DIY chiller from window A/C

• Thread starter vertstyle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

vertstyle

First off, go very slowly. Bend carefully. DO NOT CUT OR KINK ANY COPPER LINES. Make long sweeping bends instead of sharp ones.

This is a 5k btu window A/C I turned into a chiller for my dwc setup. It cools a 30 gal res and a 20 gal res that each run separate nutrients.

Remove the case from the unit, usually just a few screws.

You want to use a manual unit, not one with a digital thermostat.

Remove the thermostat from the unit. It will be a knob with a small copper tube and some wires attached to it.

Place the end of the small copper temperature sensing tube into your container.
Cut and lengthen the wires if needed. DO NOT cut the copper tube.

Separate the cold evaporator coil from the hot condenser coil side. This usually involves some screws and removing some styrofoam.

Carefully bend the copper lines allowing you to place the evaporator side (the side that gets cold and faces inside the house) into your container. I use an ice chest. Fill the container with water.

Leave the condenser coil and fan attached to the unit. Set it somewhere where the heat it puts out wont be a problem, or remove the built in fan and duct the heat outside.

I use 1/2" vinyl tubing and a small fountain pump. Pump from your reservoir through a loop of tubing inside your container and back to the reservoir.
Res -->loop of tube in container-->res.
Your reservoir water never touches the water inside the container. The heat transfer is done from the cold container water through the walls of the tubing.

You can run multiple reservoirs off the same container each with it's own pump and loop of tubing. Vinyl I've found works fine. Copper would be bad due to exposure to the nutrients. Titanium supposedly works fine, but is expensive and not needed for me.

I ran mine for 3 months, with room temps of 85f I kept my res at 67f easily. The unit ran maybe 5 minutes every 30 minutes.

Diy chiller from window ac
t.o.med

t.o.med

very cool thanks for posting that. do you have it hooked up to a thermostat with a probe to the rez or does it just run continuosly ?

squarepusher

squarepusher

nice, was gunna try something like this one time, but looked a bit daunting

V

vertstyle

I'm familiar with A/C so it only took me about 15 minutes. Maybe an hour for someone that isn't.

I removed the original thermostat for it, lengthened the wires and put the tip of the sensing probe into the container full of water. You just turn the knob like before to adjust your set temperature.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome, thanks for the step by step! I think we might give this a try with a 10,000btu window a/c for about 110-130 gallons of water.

Thanks again!

V

vertstyle

I took mine out for the winter and will be setting it up again before too long. I'll update when I try it and see if it is still working. The coil rusted a bit from sitting in the water but not too badly. Mostly just the steel brackets that are on it. I would recommend something in the water container to prevent algae, or frequent changes. I let mine go 4 months and it got slime. Hydrogen peroxide is probably bad due to the metal coil, not sure? Physan 20 would probably work well.

Fred Flintstoned

Fred Flintstoned

Is a manual thermostat absolutely necessary? I have a 10.5K unit with dig.
Can I buy a manual control at the hvac parts house and convert it?
Fred

M

MediMary

nice thread maybe ill try this.. I desperately need a chiller

R

RMCG

If anyone is going to do this and needs a temp controller, the Ranco unit is the bomb.

K

kmk4eva

thats a very good idea will have to expriment with it what if you used a 5 ton central air put the coil in a big res and pipe it to the condenser with out the air handler and blower how do you think that will work

R

RMCG

thats a very good idea will have to expriment with it what if you used a 5 ton central air put the coil in a big res and pipe it to the condenser with out the air handler and blower how do you think that will work

Not sure how you would do this with a central A/C unit? Awfully expensive chiller.

monkeybone

monkeybone

Bonez
Supporter
Bait Chiller

Love the improvised chiller thread, keep it going :)

I found this 'Bait Chiller' on fleabay: its new, 1hp and chills up to 1000 gallons to 35 degrees.

Item number: 120536160621

http://i.einvalid.com/14/!BpdYzWwB2k~$(KGrHqEOKjMEuZ0)y)M3BLrh2FKiHg~~_12.JPG

Here is the description:
Unit are new and have been in storage Unit sits on top of tank. Unit has been test and is in good working condition. Chill water from 35 to 70 degree F

Aerates water from the bottom
Heavy duty construction
Unit made for chilling water for bait ships. it's made to sit on top of a tank. Unit works in Hydroponics, Aquariums, Industrial, bait ship, lab, etc. Pulls water from the bottom, in the process the water is chills and aerated. It's construction is of non-corrosive materials. It can be used in salt water. Unit made in 1996 , but never used, Has been storage. Unit original cost over $4,000 1in 1996. Power by 120 VAC, very quite unit.
It's called a workhorse, chilling up to 1,000 gallon.
It has a built in thermostat
========================

Whats cool with a chiller like this is the large volume of water you could chill in one tank, pump all your hot water to a separate tank that sits and cools until your 12 hour light cycle is over. Then its pumped in to top off your chilled tank.

The bad part of a chiller like this is you have to live close to Harrah, Oklahoma to pick it up or have it shipped :) Thought I'd share the find as it also aerates and might be perfect for one of you guys. He has a couple of them btw and I don't know him from adam so make sure to check it out thoroughly.

D

DaWiz

Not sure how you would do this with a central A/C unit? Awfully expensive chiller.
Not really considering you can get a 5 ton split unit for around $2250 shipped!! That would be some awesome chilling power for a lot less than they want for a ChillKing 5hp which is about $7000! 5 tons of air conditioning is the in BTU's as 5hp! Great idea on the DYI thread was thinking about this the other day myself! Who ever said stoners were stupid just didnt know any smart ones! lol!:bong-hits:

R

RMCG

Not really considering you can get a 5 ton split unit for around $2250 shipped!! That would be some awesome chilling power for a lot less than they want for a ChillKing 5hp which is about $7000! 5 tons of air conditioning is the in BTU's as 5hp! Great idea on the DYI thread was thinking about this the other day myself! Who ever said stoners were stupid just didnt know any smart ones! lol!:bong-hits:

I'm not sure if dropping the condenser in water is 100% efficient.

If I were to be looking to get a large, inexpensive chiller, I would go with a Jandy Pool Heat Pump with chiller option. ~80k BTU chiller for 4k and you are using it as it is ~supposed~ to be used.

K

kmk4eva

there you go that is what i was thinking :boogie:

K

kmk4eva

I'm not sure if dropping the condenser in water is 100% efficient.

If I were to be looking to get a large, inexpensive chiller, I would go with a Jandy Pool Heat Pump with chiller option. ~80k BTU chiller for 4k and you are using it as it is ~supposed~ to be used.

wouldnt it be the same as putting the condender from the window mount just alot bigger badder cooling power

Latest posts

Top Bottom