DIY Carbon Filter in 10 Minutes...

• Thread starter ShorelineTex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ShorelineTex

While working on solving a ventilation problem, I remembered an old DIY-carbon filter I saw a long-ass time ago on OG or somewhere. I wish I could give credit to whom it is due, but I don't have a clue where the original article was.

Anyway, all I really needed was a piece of 4" ducting to run into a tent, but I had some old stuff laying around and decided to see how well the ghetto scrubber worked. The ladies are in full bloom, and the ozone wasn't quite kicking all the stank out.

Anyway - all you really need is:
-a piece of chicken wire
-some kind of 4" solid duct tube (I prefer the twisty type as you can adjust them to fit tricky places)
-one of the odor-control carbon furnace filters you can get at local hardware stores/Wal-Mart/wherever
-a bunch of zip ties of various sizes (remember - you can always make them longer by hooking multiple ties together...)
-some big-girl pantyhose (luckily, I have a girlfriend with a lil' extra booty)

Image 1 shows the chicken wire rolled up and shoved in the tube. Nothing is holding it in except its desire to unfurl itself within the tube. I put some zip ties at the top and middle of the chicken wire to hold it together in a tube. Note that I have the top of the wire folded in where the sharp cut wires are. If you situate the wire right, you should be able to point most of the sharp wires inward so they don't catch on anything.

Image 2 shows the top of a rubbermaid container I've cut down to cover the top of the wire cage. I poke four holes in it and zip tie it to the top of the cage, as in image 3. Try to get all the cut off edges of the ties pointing downward or inward to avoid issues with snagging...not that big of a deal, but you'll save some poked fingers in a moment.

Image 4 & 5 show the next step - cutting out a sheet of the carbon/baking powder filter that is long enough to wrap around the cage with maybe an inch of overlap, and tall enough to touch above the plastic top and below the bottom of the cage at the same time...zip tie it on, and try to make sure there's not too big of a gap between where the filter overlays itself or the air will escape through the gap unfiltered. You might want to put a tiny piece of duct tap over the little holes in the plastic for the zip ties

Image 6 - You need about 1/3rd of a leg of your big girl pantyhose rolled up like a condom. Just put it on your arm like a glove and neatly role it off all the way, until it is a ring with the middle relatively taught. Stretch that ring over the plastic end of the fixture and roll it down a bit...this will push the little bit of overhanging filter at the top down and force the bit of air around the gaps at the top through a filter.

Voila - you should have something that looks like image 7. It actually seems to do a pretty good job of knocking out odor, but I imagine it will run out within a few weeks. You can easily replace the filter by taking the pantyhose off the top, cutting the zipties, wrapping a new filter around (you can probably make 2-3 of these out of a single large filter), and replacing the pantyhose condom at the top.

Match it up with a Stanley Blower Fan for like $35 bucks and mod it like this dude...http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=29341...and you probably have enough suction to vent and odor control a small tent setup...

Good luck!

Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes
Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes 2
Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes 3
Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes 4
Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes 5
Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes 6
Diy carbon filter in 10 minutes 7
S

ShorelineTex

Ok...gave it the ultimate test this morning. Left the pad for several hours, came back, and there was no detectable odor throughout the majority of the home (there is usually a mild touch of stank all over the place towards harvest time...). The room where the ladies are kept has a slightly detectable odor, but I'm not sure if that's from the smaller tent not being filtered yet or not. Usually, the odor from this room smacks you in the face this close to harvest, so that's a major improvement.

Regardless, there is a very noticeable difference between the odor level yesterday and the odor level today. I think if you're having relatively minor issues with odor control using a small tent setup, this is probably the way to go...super cheap and very easy to replace the filter when it stops working.

I'll try to post again once I get an approximate feel for how long the filter lasts until it needs to be replaced, and I'll let you all know whether there's an additional odor reduction when I put on the small tent filter tonight.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Great post.. However, there's no way growing or even drying sour d, OG's and Chem's will that small carbon scrubber work.. Great idea for greenhouse seeds or sensi. lol!! j/k..

