Diy Gavita Replacement Reflector Mounts?

• Thread starter tommy2snips
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tommy2snips

tommy2snips

Good Day,
Pretty big on DIY myself. While the entire Gavita HortiStar 600 SE Reflector unit is certainly affordable, I can't help but look at these available replacements and think how easy it would be to mount one in place over any old electrical box/socket/SE bulb....I mean, it's just a metal frame to hold things in place(yes, the 2nd pic is a DE example)
If I upgrade my reflectors instead of changing over to a stadium/bare bulb setup, I'd probably just buy them complete....but am curious if anyone's ever DIY'ed one of these? Would be neat to see.
replacement_hortistar_600.jpg

gavita-reflector-removed.png

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Ive looked at mine and thought about putting a 315 CMH in one,you'd have to drill to put some hangers on it.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I can tell you that a friend of mine who owns and runs truth lighting makes his own 315s and uses these basically mounted to the correct ballast then hangs the whole unit and he kills it. Was going to but four or five sun systems but am going with the truth lighting setups instead. Save a ton of upfront cost. For the record not pushing any particular product just saying @fishwhistle your idea will totally work and I've seen how well and @tommy2snips i think u would be more than fine. Respect y'all!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I can tell you that a friend of mine who owns and runs truth lighting makes his own 315s and uses these basically mounted to the correct ballast then hangs the whole unit and he kills it. Was going to but four or five sun systems but am going with the truth lighting setups instead. Save a ton of upfront cost. For the record not pushing any particular product just saying @fishwhistle your idea will totally work and I've seen how well and @tommy2snips i think u would be more than fine. Respect y'all!
what is he getting for his 315 setups tnelz?does he use the philips ballasts? ill be investing in some more 315s later in the year,Ive been considering trying some DIY since they are basically all the same components with just the reflector/bulb position being the main difference.I think ive seen truths leds before if its the same company,i didnt pay much attention as im not an LED guy.

Tnelz

Tnelz

what is he getting for his 315 setups tnelz?does he use the philips ballasts? ill be investing in some more 315s later in the year,Ive been considering trying some DIY since they are basically all the same components with just the reflector/bulb position being the main difference.I think ive seen truths leds before if its the same company,i didnt pay much attention as im not an LED guy.
It is the same company and his LEDs are def the truth. No pun intended. They are an actual draw I believe so a 750 is 750 watts but anyway. He was using the correct ballast but not sure of the brand. I'm assuming because they were prototypes they were Chinese ballasts with the Philips bulb but don't quote me. He was selling them for 275 but I do believe he was having a problem getting enough bulbs to fill the orders. Not positive what's going on there but I'll def find out. Supposed to get with him this week. I'm sure he would be ok with me giving u his contact info but let me make sure of that. Once I do I'll hit you in a pm if you want. Let me know.

tommy2snips

tommy2snips

What's scoop on these 315's you're talkin' about? Never heard of 'em. (haven't been on the forums much in a while)

Tnelz

Tnelz

What's scoop on these 315's you're talkin' about? Never heard of 'em. (haven't been on the forums much in a while)
Not on forums brother. A friend of mine is truth lighting. You can find his panels on sale a growershouse but he is running these 315s but not sure they are currently for sale. I'll get more info up once I confirm.

tommy2snips

tommy2snips

haha, sorry...I meant in even more basic terms. I don't know anything about 315cmh at all...I can search it, but in a few words, why would/should a guy look into them? I've only ever used 1k's and only recently picked up some 600's to play with...(I don't have proper reflectors yet)

tommy2snips

tommy2snips

Just stopping back in to say I went with some large Adjust-A-Wings. 7.5ft ceiling height kinda sealed that deal.
As a guy who gets what KeefTreez was up to with the tunnels...then looking into the price per sheet of quality reflection if wanting to take it beyond gluing mylar to a sheet board....these Large AAW's are the ticket for what I want to try out.

Top Bottom