Diy Drying/curing Cabinet?

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Hi All,

I'm about 4 weeks from harvest and I really don't have a good place to do the drying. I was planning on drying in my mother tent because it's got the right temperature and humidity but it seems everyone drys in the dark. so, I was thinking of building a drying/curing cabinet where I could control the temp/humid. I went through all the DIY posts and couldn't find any posts about the subject.

here are my thoughts: I could build one easily out of plywood, I'm very handy and have lots of woodworking tools. or... I could save time and energy and buy a small tent. As much as I like woodworking, I'm kind of leaning towards the small tent idea. I have plenty of room of either solution, I just don't have any "closet" space as my wife has them all filled with clothes };-)

• The plywood: would have to be in a non-heated dry basement which means I would need some added heat and added humidity.
  • The plywood: would be heavy and not very mobile.
  • The plywood: easily adaptable for shelving for curing jars.
  • The tent: would be much easier to setup
  • The tent: could be placed in my living area(spare bedroom) for ambient heat.
  • The tent: may be cheaper (haven't checked prices yet)
  • The tent: would need to buy shelving if I want to store my curing jars in there.
  • The tent: would need to convince my wife that having a tent in the spare bedroom is a good idea };-)

So, I'm looking for opinions: I know the saying that opinions are like a-hole, everyones got one and they all stink(including my own };-) ) ... but I'm trying to pick out the least stinkiest };-)

Thanks.

oh, and I'm also looking for size recommendations, I'm running a 6 site rdwc system...

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

I am thinking of building one myself but am worried the plywood would mold or cause smell or problems with the product. I also need to cool mine instead of heat. Think I might just get a tent. Let me know what you decide

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I am thinking of building one myself but am worried the plywood would mold or cause smell or problems with the product. I also need to cool mine instead of heat. Think I might just get a tent. Let me know what you decide

yeah, I'm heavily leaning towards a tent in my living area just for the convenience. I can do this because my daughter moved out of her smaller bedroom on the main floor(now empty) and into the cellar room that I build for growing. I did too good of a job on my 13x19 grow room in the cellar :crying2:

the temperature on the main floor never gets below 65f but I'll have to add humidity(bucket of water) and a small fan for the tent to keep the air circulating.

I just don't know what size to get. I don't think I need anything super tall, probably something like 3x3x5 would be plenty...

Bearfamfarm

Bearfamfarm

Very nice. I think I am gonna end up dry walling and putting in a window ac to keep a 6x5x6 area cool. I am wondering if a window ac unit can keep a small area cooled to 60-65 when there is no heat producing items in there. Just hanging plants. I will have to watch the humidity and see if I need to humidify or dehumidify.

FarmerDi

FarmerDi

Just bought a small 24"x24"x48" tent and setting it up about 6 feet from the grow tent. Will use a 160cfm fan to exhaust smell over to my grow tent which has a carbon filter system. The tent was $50 and the 160cfm fan is very low cost. Quick and easy low cost.

GanjaNGains

GanjaNGains

Hi All,

I'm about 4 weeks from harvest and I really don't have a good place to do the drying. I was planning on drying in my mother tent because it's got the right temperature and humidity but it seems everyone drys in the dark. so, I was thinking of building a drying/curing cabinet where I could control the temp/humid. I went through all the DIY posts and couldn't find any posts about the subject.

here are my thoughts: I could build one easily out of plywood, I'm very handy and have lots of woodworking tools. or... I could save time and energy and buy a small tent. As much as I like woodworking, I'm kind of leaning towards the small tent idea. I have plenty of room of either solution, I just don't have any "closet" space as my wife has them all filled with clothes };-)

• The plywood: would have to be in a non-heated dry basement which means I would need some added heat and added humidity.
  • The plywood: would be heavy and not very mobile.
  • The plywood: easily adaptable for shelving for curing jars.
  • The tent: would be much easier to setup
  • The tent: could be placed in my living area(spare bedroom) for ambient heat.
  • The tent: may be cheaper (haven't checked prices yet)
  • The tent: would need to buy shelving if I want to store my curing jars in there.
  • The tent: would need to convince my wife that having a tent in the spare bedroom is a good idea };-)

So, I'm looking for opinions: I know the saying that opinions are like a-hole, everyones got one and they all stink(including my own };-) ) ... but I'm trying to pick out the least stinkiest };-)

Thanks.

oh, and I'm also looking for size recommendations, I'm running a 6 site rdwc system...

If u arent set on hang drying a dry box with adjustable shelving inside will save u space as well as being able to stack willl save u space :) I use the Big 55 gallon storage bins modified of course with ventalation fans and air holes I can fit quite a bit in there and works great for me being able to stack them really saves me space.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I'm still 2 to 3 weeks away, I'll post back in here and let everyone know how it worked. I'm sure it will work just fine though. I'm not going to have the volume that some of the growers here have.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

First time using my 2x2x4 tent with a small fan just to move the air around. This is just two plants worth. I also have a paper bag full of popcorn buds in there. I'll probably harvest the other two plants I have next week.
IMG 20170524 0022451

Eyegethi420

Eyegethi420

Wats up farmers...had a question on the drying tent....is negative pressure inside tent while drying to much air on buds?

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Wats up farmers...had a question on the drying tent....is negative pressure inside tent while drying to much air on buds?

so I'm assuming you're sucking air out of the tent? I don't have any pressure in the drying tent, just a small fan not directed at the bud to move the air around. It's set on the lowest setting. This is my first drying sooooo, I don't have many answers for you. I seal it right up all the time for complete darkness and I have a hydrometer that I check once a day for 50 to 60 percent humidity.

Eyegethi420

Eyegethi420

so I'm assuming you're sucking air out of the tent? I don't have any pressure in the drying tent, just a small fan not directed at the bud to move the air around. It's set on the lowest setting. This is my first drying sooooo, I don't have many answers for you. I seal it right up all the time for complete darkness and I have a hydrometer that I check once a day for 50 to 60 percent humidity.
Yes sir sucking air out the tent...I actually stood inside my tent with it closed and didn't feel any forceful air by the plant but down by the open flap you can really feel it rushing in

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Yes sir sucking air out the tent...I actually stood inside my tent with it closed and didn't feel any forceful air by the plant but down by the open flap you can really feel it rushing in

I highly doubt there will be any issues doing that as long as the humidity is fairly constant. If it gets too dry in there, you could dry your bud too fast. From what I've read, slow drying is the way to go. *** shrug ***

FarmerDi

FarmerDi

You need ventilation and some air movement (not directed on the buds). As long as you can keep the humidity between 40-50%. If you don't ventilate your house will smell like a pot factory. Plus the air being moved into the grow tent creating some fresh air which is healthy for the plants. Double positive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom