Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I don't think it's inherently wrong to be buying meat in stores, but it's certainly come to be.
I'm very fortunate to be in an area with farm stores galore and even some of the bigger chains carry the local farmer's stuff.
In the US especially, your purchase is your opinion. Also in the US, people are cheap as fuck and make their opinion clear - whatever method gets you the cheapest thing; do it! The richer you are, the cheaper you are... so it becomes this cyclic cesspit of poorer and poorer standards.
However, with the stores that carry products produced with wholesome and honorable methods, it's becoming more and more accessible to break that chain of cheepniiiisss (sorry, Zappa came to mind.) I like where it's going. I don't submit to blind optimism, but I do see improvement.
I'm not angel I will buy meat from stores. Most of my meat comes from grass fed, hormone free straight from the farm. Where I live we have that option. But I'm not gonna say I don't buy from stores, fast food places etc. I agree with @Dirtbag We all have to make our own choices and live with them. Im not going to say i don't judge because I do when hypocrisy is involved. But I do feel its not my place to do so... even if I can't help it a bit. I have no issues with how someone chooses to live thier life.... I just respect that not everyone thinks the way I do and that's important because the day we do... I dont wanna be here to see it

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm not angel I will buy meat from stores. Most of my meat comes from grass fed, hormone free straight from the farm. Where I live we have that option. But I'm not gonna say I don't buy from stores, fast food places etc. I agree with @Dirtbag We all have to make our own choices and live with them. Im not going to say i don't judge because I do when hypocrisy is involved. But I do feel its not my place to do so... even if I can't help it a bit. I have no issues with how someone chooses to live thier life.... I just respect that not everyone thinks the way I do and that's important because the day we do... I dont wanna be here to see it

Same man. I am not gonna judge you or anyone for their dietary choices. Its not my place. Even if my personal beliefs differ.
If anything im constantly judging myself. Particularly in times when i am being a hypocrite. Like eating pepperoni... What can i say, pizza is my kryptonite. My morals are seriously weakened around pizza 🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Same man. I am not gonna judge you or anyone for their dietary choices. Its not my place. Even if my personal beliefs differ.
If anything im constantly judging myself. Particularly in times when i am being a hypocrite. Like eating pepperoni... What can i say, pizza is my kryptonite. My morals are seriously weakened around pizza 🤣
Pizza... nuff said 🤣 funny part is usually order pizza without meat lol. Black olives, feta, onion, tomato.... mmmm

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Oh yeah... If you want to try the best pizza youve even eaten in your entire goddamn life, try abstaining for 2 years. Holy shit that first slice after a 2 year break almost had me in tears it was so good!!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I drink this stuff for most of my calories every day just because it makes me feel good and I don't have to think about it (I get really hangry really easily). This stuff is so predictable for my body and lets me work out more consistently especially (because I don't go into crashes etc).

So now I am de facto a vegetarian most days. But I do like to supplement with cheese, bread, spreads, etc. Really just eat whatever I want. Again, it's not a diet. I am just that lazy and like the stuff that much lol.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

My weekly beef and bison consumption, especially when in meet prep, is borderline obscene. I may eat 20 pounds of steak in a work week along with 1000g a day of carbs through mostly white rice in peak.

I have raised and slaughtered beef, swine and poultry (born in rural TX, and grandparents still run beef). I've hunted on land only several times but have hunted underwater, fished, lobstered, dove and otherwise stalked marine life most of my life. On tanks, on snorkel, on boats etc (I did most of my growing up in the FL Keys). I don't think any of this gives me any moral highground or better insight. I hate cattle but I love beef. I would probably still eat this way without any of the prior experience.

Funnily enough though, now that I think of it, I basically wont touch farmed or domesticated fish.

EDITED: for accuracy

beluga

beluga

My weekly beef and bison consumption, especially when in meet prep, is borderline obscene. I may eat 20 pounds of steak in a work week along with 1000g a day of carbs through mostly white rice in peak.

I have raised and slaughtered beef, swine and poultry (born in rural TX, and grandparents still run beef). I've hunted on land only several times but have hunted underwater, fished, lobstered, dove and otherwise stalked marine life most of my life. On tanks, on snorkel, on boats etc (I did most of my growing up in the FL Keys). I don't think any of this gives me any moral highground or better insight. I hate cattle but I love beef. I would probably still eat this way without any of the prior experience.

Funnily enough though, now that I think of it, I basically wont touch farmed or domesticated fish.

EDITED: for accuracy
I can't imagine building such body mass without meat protein being very practical. I've definitely heard of some of the vegan/vegetarian builders, but I'd bet they're just constantly drinking shakes and their poops are wicked.

I try my best to not be judgemental - I realize everyone's coming from a different place with different mentalities and different reasons for their way of life. I love that about people and I think it's wonderful that we've developed, as a whole, with such variety so people can do and think whatever the fuck they please.

edit: when I'm skating daily, I've got a basal metabolic rate demanding 1800 calories. Needless to say, I have to eat a fuck ton of fish, poultry, and veg to keep up with even that.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I can't imagine building such body mass without meat protein being very practical. I've definitely heard of some of the vegan/vegetarian builders, but I'd bet they're just constantly drinking shakes and their poops are wicked.

I try my best to not be judgemental - I realize everyone's coming from a different place with different mentalities and different reasons for their way of life. I love that about people and I think it's wonderful that we've developed, as a whole, with such variety so people can do and think whatever the fuck they please.

edit: when I'm skating daily, I've got a basal metabolic rate demanding 1800 calories. Needless to say, I have to eat a fuck ton of fish, poultry, and veg to keep up with even that.

If you stack the right steroids you can build a shit ton of muscle on a vegan diet pretty easily. Maybe not IFBB huge, but certainly ripped AF. Buddy of mine is a vegan juicer, has been for the last 10-12 years or so.

I think there is a lot of misconceptions about how much protein people actually need to build muscle. To me it seems like exogenous hormones are far more important to getting that bodybuilder look lol.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

If you stack the right steroids you can build a shit ton of muscle on a vegan diet pretty easily. Maybe not IFBB huge, but certainly ripped AF. Buddy of mine is a vegan juicer, has been for the last 10-12 years or so.

I think there is a lot of misconceptions about how much protein people actually need to build muscle. To me it seems like exogenous hormones are far more important to getting that bodybuilder look lol.

Welp if you want to dive into that conversation we can do it hahaha. The short answer is it takes both.

The IFBB pro card guys claiming vegan simply are not, or have not been for long. There are a few genetic freaks here and there but by and large it takes discipline (both in training and recovery), a shitload of food (although I generally agree with you people overshoot protein needs, even the very biggest don't need much over 1g per pound of bodyweight per day), and the right drugs.

Exogenous hormones alone will only take you so far, it's not exactly the 'win now' button people make it out to be.

All that being said I only compete in untested meets ran by non-testing federations (USPA here in America mostly) and if you want to be competitive in my weight classes in my federation you're on gear. Period. The ceiling is simply too low otherwise. Again there are outliers like Dennis Cornelius (go look him up if you care) who can squat 800+ for reps natty but there's like...4.

Most of the high level pretty boys (IFFB/bodybuilding) have a sponsor to help them afford pharmaceutical GH in very large doses on top of their AAS.

I'm very much a 'minimum affective dose' kinda guy. In a usual training year where I compete twice I'll spend 16 weeks on cycle, and only 8 of those weeks will I be taking more than what's considered a 'beginners first cycle' dose. The other 36 weeks of the year I'm natty and training for size.

EDIT - this isn't common in competitive powerlifting, most of the guys 'blast and cruise' (never come off just lower the dose) and go crazy with the shit...I could tell you some stories hahaha

P.P.S. - Shredded is easy, huge is difficult, big AF and shredded is nearly impossible. It takes all three of the things I listed plus insane genetics. I could never. I just big&strong&dumb

beluga

beluga

But still... the poops?!

I don't know what I'm talking about past this point...

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Okay, so this is super out there but I think it's a potential solution to supermarkets trying to force-sell factory farmed bullshit.

The food supply chain is the same from restaurants to grocery stores. They all order from the same meat, fish, produce, and dairy companies. The issue with factory farming and grocery stores is that grocery stores frequently don't care about how a product tastes or how it was made because they think about the business model as selling "food products" instead of food, so taste is way down the list of things they consider.

Most, if not all of these wholesale companies will deliver to private homes with an order minimum, or at least let people come pick up from their local warehouse. Chef's Warehouse/Dairyland, Sysco, International Gourmet Foods, Euro Gourmet, etc will all take whatever business comes their way. A 50# bag of onions at wholesale is like ten dollars. Same with baking supplies like flour and sugar- ALWAYS cheaper to buy wholesale. A case of like 25 free range chickens is like $35. Whole pork shoulders usually come in under $20 total. With fish, it's the same deal but everyone has access to the off cuts like heads. I used to buy grouper heads at .25/lb, cut the collars and cheeks out, and sell the dish with them for $15. 35# cases of butter are around $60-70 ish right now.

Essentially, in my mind we as a society don't need grocery stores or most retail stores anymore. They all follow the same model of ordering things that are available to the consumer directly and marking them up for their "help" in buying them. This is one thing in, say, wine or liquor, where many people need help picking out a bottle.

But nobody asks grocery store employees which brand of saltines to buy, or how the beef they carry was raised and slaughtered. Those are the questions that wholesale companies are equipped to answer, and the retail employees then have plausible deniability when they answer whatever way they think the customer wants to hear.

Every consumer should be educated enough about their food and where it comes from to be able to pool purchases and meet the wholesale minimum. We don't need grocery stores, amazon, or any other middleman to decide what brand of chocolate or butter we buy, they're just the status quo. Capitalism is rife with bloated selling structures to ensure that middlemen get their cut- the best way to save money is always to buy from the top of the chain.

The wholesale companies are where the real value and selection is. Specialty butter, vanilla beans, chocolate, candy making stuff, spices (to a lesser extent sometimes), meats, and cheeses are FAR easier to get.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Okay, so this is super out there but I think it's a potential solution to supermarkets trying to force-sell factory farmed bullshit.

The food supply chain is the same from restaurants to grocery stores. They all order from the same meat, fish, produce, and dairy companies. The issue with factory farming and grocery stores is that grocery stores frequently don't care about how a product tastes or how it was made because they think about the business model as selling "food products" instead of food, so taste is way down the list of things they consider.

Most, if not all of these wholesale companies will deliver to private homes with an order minimum, or at least let people come pick up from their local warehouse. Chef's Warehouse/Dairyland, Sysco, International Gourmet Foods, Euro Gourmet, etc will all take whatever business comes their way. A 50# bag of onions at wholesale is like ten dollars. Same with baking supplies like flour and sugar- ALWAYS cheaper to buy wholesale. A case of like 25 free range chickens is like $35. Whole pork shoulders usually come in under $20 total. With fish, it's the same deal but everyone has access to the off cuts like heads. I used to buy grouper heads at .25/lb, cut the collars and cheeks out, and sell the dish with them for $15. 35# cases of butter are around $60-70 ish right now.

Essentially, in my mind we as a society don't need grocery stores or most retail stores anymore. They all follow the same model of ordering things that are available to the consumer directly and marking them up for their "help" in buying them. This is one thing in, say, wine or liquor, where many people need help picking out a bottle.

But nobody asks grocery store employees which brand of saltines to buy, or how the beef they carry was raised and slaughtered. Those are the questions that wholesale companies are equipped to answer, and the retail employees then have plausible deniability when they answer whatever way they think the customer wants to hear.

Every consumer should be educated enough about their food and where it comes from to be able to pool purchases and meet the wholesale minimum. We don't need grocery stores, amazon, or any other middleman to decide what brand of chocolate or butter we buy, they're just the status quo. Capitalism is rife with bloated selling structures to ensure that middlemen get their cut- the best way to save money is always to buy from the top of the chain.

The wholesale companies are where the real value and selection is. Specialty butter, vanilla beans, chocolate, candy making stuff, spices (to a lesser extent sometimes), meats, and cheeses are FAR easier to get.
Products people treat as commodities should be direct to consumer with time.

Pretty sad when people round off the nuance of life to try and live in a catalog, but whatever.

As you demonstrate, there are plenty of products where it does not matter.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We have an 80 year old privately owned food market here. They buy local meat and veggies when possible. And supplement with great tasting stuff from other areas seasonally.

And most of the towns out here in west michigan have similar stores.

We might be sick and bankrupt out here but we got plenty of mom and pop shops.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Products people treat as commodities should be direct to consumer with time.

Pretty sad when people round off the nuance of life to try and live in a catalog, but whatever.

As you demonstrate, there are plenty of products where it does not matter.

You dont seem to be taking to your brain washing for someone online so much. ;-)

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

We have an 80 year old privately owned food market here. They buy local meat and veggies when possible. And supplement with great tasting stuff from other areas seasonally.

And most of the towns out here in west michigan have similar stores.

We might be sick and bankrupt out here but we got plenty of mom and pop shops.

Now THAT is a business model to support. Part of the problem with grocery stores is that most of their produce is imported banana republic garbage. If everywhere had stores like that, the world would be a better place.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Latest posts

Top Bottom