Dirtbags Do-over... 🤪 Back to Organic!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BroScience101

I run a sealed room also and its not your soil making the majority of the co2 its the plant respiration. Take plants out of your living soil and test it... you will see next to nothing. I wouldn't bother with co2 either. To truly take full advantage of co2 you do need the lighting to do so. Honestly if you don't feel its worth it you aren't using it right. But you will see a benefit however if its a cost vs gain then I agree it's likely not as beneficial in your grow as it could be and probably not worth for you.

Now in @Dirtbag situation its probably similar and in order to see the full benefits he would need to seal and increase the lighting to see the full potential of co2.

Like I say its a cost vs gain... in hydro where growth is already amped up that 20-30% increase is huge... living soil definitely not as much but should be seeing a gain from it

Jeez man. What's your issue? Would it feed your ego if I simply said "everything you think and say is correct and everything everyone else thinks and says is hogwash"?

I had 3000+ppm co2 with just the living soil. No plants. Not even lights on. I mixed the soil, put it into containers, and stuck it in the room while I waited two weeks for my clones to root. I would check every day on the soil and the room. And that's when I was like "this is out of hand" and had to start venting the inactive room because of the soil. This continued even after I planted the clones. Only when the clones where finally in their second week of veg and a lot larher with a lot more leaves did the co2 start going down.

But dude, I'm not into this whole back and forth thing with strangers on the internet. Your grow room far exceeds mine. As does your knowledge. And LEDs are king. Please stop now

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I run a sealed room also and its not your soil making the majority of the co2 its the plant respiration. Take plants out of your living soil and test it...

Taking away the plants will effect the soil microbiome's respiration rate since the soil is metabolizing exudates from the plants. Not sure how you would test this accurately since capturing the co2 coming off the soil will also effect the respiration rate by blocking oxygen and comparing to a soilless grow would also not work since the plants will metabolize at different rates under the different conditions.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Jeez man. What's your issue? Would it feed your ego if I simply said "everything you think and say is correct and everything everyone else thinks and says is hogwash"?

I had 3000+ppm co2 with just the living soil. No plants. Not even lights on. I mixed the soil, put it into containers, and stuck it in the room while I waited two weeks for my clones to root. I would check every day on the soil and the room. And that's when I was like "this is out of hand" and had to start venting the inactive room because of the soil. This continued even after I planted the clones. Only when the clones where finally in their second week of veg and a lot larher with a lot more leaves did the co2 start going down.

But dude, I'm not into this whole back and forth thing with strangers on the internet. Your grow room far exceeds mine. As does your knowledge. And LEDs are king. Please stop now
So 3000ppm over 2 weeks generated that plants would eat up in an hour with good light... got it.

I have no issue. I'm simply saying some of your info is really suspect... especially on the LED.

Who supplements co2 at high ppm for clones? It matters in late veg and flower. My only issue is the advice your giving based on the fact you say take it from someone who has experience with it thatbits not worth it....

Your saying take it from someone who runs a sealed room. That its not worth it and I'm saying it's not worth it because your not doing it right.

Its not about ego but when you make a statement as a matter of fact like you did about LED and about co2.... then you may expect some debate on it.. or like you say do you expect everyone to just agree with your opinion...hypocrite much?

Ueah ill just drop it cause you right... you know your experience with something is all that matters and should not be challenged.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Taking away the plants will effect the soil microbiome's respiration rate since the soil is metabolizing exudates from the plants. Not sure how you would test this accurately since capturing the co2 coming off the soil will also effect the respiration rate by blocking oxygen and comparing to a soilless grow would also not work since the plants will metabolize at different rates under the different conditions.
Yeah I get that... it was more of a point the plants do quite a bit more than the microbes is all.

B

BroScience101

So 3000ppm over 2 weeks generated that plants would eat up in an hour with good light... got it.

I have no issue. I'm simply saying some of your info is really suspect... especially on the LED.

Who supplements co2 at high ppm for clones? It matters in late veg and flower. My only issue is the advice your giving based on the fact you say take it from someone who has experience with it thatbits not worth it....

Your saying take it from someone who runs a sealed room. That its not worth it and I'm saying it's not worth it because your not doing it right.

Its not about ego but when you make a statement as a matter of fact like you did about LED and about co2.... then you may expect some debate on it.. or like you say do you expect everyone to just agree with your opinion...hypocrite much?

Ueah ill just drop it cause you right... you know your experience with something is all that matters and should not be challenged.

