• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Thanks to JLP for the nice DIY..

Hey guys, here's a little tutorial on how to grow your males right next to your females.It's a box that isolates the male and filters all the air that moves through the box so that no pollen escapes.I built my first one of these about 4 years ago and posted it at OG.This will be the third box I've constructed.They are fairly simple to construct and if you purchase all of the materials new you will spend probably $40-$60.

Here's an idea of what you'll need:

Diy jlps male isolation chamber

Just about any computer fan should work for this.Just set the fan on the filter and trace around it with a pen then cut out the squares with a good heavy pair of scissors.I usually use two layers of filter for the fan to draw through.Try to use the best quality filter you can.I really like these purple Filtrete,they have the highest filtration rating I can find and they are easy to tape to the fan.

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 2

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 3

Once you've cut the squares you stack them on top of each other and then the fan on top.Then run some duct tape around it making a seal and mating them all together.Make sure the fan is pulling air through the filter,not pushing.

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 4

Now you need to make a hole in the top of the box,I have a 4'' hole saw that worked perfect for this.

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 5

Next you need to seal the fan assembly to the box with some adhesive.You can use just about anything,silicone,latex,liquid nails.

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 6

Now you need to make a hole in the lid for an intake.Use a piece of left over filter to cover the hole and seal it with adhesive.

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 7

That's about all there is to it.Just plug in the fan and it gently draws air through the box keeping the plant alive and the pollen contained.Here's a pic with a female in the box to give an idea.I also screwed a board to the bottom for stability.

Diy jlps male isolation chamber 8

As you can see a clear box works best but you can use a solid box if you cut out the lid and put plexi-glass in it.

When my males show I take them out of the hydroton and re-plant them in soil then put them in the box,I can get about three in this one.I take the box away from the grow and gently open it for watering the males. I've been using this method for several years now without any problems.

Notoriousskunk

Notoriousskunk

nice logic , wen i got a few more grows under my belt gonna have 2 do that to start breeding

thanks fore sharin

N$

F

FastForward

THat's fookin' sexy....have just put it in the link-o-rama :)

W

witchking

That is bad ass, just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting that up Logic. Thanks to JLP for all of his kindness and care for the community over the past years.:)

ShortStackz

ShortStackz

Nice, thanks for sharing this. I been wanted to do some breeding but don't have multiple rooms. This is great.

bodhi seeds

bodhi seeds

thats awsome..... like a ghetto fantastic willy wonka creation. i got try this, im just afraid ill mess up and pollinate my whole room on accident. i guess that would be ok.

H

hoobiedude

thanks for this logic, i was having a hard time diciding to give my jack the ripper male the boot, now i can keep him and collect some pollen, thanks

E

ent

I'm giving one of these a spin at the moment. I built it following the directions here. Took an old fan out of an old computer and used an old cell phone charger to wire it up. After a while i thought it wasn't enough air movement because i saw what looked like the beginning of PM but it turned out to be pollen. I collected about a teaspoon full and will begin some chucking tonight. I used a huge pot and in the next run of this I'll use smaller males with much smaller pots so the flowers do not hit the top. In about 6 weeks or so we'll see if there was any unintentional leaks of pollen when i harvest. But pistils look good now.

secret_kush_2_male-2_resized1.JPG

secret_kush_2_male-1_resized1.JPG

secret_kush_2_male-11_resized1.JPG

secret_kush_2_male-6_resized.JPG

secret_kush_2_male-13_resized.JPG

C

chappie

How do you power the fan? With a computer fan, would a typical 12v wall-wart transformer work?

E

ent

Yes, i wired up an old Nokia phone charger to a computer fan. Just ensure the voltage on the a/c adapter does not exceed the voltage on the computer fan. Usually 12v.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Hey ENT did you have any temp issues in there? RH issues? When did you put him in there, week wise? I was thinking about using this arrangement to make a slightly larger chamber for a few females and a male or two. Collecting does sound easier I guess..

Cheers,
Crom

E

ent

Temps stayed the same as inside the tent. The humidity was a bit higher and the places where the fan leaves were right up on the translucent plastic some moisture would start to build up. I didn't have any mold or mildews though. I waited as long as possible before i place them in the iso chamber. It may be around day 10 or so. But it's only about a week or two after they go in the chamber before the finish. If you are worried about humidity issues I'd install two fans instead of one larger fan. It's a lot of fun. Good luck. Take care.

Rushoe

Rushoe

Very well done ...I will try that one day thanx for sharing!!!!!

Top Bottom