DIY "Ice Box" type heat exchanger

• Thread starter aSilvrHaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Going to attempt to make my own Ice Box. Once I get everything planned out and ready to make, I'll document the process to add to the thread, but for right now, just looking for suggestions cuz I'm havin a brain fart

Going to take a heater core from a 69 Buick Lasabre (a little bit bigger than 8"x8") and modify the barbs so they're 1/2". Next I plan to take a wall/ceiling register (the grill lookin thing for the vents in your home) that is 8"x8" and attach it to the heater core to use for a shroud. Right now I'm stuck on how I'm going to attach it since the heater core is actually 8 1/4" x 8 11/16".

Just throw out some ideas :passingjoint: and I'll get some pics put up of the parts as soon as I get a chance.

*a couple sites I just found that I'm trying to use to visualize what I need to do...

http://www.overclockers.com/water-cooling-upgrades-heater-core-and-fan-shroud/

C

crossouttheiis

jb weld!!! used it to reattach a crankshaft pulley... anyhow....

I would extend the vent register to overlap the outside of the heater core... bend those edges around the heatercore and apply the jb weld.... then do the same thing when you are making something to attach the ducting.

hopefully that makes sense.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Why bother with a case it's only their to hide the fact it's a heat exchanger and collect condensate.

A simple tray wired into the run off works fine.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

lol no way, the shroud will improve the performance of the heat exchanger, Greatly IMO...

Desertboy

Desertboy

I got 90%+ heat capture with 2 600w with that heat exchanger as long as the water was 10f under room temp.

That compares nicely with ice box specs I was going to sit 2 side by side with is 12"x12" and use 12" reducer to 8" and an etaline in the final version before I aborted.

Might not have been as efficient cost bugger all to do though and competed well cooling wise with air con.

Latest posts

Top Bottom