You're absolutely correct. My apologies. Please stop quoting me

Fudge

Fudge

Did some fun math. Co2 is about 243L per pound. 2430L in a 10 pound tank. My tank is purging at 6Lpm for 8 hrs straight...

According to this, my 10# tank should be empty by the time i get home from work 🤣

I've been using this from day 1 during flower, icba in checking ppm etc it's such a minimal cost to run. I just stick it into my intakes Have to fill every week though but not sure if it's viable for exact release like you guys need, but you can add a soldenoid to regulate on/off so it's only on during lights on

I just assumed slightly enriching the co2 would be beneficial.

Not wanting to start a debate again just putting this out there

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well my tank pressure is down from 850ish to 600. Pretty sure that means its almost toast as the pressure dont start to drop until its nearly empty.

So, less than 2 days for a 10# tank? lol... I do not think Co2 is gonna be viable in here without a minisplit.

Damn.. Wish i had of tested this one before hydro testing and filling the 20# tank too.. No sense running Co2 for only a week.

20201203 173015
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have to say... my nutrient solution smells like a septic tank. I think its from the fish shit. It smells exactly like it. Ive been reserving a few gallons of solution everytime i top up my res so i think ive got a deadly amount of bacteria populating the res. But it does stink. No doubt... I think the bacteria from the fish shit just love these earth juice nutrients.

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

This is a valid point. Led is for the Amazon hobbyist. I could never run led in any of my grows without losing insane amounts of yield and profit.

My old 2014, 10x20 , 8k hid, hydro grow tent posted on these forums under my old account "foodoo"

View attachment 1063381

And my current 11 x 11 , 5.2k hid no till living organic soil grow

View attachment 1063382

If you offered me 10k cash and free led hardware to advertise my grows on social media I would instantly decline because I'd lose more money in yield than I would gain from the free 10k and led grow

If people like using led more power to them, and vice versa for hid guys. We just gotta be happy and content with what we have

Built these new rooms a bit ago and looked briefly into led over hps and went with one 1000w hps over each plant. Legal medical 4 plant 13 gal current culture on 60 in centers with the option to double the size on January 1.

Led's may have their place somewhere but i didn't think they were a good fit for growing small trees.

That, and I'm an old fart.

Last edited:
Fudge

Fudge

I have to say... my nutrient solution smells like a septic tank. I think its from the fish shit. It smells exactly like it. Ive been reserving a few gallons of solution everytime i top up my res so i think ive got a deadly amount of bacteria populating the res. But it does stink. No doubt... I think the bacteria from the fish shit just love these earth juice nutrients.

Got my son a beauty with fish shit. Asked him to smell molassas nd he liked it liking it to black treacle type smell.

Then I told him, here try this it's even sweeter 😂🤣

Fair to say we nearly had extra chunky feed that night

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Dirtbag I would lower that flow alot. I find if I set mine to 1500ppm I burn through gas also and thats even in a sealed room. I get 2 grows of a 20lb tank. But yeah you will be a lot more inefficient. Honestly when I changed my controller I went from 2 tanks a grow to 1 tank for 2 grows. It's a terrible controller. In many studies it showed under typical lighting up to 800ppm increased dry weight and that preset almost double.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag I would lower that flow alot. I find if I set mine to 1500ppm I burn through gas also and thats even in a sealed room. I get 2 grows of a 20lb tank. But yeah you will be a lot more inefficient. Honestly when I changed my controller I went from 2 tanks a grow to 1 tank for 2 grows. It's a terrible controller. In many studies it showed under typical lighting up to 800ppm increased dry weight and that preset almost double.

Lol, there is nothing left to lower. It was empty after the first day. If I dial it back to 2LPM I might get 3 days from it, but i think that flow will be too low to raise the ppm by much.

Unfortunately... Co2 isnt gonna work in here.
Even at 6LPM the monitor would just barely click to the 900-1450 light for a couple mins before venting, so at 6LPM i was probably hovering around the 700ppm mark. But it only lasted for 8 hrs.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ooh! One of these kinda nights!

We are settled in for the night about to eat too many mushrooms. And there is a quarter million dollars worth of sailboats anchored about 100m away. I doubt they know what they parked next to lol...
20201205 160647
20201205 160654

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I must say, since ive been playing with growing mushrooms i really enjoy coming back to my plants. I just understand growing pot so much more than mushrooms lol

Room is filling in nicely, and looking healthy. Just fed so again theyre a little shy.. Almost time to start taking pics in the dark cycle.
20201207 142849

Clones are all rooted and looking good. Theyre in coco with gaia green 444 and worm castings. No proterra on hand.
20201207 142308

Top Bottom