Seriously tho, my shit is soooo dddank that I have to get the largest scrubbers, especially for my chems.. If your growing OGR's, Cali Connects, Rez's, JJ's, and OJD's, etc.. gear your whole neighborhood will funk it up.. Brick walls w/ the largest can fan cannot stop the funk of sour d or chems in the summer.. lol..

H

hbstoner

The major problems with making your own filter are..

1. The type of carbon you use.
2. How tight the carbon is packed. Loose packed carbon is not nearly as effective as tightly packed versions that you will get when you buy a pro filter.

I used to go they DIY route with filters but I have learned that you really cannot beat the effectiveness of a professionally made/packed filter. So for small grows/drying one of these is a great money saving idea, but for a big grow just go get a big filter! To me a couple hundred bucks is worth it when it comes to smell.

convex

convex

Give it a test ... put a drop of cologne/perfume/scent on a piece of paper and let it dry.
Once dried it should be fairly faint in odour but still detectable, place it in your room and see if you smell it in the exhaust - I think you will find you can.

If you are limited and want something similar for veg, try the carbon fiber mats made for aquariums. They are designed to adsorb loads of ammonia and have a tight matrix that will do a much better job if you wrap it 3 or 4 layers thick.

You are half way to building a proper carbon scrubber, look around for the threads here to find the complete steps.

Cheers

S

ShorelineTex

The major problems with making your own filter are..

1. The type of carbon you use.
2. How tight the carbon is packed. Loose packed carbon is not nearly as effective as tightly packed versions that you will get when you buy a pro filter.

I used to go they DIY route with filters but I have learned that you really cannot beat the effectiveness of a professionally made/packed filter. So for small grows/drying one of these is a great money saving idea, but for a big grow just go get a big filter! To me a couple hundred bucks is worth it when it comes to smell.

I totally agree. I've seen much, much larger grows than anything I've ever attempted that had smell almost completely controlled with "real" scrubbers...this will certainly NOT do that, lol!

There's not actually even any packed carbon in this - the only thing adsorbing molecules of stink out of the air is the carbon-laced sheet of furnace filter wrapped around it, which is why I imagine it will only last for a couple of weeks before giving out.

I tried a more ambitious DIY filter a while back which did have some packed carbon in it, and it did a much better job than this one until it ran out. But, this thing *does* seem to knock enough odor out to be useful for a budget minded small-timer during the last part of flowering.

Give it a test ... put a drop of cologne/perfume/scent on a piece of paper and let it dry.
Once dried it should be fairly faint in odour but still detectable, place it in your room and see if you smell it in the exhaust - I think you will find you can.

If you are limited and want something similar for veg, try the carbon fiber mats made for aquariums. They are designed to adsorb loads of ammonia and have a tight matrix that will do a much better job if you wrap it 3 or 4 layers thick.

You are half way to building a proper carbon scrubber, look around for the threads here to find the complete steps.

Cheers

Oooh...good idea. I'll have to try the aquarium stuff and see how it works. Again, this is by no means meant to be an industrial-strength solution, just something for the casual home grower to knock a bit of edge off of a light odor with minimal effort, at which it seems to do OK, but I use ozone as well so the job is already partially done.

When I finally get a "real" fan to replace the modded Stanley Blower Fans I'm using on the big tent, I'll get a real carbon filter to go along with it lol.

Thanks for the feedback!

D

dojoohno

Ozonators seem to get cheaper and cheaper but people still use carbon filters? Why? Does it mask the smell enough?

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Has anyone tried using the shell of a professional filter(after it has been used), drill out the rivets, remove the spent carbon replace and re-rivet?
If so, questions,
1) what is the best carbon to use?
2) from reading pelletized and tightly packed carbon works best, so should I find a method of applying extreme pressure when packing the new carbon in the filter?

Top Bottom