Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
organicplanet

organicplanet

Thread titles need to be 5 words min now? Thats weird...

Anyway.. Ok, This isn't news for some of you but my last grow went tits up due to a mechanical disaster... so I'm having to start over.

Just got back from town with supplies to get things planted up tomorrow.

This one is a big departure for Ol' Dirtbag. Im mixing up an organic soil and feeding organic also. This isn't exactly a first for me, but its been 20 years anyway.. Reason for going back to organics is simple, this pot is all for me and my head alone, so quality is the only factor im measuring.

Soil mix will be 109L of Proterra peat mix, 20L canna coco, 20L worm castings, 4 cups gaia green 4-4-4,... and 4 cups of neem seed meal.
Using 5 gal fabric pots and handwatering for this round..

Feeding will be lakewater with calcium silicate and Epsom added, and using Earth Juice Grow, Bloom and micros. Skipped the catalyst as it seems like its mostly enzymes, carbs and kelp. I will be supplementing Kelp with floraliscious plus, Enzymes I use already... Not planning on using molasses.

Tomorrow is planting day! For now... Here is a pic of my Nutes lol...View attachment 1049992
if your using bottle nutrients then your not organic ...true organics is about feeding the soil web ...aka microbes, nematodes .fungi, and a host of bacteria ...do some research ..look up super soil recipe ..then look up compost tea recipes ..all on youtube

organicplanet

organicplanet

Anyway.. Ok, This isn't news for some of you but my last grow went tits up due to a mechanical disaster... so I'm having to start over.

This one is a big departure for Ol' Dirtbag. Im mixing up an organic soil and feeding organic also. This isn't exactly a first for me, but its been 20 years anyway.. Reason for going back to organics is simple, this pot is all for me and my head alone, so quality is the only factor im measuring.

Soil mix will be 109L of Proterra peat mix, 20L canna coco, 20L worm castings, 4 cups gaia green 4-4-4,... and 4 cups of neem seed meal.

Feeding will be lakewater with calcium silicate and Epsom added, and using Earth Juice Grow, Bloom and micros. Skipped the catalyst as it seems like its mostly enzymes, carbs and kelp. I will be supplementing Kelp with floraliscious plus, Enzymes I use already... Not planning on using molasses.

Tomorrow is planting day! For now... Here is a pic of my Nutes lol...View attachment 1049992
IMG 0263

IMG 0168
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

if your using bottle nutrients then your not organic ...true organics is about feeding the soil web ...aka microbes, nematodes .fungi, and a host of bacteria ...do some research ..look up super soil recipe ..then look up compost tea recipes ..all on youtube

So my fermented fruit juice is organic, but if I put it in a bottle and sold it to someone it wouldn’t be organic anymore? Good to know I will leave it in a jar so it will be organic lol

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

Why aren’t you planning on using Molasses in your grow?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So organic and inorganic nutrients are both in the form of inorganic salts when the plants take them up... the only difference is the process in which they are transformed into inorganic salts... so really the plants never take up organic nutrients and plants don't care how they are derived only that they are available.

I do agree you feed the microbes but the reason you do is so they process the organic feed into inorganic salts.

So are you saying organically derived bottled nutes are not organic since they have been processed by microbes the same way previous to addition to the soil?

greenscholar

greenscholar

lol people kill me so whats the difference if organic nutes are wet or dry? So you think they are not being broken down? Its like brewing organic coffee in a coffee maker and saying its not organic unless the you boil your water to 200 degeress and take 2 minutes to pour the 12 ounces of water, then set a stop watch watch for 3 minutes. Now thats organic. just because it ain't your cup of tea or coffee, doesn't mean science magically disappears.

beluga

beluga

Well, that's a different way to look at it and I don't think what people are generally concerned about with conventional vs organic nutrients.
I think (even though Aqua has probably swayed my ever-swaying opinion in the way of "it doesn't make a difference to the plant's uptake and composition") the concern is that the mechanism of action implants excess inorganic and carcinogenic compounds into the systemic makeup of your plants... which has been found to be true with things like PGR's. Nutrients tend to be different, as far as we (especially Aqua) know right now.
It isn't the way we feed them; it's the what we feed them.
Sending organic coffee through a specific mechanism doesn't make it inorganic. Sending organic coffee through a specific mechanism that has been used for conventional coffee does... in that it compromises the organic integrity of that organic coffee.

