Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Found it. Here is the excerpt on mg.

Magnesium is an essential component of chlorophyll and plays an important role in plant development (Pinkerton, 1972; Smith, 2009). In tobacco, an increased magnesium content in a leaf (up to 2%) enhances the combustibility and appearance of ash (color and texture), resulting in porous, loose, and light-colored ash. A magnesium deficiency reduces leaf quality, produces dark, cured leaves with uneven coloration and reduces the sugar content along with increases in the amount of ash (Pinkerton, 1972; Rojo, 2008; Smith, 2009). The K:Mg ratio in soil is a useful indicator of the magnesium supply for plants and, for tobacco, its value ranges from 4:1 to 7:1 (Pinkerton, 1972; Smith, 2009). The requirement for MgO in tobacco, according to various authors, is 10-12 kg ha-1 (Rojo, 2008), 33 kg ha-1 (Reed et al., 2011), 16-20 kg ha-1 (Smith, 2009), or 31 kg ha-1 (Ballari, 2005) for a yield of 3,200 kg ha-1.

And here is a link to it. Its pretty interesting.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well they say ph dont matter with organic... guess im gonna find out. plants needed water but my ph hadnt drifted up all the way yet so in it went.. at 4.8..

Fingers crossed this once wont hurt. Things are looking better by the day in here.
20201130 130337

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
What about doing a KNF grow next. That would really be cool to see. Someone doing it that knows what to do with the plant.

Honestly it just seems like more work than I have time for. If this goes well ill probably just stay here. Maybe lol. Not sure if i can even get half the EJ lineup anymore but ill see. Might try biobizz or another organic line.

Anyhow 4 hrs after feeding I ran another cup of plain water through a pot and collected the runoff to test, and its coming out at 6ph so im thinking itll be fine hitting them with that low ass ph feed this one time. If anything they look happier than they did a few hrs ago.
20201130 160710

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Im heading to town this afternoon to grab the Co2 tanks and get the gas on these ladies. Im pretty excited, first time supplementing Co2. Ive heard and read a lot about the wonders of adding Co2 and cant wait to see for myself what it can do with my setup. Huge thanks again to @Aqua Man for hookin a brother up with the necessary gear to make this happen! Im super grateful and cant wait to put this to use.

I think ill drop these parabolics right down on the canopy, one nice thing about vertical hung parabolics is they dont throw radiant heat at the plants, so with the Co2 im thinking theyll be able to handle the extra intensity of running them 16" over the canopy instead of the 18-24" i normally run.

Lights come on in a few mins... Curious to see if theyre still happy looking, that low ph feed made me nervous.. But, I think theyll be fine. Next batch of nutes in the res is almost up to 5.5 so i think its ph will be in the 6's by tomorrow no prob.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im heading to town this afternoon to grab the Co2 tanks and get the gas on these ladies. Im pretty excited, first time supplementing Co2. Ive heard and read a lot about the wonders of adding Co2 and cant wait to see for myself what it can do with my setup. Huge thanks again to @Aqua Man for hookin a brother up with the necessary gear to make this happen! Im super grateful and cant wait to put this to use.

I think ill drop these parabolics right down on the canopy, one nice thing about vertical hung parabolics is they dont throw radiant heat at the plants, so with the Co2 im thinking theyll be able to handle the extra intensity of running them 16" over the canopy instead of the 18-24" i normally run.

Lights come on in a few mins... Curious to see if theyre still happy looking, that low ph feed made me nervous.. But, I think theyll be fine. Next batch of nutes in the res is almost up to 5.5 so i think its ph will be in the 6's by tomorrow no prob.
Pumped to see how this goes... hoping the tanks last a while and the ppm at the canopy works out... fingers crossed bro

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Pumped to see how this goes... hoping the tanks last a while and the ppm at the canopy works out... fingers crossed bro
Its an experiment. I knew a guy back in the day who used Co2 in a vented setup and it worked well for him. He used a burner though and only ran it in flower. Was very crude but worked.

Honestly even if it only lasts for a few weeks, timed right to last for the bud growth phase of weeks 2-6 it should seriously help increase bud size.

And right now with it being so cold out my ventilation only comes on once every 10 min or so and cools the room quick. I actually think im gonna get decent results with it!

Anthem

Anthem

Its an experiment. I knew a guy back in the day who used Co2 in a vented setup and it worked well for him. He used a burner though and only ran it in flower. Was very crude but worked.

Honestly even if it only lasts for a few weeks, timed right to last for the bud growth phase of weeks 2-6 it should seriously help increase bud size.

And right now with it being so cold out my ventilation only comes on once every 10 min or so and cools the room quick. I actually think im gonna get decent results with it!
You will be surprised by how well it stays in the room with just the door shut and no outside venting.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
You will be surprised by how well it stays in the room with just the door shut and no outside venting.

I am venting from outside. Thats the clincher..
My temps are controlled by bringing in cold air from outside.

But my room is fairly well setup to get decent laminar flow and maintain a consistent climate below the canopy. I think the gas will hang around enough to be benificial, but no doubt im gonna burn through it way faster than in a sealed setup.

Anthem

Anthem

I am venting from outside. Thats the clincher..
My temps are controlled by bringing in cold air from outside.

But my room is fairly well setup to get decent laminar flow and maintain a consistent climate below the canopy. I think the gas will hang around enough to be benificial, but no doubt im gonna burn through it way faster than in a sealed setup.
CO2 is heavy so it tends to sink down to the canopy level for what it is worth. Titan sells CO2 rain tubing. It has holes like every 6" or so to help spread out the CO2.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
CO2 is heavy so it tends to sink down to the canopy level for what it is worth. Titan sells CO2 rain tubing. It has holes like every 6" or so to help spread out the CO2.

Totally, and with my 10 foot cieling there is a lot of room between the canopy and the exhaust right up on the cieling..

I have always used a 4" inline fan on the floor that blows air into a piece of perforated ducting that runs down the middle of the room and blows air under the canopy. It draws air from the header house, and the header house draws air from just above the canopy in the flower room. Its complicated lol..
My plan is to just inject the Co2 directly into that perforated floor duct just past the fan. Any Co2 will at least have to rise up past the plants if its gonna get vented out.

Honestly if there was a ventilted setup that should work well with Co2, its mine.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If you find yourself south of Seattle, I'll give you a climate controller that'll shut off the gas when your exhaust turns on.
Thats a thing? I guess i shouldnt be surprised...

Funny I just grabbed the tanks and the 20# Aluminum is lighter than the 10# steel tank by quite a bit. Grabbed a few more stakes and some cushion wire, i figure ill spend a couple hrs in the room tonight, get it all staked and tied, do a little prune, get the Co2 hooked up... Make a night of it. Should be pretty hands off from there out.

Top Bottom