DIY ICE BOX "summer solutions"

• Thread starter moejammin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

moejammin

I recently discovered the wonders of the ice box. And like most of the farmers here who like to do, make, create, and fabricate things for themselves I decided to make a homemade version of the ice box. Very simple and very effective.

Diy ice box summer solutions
M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
what does it do, put ice in the coil and cool down the water?

mal

M

moejammin

I used a seven inch pvc coupling as the base. I used five foot pieces of flexible copper tubing and a coffee can as a "jig" to make the coil. I made two coils {making more surface area for the transfering} that fit together perfectly and sit pretty snug in the pvc. Cut a slot in the pvc for the plumbing. Im using 3/8 od tubing and metal fasteners to connect to the coil. These connections go right into my resevoir{an igloo cooler which helps to lessen the load on the chiller}and 1/10hp chiller. Im using it now for my 600s and the summer heat. With ambient temps at 89 with the lights on{growing alot in a tight spot} I can easily bring it down to the 76-79 range. OH HAPPY DAY!

M

moejammin

Im sorry MAl It is a heat exchanger. I attach it to one of the ends of my aircooled light and an inline fan on the other end. The fan forces the hot air into the exchanger which exchanges the hot air turned hot water into cold air via the chiller and a pump the recirculate

M

moejammin

So the heat from the light is exchanged by the coils into the resevoir and then the chiller cools it down.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
nice. maybe with a pic of it attached to the outtake people can get a better idea. even with the iceboxes it was hard to visulize it until i seen them hooked up

M

moejammin

Ecoplus inline the 465 cfm i think it is but i have it on a controller so i can turn it down half way, I only need about 200-225 cfm for the evaporative process to work correctly. Im also using a 365 gph submersible pump to recirculate the water through the coils and then through the chiller.

M

moejammin

For those of us not able to run freon style ac's in our gardens this is a very good way to stay cool this summer but hardly use any power. With two of the units i showed you{one per hood} you can not only eliminate the heat but also "air condition" a smaller space as well for only 300 watts. I have two 3x3 tents that sit in a five by nine closet space. TIGHT AS HELL, so heat becomes an issue quickly but this works. And now i can start to dabble with c02 cause i can keep the closet doors shut now!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Pretty sweet DIY project you got there. What temp are you keeping the water?

R

RMCG

Titanium tubing is a bit pricier than copper or stainless, but heat exchange is far superior.

Love the DIY!

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
very cool

neat little unit you've got there Mo i'd like to put something like that on my lights. thanks for the info

mal

M

moejammin

Yeah froggy ill get one up in the morn.

RMCG I hear ya on the titanium, but it is definately more expensive. I was also trying to source some hydrophilic treated aluminun to make fins on the outside of the unit to farther the exchanging capacity. But its not too bad as is

R

RMCG

Yeah froggy ill get one up in the morn.

RMCG I hear ya on the titanium, but it is definately more expensive. I was also trying to source some hydrophilic treated aluminun to make fins on the outside of the unit to farther the exchanging capacity. But its not too bad as is

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if incorporating a PC 'water cooling' radiator in would be of additional benefit?

60$ and heat exchange of 3134BTU per hour.

directron_2103_397085260

Latest posts

Top Bottom