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

Well, that's a different way to look at it and I don't think what people are generally concerned about with conventional vs organic nutrients.
I think (even though Aqua has probably swayed my ever-swaying opinion in the way of "it doesn't make a difference to the plant's uptake and composition") the concern is that the mechanism of action implants excess inorganic and carcinogenic compounds into the systemic makeup of your plants... which has been found to be true with things like PGR's. Nutrients tend to be different, as far as we (especially Aqua) know right now.
It isn't the way we feed them; it's the what we feed them.
Sending organic coffee through a specific mechanism doesn't make it inorganic. Sending organic coffee through a specific mechanism that has been used for conventional coffee does... in that it compromises the organic integrity of that organic coffee.
if the essentials are received the plant is happy. ✌️🌱🥳✌️

beluga

beluga

if the essentials are received the plant is happy. ✌🌱🥳
For sure. But where do these companies draw the line at 'essential' and what does it actually necessitate to produce those essentials?
Teflon(PTFE) is fairly inactive and harmless in normal conditions, but the production of it is bonkers and when it deteriorates, it's toxic.

I dunno. I think there's a lot more to know.

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

For sure. But where do these companies draw the line at 'essential' and what does it actually necessitate to produce those essentials?
Teflon(PTFE) is fairly inactive and harmless in normal conditions, but the production of it is bonkers and when it deteriorates, it's toxic.

I dunno. I think there's a lot more to know.
From an organic chemist viewpoint PTFE....production and deterioration is volatile! And companies most likely don’t draw the line where it’s always humanly safe but more importantly FOCUS on making more dollar bills. It’s up to the grower to advocate for themselves to what they want....a bigger yield, more terpines, higher THC, whatever it is....and focus on how to achieve that. If you want a higher THC content then research 🧐 seeds that have high THC content and purchase those to grow. But always DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH 🧐!!! There’s always more to know!

beluga

beluga

From an organic chemist viewpoint PTFE....production and deterioration is volatile! And companies most likely don’t draw the line where it’s always humanly safe but more importantly FOCUS on making more dollar bills. It’s up to the grower to advocate for themselves to what they want....a bigger yield, more terpines, higher THC, whatever it is....and focus on how to achieve that. If you want a higher THC content then research 🧐 seeds that have high THC content and purchase those to grow. But always DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH 🧐!!! There’s always more to know!
Exactly.
So... it makes that OMRI label really appealing to me, at least. I know that only goes so far, just like a USDA or QAI Organic label only says so much.
Read, read, read.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

I knew It was only a matter of time before someone with the word "organic" in their name stopped in to drop knowlege on me.

My soil has worm castings, alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal, glacial rock dust, mined potassium sulphate, fossilised carbon complex, rock phosphate, greensand, kelp meal, and gypsum in it. The Earth juice is used supplementally as a tea to provide extra nutrition and breed beneficial colonies. Im sorry if that doesnt qualify for your definition of organic, but frankly my dear, i dont really give a damn..

Sorry, I should have been more clear, true organic wasnt my goal here, im running fauxganic.

amekins

amekins

I knew It was only a matter of time before someone with the word "organic" in their name stopped in to drop knowlege on me.

My soil has worm castings, alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal, glacial rock dust, mined potassium sulphate, fossilised carbon complex, rock phosphate, greensand, kelp meal, and gypsum in it. The Earth juice is used supplementally as a tea to provide extra nutrition and breed beneficial colonies. Im sorry if that doesnt qualify for your definition of organic, but frankly my dear, i dont really give a damn..

Sorry, I should have been more clear, true organic wasnt my goal here, im running fauxganic.
Flexiganic.

beluga

beluga

Flexiganic.
Stuff.
(ganic.)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Some of the things ive been reading suggest it causes a bloom of bacteria that can actually change the soil composition in a negative way. Plus, im using catalyst now anyway which has sugars in it. I jjst make sure to bubble it really well so that the bloom happens and dies back in the res and not in the pot.
With the caveat that this is all theorhetical for me at the moment..

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

Exactly.
So... it makes that OMRI label really appealing to me, at least. I know that only goes so far, just like a USDA or QAI Organic label only says so much.
Read, read, read.
EXACTLY! Your knowledge interprets LABELS! Be your own advocate. If your going to consume it know what your putting in your body.🌱✌️🤔🧐❤️

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

Some of the things ive been reading suggest it causes a bloom of bacteria that can actually change the soil composition in a negative way. Plus, im using catalyst now anyway which has sugars in it. I jjst make sure to bubble it really well so that the bloom happens and dies back in the res and not in the pot.
With the caveat that this is all theorhetical for me at the moment..
Explain this theory to me in more detail....your trying to deliver pure elements (so you don’t get a lock up or bacterial bloom) I get that so far, is there more or is that the objective?

Latest posts

Top Bottom