DIY Grow cabinet wood choices

• Thread starter extremophile420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

extremophile420

I decided to build a 180cm width, 200cm height, 60cm depth cabinet.

1- after reading many threads, i decided to go with plywood (other choices were OSB and MDF). Do you think this is the right wood decision?

2- my budgets allows me for 1/4" plywood coverings to cover the frame. Is 1/4" good for a grow cabinet? (longetivity, practicality, general grow environment), or should i wait until i can afford 1/2"? Does it make a difference in the long term? I dont really plan on upgrading, this will be my grow area for as long as it can last, so i want to build it right from the first time.

sturgis

sturgis

…...just my .02......I prefer plywood to OSB & MDF.....thickness is personal preference...…...thicker wood allows you to attach to it......screws. etc....better insulation, as well as more light proof......

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

id use osb,the glued chips make a great ripple when you paint it flat white,then you have a great reflection for the plants,with out hot spots,plywood would have the reflection focus at some point and shiny,the spot would cause a hot spot at some point for the plant,reflective film same thing.
so id use osb and put about 4 coats of flat white paint or however much it took to soak in

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I used OSB painted flat white for wall covering because it is a lot cheaper and i needed a fair bit of it. But plywood is better stuff. OSB has a tendency to swell and come apart more easily when It gets wet, and plywood will grip onto screws and stuff better.

E

extremophile420

…...just my .02......I prefer plywood to OSB & MDF.....thickness is personal preference...…...thicker wood allows you to attach to it......screws. etc....better insulation, as well as more light proof......
id use osb,the glued chips make a great ripple when you paint it flat white,then you have a great reflection for the plants,with out hot spots,plywood would have the reflection focus at some point and shiny,the spot would cause a hot spot at some point for the plant,reflective film same thing.
so id use osb and put about 4 coats of flat white paint or however much it took to soak in
I used OSB painted flat white for wall covering because it is a lot cheaper and i needed a fair bit of it. But plywood is better stuff. OSB has a tendency to swell and come apart more easily when It gets wet, and plywood will grip onto screws and stuff better.

I will get plywood for sure, moisture treated then painted flat white.
However my concern was thickness, as i dont want my grow box to last for a year or two then starts to give problems. I want as much longetivity within my budget. Is 1/4" able to handle years of growing?

sturgis

sturgis

I will get plywood for sure, moisture treated then painted flat white.
However my concern was thickness, as i dont want my grow box to last for a year or two then starts to give problems. I want as much longetivity within my budget. Is 1/4" able to handle years of growing?

…….longevity is dependent on how well its sealed from moisture...…and kept dry...…..1/4" should last several years with no issues...…...good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom