Distillate...... Thoughts

• Thread starter DemonTrich
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

So I gave my old bho guy my trim to run, and the result was an epic fail. Absolute garbage. Dude said he can turn it into distillate. Would lose some weight (not an issue for quality). Read a few things online (google, lol) about it. And sent the concentrate guru (greywolf) a pm about it also.

What are your thoughts? I've read it kicks up the thc % sky high, upwards of 90%+.

I have 35g of garbage bho he's gonna redo for me.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

i would distill it
kinda surprised you are not doing it yourself yet
typically distillate when run by someone competent will be in 90-95% range
make sure it gets dewaxed/winterized first though

fwiw

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I can't do cls or open blasting where I'm at. I live in a residential area, and I grow in detroit in a residential area. I'm not fond of a potential bomb in residential areas. Reason why I let my guy take the risk. I'm happy with a 50/50 split.....for now.

Couple yrs when I have enough equity in my house , I'll move north and get some property. Then buy a bad ass cls system. But for now, have to play it safe and pay 50%.

mandalaman

mandalaman

It's fine. I like eating it more than vaporizing or dabbing it. But probably the best option. And why is it garbage? Consistency? Taste? What's the issue with it.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

So I gave my old bho guy my trim to run, and the result was an epic fail. Absolute garbage. Dude said he can turn it into distillate. Would lose some weight (not an issue for quality). Read a few things online (google, lol) about it. And sent the concentrate guru (greywolf) a pm about it also.

What are your thoughts? I've read it kicks up the thc % sky high, upwards of 90%+.

Mine came out like shit too but that was due too using a machine trimmer. Didnt you get a twister demon? But either way distillate is the plan next time. Dont know much about making it, my buddy does all my extractions so i let him deal with that haha. Some of it tastes really good. From what i understand you can add terpenes too. Tried an agent orage with orange terps and it tasted like a fresh florida orange.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

It's fine. I like eating it more than vaporizing or dabbing it. But probably the best option. And why is it garbage? Consistency? Taste? What's the issue with it.

I do all the above. Eat, smoke, vape, topical rubs on ra flare ups (joints), tinctures. I think I covered all the bases.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I briefly read thru some stuff. need some glass ware and a few other things. I didn't have a lot of time. Maybe I'll check it out a little later. And just bypass my guy and do it myself. This is what it looks like. I even tossed it in my purge system and got the same result. Blah. There is absolutely no residual tane left in it.

20170306 202409

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Video I found. Hmmm, may have found a new venture. One more "job" to do. As if growing, baking, meeting patients wasn't enough. Lol

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

@Graywolf

I can put up a max of 2k on a distillate setup. Really like to be at 1k though. But I need to do a little more digging on what concentrates I can use. If bho only, I'll just let my current guy do the work. If I can use ethanol or iso, shit it's game on.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

i see a lot of folks using that setup in the video but imo....
that way is a time sucking pita
if you are going to start from scratch... build a kugelrohr type distiller from a counter top oven and wire in a pid controller so that you can be doing other shit besides baby sitting your equipment

fwiw

mandalaman

mandalaman

I briefly read thru some stuff. need some glass ware and a few other things. I didn't have a lot of time. Maybe I'll check it out a little later. And just bypass my guy and do it myself. This is what it looks like. I even tossed it in my purge system and got the same result. Blah. There is absolutely no residual tane left in it.

View attachment 676462
What about just a dewax/ethanol wash instead of a distillate?

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Distill it and get something out of it.

I'm going to bullbe Hash trim and press into Rosin.

Graywolf

Graywolf

@Graywolf

I can put up a max of 2k on a distillate setup. Really like to be at 1k though. But I need to do a little more digging on what concentrates I can use. If bho only, I'll just let my current guy do the work. If I can use ethanol or iso, shit it's game on.
Pharmer Joe built our short path equipment, including the molecular still, so I haven't researched resources.

$2K is a tight budget, because the pumps are expensive, but there is some cheap Chinese glass around. If you will send me an email to [email protected], I will hook you up with PJ and you can pick his keen alleged minds on the subject.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I already have a 2 stage 5cfm pump I use for my purge setup. Not sure if it's up to par. I can go as high as 4k, but would need to source outlets for the end result to justify then expense. Which isn't really all that difficult. Was gonna score a new mini split, but what I have is working now.

I read you can do an ethanol wash (saves me from handing 50% to my bho guy), then distill that. I can do that wash in my shop, vs blasting in a residential area which I won't do.

Email sent

Thanks again

D

dabarino

chillers alone can cost 2-4k +.. i think your budgets is a little tight. if it were me, i woudnt cheap out on that stuff and i wouldnt rush into it either. why does your stuff have to be fractionally distilled? couldnt you just get away with doing an ethanol wash on your bud in the first place if your afraid of running a cls?... as for the 35 grams you have now i wouldnt worry to much about it. winterize it and call it a loss. its only an ounce lesson learned...

just my 2 cents

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

In my past experience using etoh or iso, my end result is a super thick taffy like result. Only occasionally I can get shatter. I believe I'm using too much material, vs the initial solvent. Thus causing a taffy return vs a shatter return. Even after a vac purge, the taffy just get thicker. With this setup, I can bypass paying my guy the 50%, and recoup my costs in about 10 months.

Pic 1 is Cannatonic 4 cbd HP cut flowers, broke down, qwiso wash for 30 seconds. Air dry, scraped and pressed into a thin slab. 52g material, half gallon iso. Winterized, and using frozen material and ice cold iso.

Pic 2 is trim ran many strains. Winterized, using frozen but previously dried material, and ice cold iso. Purged as well.
20170217 191354
20161027 204542

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

One thought is I'm not using enough solvent when doing my washes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom