Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I was a plant based eater for 2 years and the ONLY thing i craved was cheese. Ultimately it was pizza that ended that experiment.

Still eat mostly plant based, but i also eat eggs, fish and of course pizza lol.

beluga

beluga

I had the realization (after a deep mushroom trip, of course) that I shouldn't eat things that I wouldn't be comfortable killing and preparing / disemboweling myself. Pretty much took all mammals off the table. Fish and stupid ground birds, for whatever reason, don't impact my psyche as much...
Also, once you meet some cows, I really don't know how you could feel comfortable with ever eating them again.

I should add that I do also believe it's a subjective choice to choose to kill one lifeform over another, even plants.
But... squeamishness and biophilia come into play...

amekins

amekins

Gotta bring it back to this and give all you guys a shoutout.

I've run through the gambit of online discussion forums... beer, mushrooms, skateboarding (🤢), and cannabis since the overgrow 1.0 days.
Gotta say, this one's got a special kind of attitude within its members.
Most of the other ones are riddled with ego-stroking, putting people down, and just generally repulsive attitudes especially towards people who are new and maybe need a different explanation than the same redundant rhetoric that all the 'elites' drill into everyone's mind as some kind of prophetic gospel.
Don't get me wrong, there are great members throughout the ethos and I'm sure this community wouldn't be what it is without contributions from all those adjacent.

I'm not usually one to show-and-tell unless contractually obliged or I'm getting paid for it; and, yeah, pandemics are rough even for pretty heavily introverted folks like myself... but this community's way of positively encouraging each other without compromising legitimacy/professionalism really hooked its claws into me.
Thanks guys!
^^^^👏👏👏❤️

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I had the realization (after a deep mushroom trip, of course) that I shouldn't eat things that I wouldn't be comfortable killing and preparing / disemboweling myself. Pretty much took all mammals off the table. Fish and stupid ground birds, for whatever reason, don't impact my psyche as much...
Also, once you meet some cows, I really don't know how you could feel comfortable with ever eating them again.

I should add that I do also believe it's a subjective choice to choose to kill one lifeform over another, even plants.
I still vividly remember my grandfather taunting me about being such a baby over slaughtering a chicken lol.

After I did it, tbh i got his point.

Never killed a cow or a pig before though.

There's an absolutely excellent book i am reading now by an English shepherd named James Rebanks called English Pastoral: An Inheritance that is just freaking sensational from a farmer's perspective.

amekins

amekins

I was a plant based eater for 2 years and the ONLY thing i craved was cheese. Ultimately it was pizza that ended that experiment.

Still eat mostly plant based, but i also eat eggs, fish and of course pizza lol.
We would probably be close to vegan here if not for dairy. But I still occasionally have chicken and fish.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Hahaha, thats how it happened for me too. I was actually a hunter/fisherman at the time and ive always found it very difficult to kill deer, even killing crabs bothered me because they fight with you so much when youre trying to stick them with a knife. Pretty clear they are fighting for their life.
Anyway, one fall me and two buddies were going to eat a pile of liberty cap chocolates. Me and a friend had already eaten our dose and the third friend was on his way. When he gets here he has this stupid look on his face and says guess what ive got.. Takes us around to the back of his truck.. He'd hit a deer on his way over.

So we are like, ok, weve got about 45 min to dress this thing before the mushrooms kick in. So we hung it up and got to work. Right about the time we were pulling out the gut pile the mushrooms kicked in hard. Ive never had such an awful feeling come over me, my hands and arms were covered in blood up to my elbows, and the smell was revolting. We got to the point of cutting out the genitals and nobody could finish the dressing. We were too damn tripped out by it and felt like fucking monsters. Ended up abandoning the damn thing, high as fuck lol.. The next day, i dropped all animal products and stopped hunting and fishing.

Factory farms are deplorable. And the way animals are treated for consumption is horrendous. Even now i feel a bit guilty going back to eating certain animal products, but i try to limit it and only buy eggs from friends with chickens. I get fish from friends who fish. Cheese is about the only factory produced animal product i buy, and i try to keep it to once a month or so.

This short 2:50 video very clearly shows what manifested in my thought process that night. I looked at animals in a different way ever since. I think EVERYONE should literally be forced to watch this video.

Last edited:
beluga

beluga

Had a hard time figuring out the reaction for that one. All the feels.
I think it comes down to intention and respect.
I'll absolutely eat any meat that someone else put their hard work into and respected the life the animal gave for our sustenance - my hands and heart just can't do it. Certainly never factory cows for a plethora of reasons. Don't need to drive through the midwest more than once to see how despicable that shit is.
When I fish or hunt grouse, I make sure to get sentimental about it. I should feel it. But... I do like their meat and I think they have the numbers to make up for my individual demand on their population.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Once you learn about factory farming, it takes a lot of cognitive dissonance to keep eating like you were imo.

There are a lot of areas in our lives for cognitive dissonance of course. Just saying that's one of em.

amekins

amekins

Had a hard time figuring out the reaction for that one. All the feels.
I think it comes down to intention and respect.
I'll absolutely eat any meat that someone else put their hard work into and respected the life the animal gave for our sustenance - my hands and heart just can't do it. Certainly never factory cows for a plethora of reasons. Don't need to drive through the midwest more than once to see how despicable that shit is.
When I fish or hunt grouse, I make sure to get sentimental about it. I should feel it. But... I do like their meat and I think they have the numbers to make up for my individual demand on their population.
I agree, and I wholly believe it’s this culture of excess that has ultimately led to mass production and detachment from the emotional practices, including respect for the animal, only taking what is needed from the animal world (and that is debatable), and not wasting anything. I may not be able to eat chicken and fish now. The dairy is hanging on because I have yet to find milk or cheese substitutes for eating and drinking that are palatable.

beluga

beluga

I agree, and I wholly believe it’s this culture of excess that has ultimately led to mass production and detachment from the emotional practices, including respect for the animal, only taking what is needed from the animal world (and that is debatable), and not wasting anything. I may not be able to eat chicken and fish now. The dairy is hanging on because I have yet to find milk or cheese substitutes for eating and drinking that are palatable.

Oat milk and cashew cheese products are pretty damn good. But no replacement. Especially in baking/cooking... forget about it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I am a meat eater and will often eat a pure meat dinner. Also a huge anti animal abuse person. I believe that everyone should be required to harvest thier own atleast once in life to understand where thier food comes from. Nothing is more upsetting than the unwarranted or wasted death of an animal. But to me its a staple and there is no way I could live without it. A couple times a year a make a prime rib (my favorite) nobody in my house likes it but I will eat nothing but prime rib for 2 days straight living in my glory doing so.

It's definitely something I think many are blind to... and it angers me when ppl can sit there eating a cheeseburger while saying hunting is cruel. I also believe many of these producers should be locked up but lets not forget there are many humane producers as well. It's not all doom and gloom but I do feel animal cruelty needs to carry much higher penalties.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

The thing i learned from being vegan for 2 years is that, really in terms of diet, nothing is needed from animals for humans to thrive. And the best way to respect an animal is to leave it the fuck alone lol.

But youre right there is no good substitute for cheese. At least not in terms of pizza. And i cant argue.. eggs and fish, despite being technically unnecessary are an excellent source of nutrition. My problem lies more in how the eggs and fish you buy at the store are produced or harvested. I know the eggs i eat came from chickens that are more pets than livestock. And the fish i eat was caught on a line, so there is no bicatch loss.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I am a meat eater and will often eat a pure meat dinner. Also a huge anti animal abuse person. I believe that everyone should be required to harvest thier own atleast once in life to understand where thier food comes from. Nothing is more upsetting than the unwarranted or wasted death of an animal. But to me its a staple and there is no way I could live without it. A couple times a year a make a prime rib (my favorite) nobody in my house likes it but I will eat nothing but prime rib for 2 days straight living in my glory doing so.

It's definitely something I think many are blind to... and it angers me when ppl can sit there eating a cheeseburger while saying hunting is cruel. I also believe many of these producers should be locked up but lets not forget there are many humane producers as well. It's not all doom and gloom but I do feel animal cruelty needs to carry much higher penalties.

Ill be honest i disagree with a lot of this. Particularly the idea that something that doesnt want to, or need to die, can be raised in enslavement and killed "humanely". Also, i can promise you would survive without it.

And honestly i feel more like, meat eaters should be forced to work at a pig farm and take that animal to the slaughterhouse and slaughter, then process the pig themselves. That would be a much more accurate representation of where meat comes from than hunting.

That said, people can do what they want. I never try to be preachy about this subject and i understand that im in the vast minority with my beliefs.

I can absolutely respect hunters that tune into the natural world and hunt animals in the traditional way. I dont kid myself, humans have eaten animals since we left Eden (not religious, just a metaphor..)
But in no way do i consider that anywhere near the same thing as buying meat at the grocery store or butcher shop. Not even close.

beluga

beluga

Ill be honest i disagree with a lot of this. Particularly the idea that something that doesnt want to, or need to die, can be raised in enslavement and killed "humanely". Also, i can promise you would survive without it.

And honestly i feel more like, meat eaters should be forced to work at a pig farm and take that animal to the slaughterhouse and slaughter, then process the pig themselves. That would be a much more accurate representation of where meat comes from than hunting.

That said, people can do what they want. I never try to be preachy about this subject and i understand that im in the vast minority with my beliefs.

I can absolutely respect hunters that tune into the natural world and hunt animals in the traditional way. I dont kid myself, humans have eaten animals since we left Eden (not religious, just a metaphor..)
But in no way do i consider that anywhere near the same thing as buying meat at the grocery store or butcher shop. Not even close.

I don't think it's inherently wrong to be buying meat in stores, but it's certainly come to be.
I'm very fortunate to be in an area with farm stores galore and even some of the bigger chains carry the local farmer's stuff.
In the US especially, your purchase is your opinion. Also in the US, people are cheap as fuck and make their opinion clear - whatever method gets you the cheapest thing; do it! The richer you are, the cheaper you are... so it becomes this cyclic cesspit of poorer and poorer standards.
However, with the stores that carry products produced with wholesome and honorable methods, it's becoming more and more accessible to break that chain of cheepniiiisss (sorry, Zappa came to mind.) I like where it's going. I don't submit to blind optimism, but I do see improvement.

Top Bottom