DIY Pest Traps

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Tangelfoot is sold in tubes and tubs at HD. To cheap to make something unless you have too much time on your hands, or doing a grove. I too was curious about what resin was used.
@ seamaiden you should have copied caps formula as this will be deleted soon when I get banned. Suerte JK
Look at you, old man, still kickin' around. :brb:

L

larebowm

I'm liking this a yellow billboard cover in tangle foot on my back wall. (Joke)
I like the idea I'm gonna have to make up some for myself

I

irondonkey

I was asked to take some pics of my cheap traps but I do not think a how to is necessary. I buy a 30" x 24" yellow foam board for about 3.50at Staples. I then cut them up into the size I need them. I use a product called Tangalfoot for 7 bucks at HD that lasts a long time. It is mainly used as an insect barrier. I buy 100 wooded
skewers for .99. I then stick the pointed end about 3" inside the card. Then using a putty knife I put a very thin film on the cards. Cost about 3.75 to make 30 cards. JK
i am having alil issue with fungus gnats in my promix bx, i have been sraying with neem oil(dyna gro)mixed with dyna gro protekt..i have also put small 4oz glasses w/coffee and molesses in pot next to main stem..the coffeee/mol. glasses get quite a few gnats..do you use neem oil, i am fairly new to indoor gardening (1 yr)in 4x4x7 tents..the neem oil says it can be sprayed right onto the leaves, do you know if this will hurt the plant? i spray just the top layer of soil..i am trying your yellow card method this weekend..i dont like to keep spraying neem oil into soil and have the fruit taste like neem oil..i do flush 2-3 wks before harvest..thanks for the diy info..

I

irondonkey

Google found Tangalfoot jar traps but no spreadable slime that I see.
Cap: The link to a DIY Tangalfoot lists "resin powder". Any help on what this is?
I use too many sticky traps and would appreciate a DIY solution.
i use 4-6oz glasses with coffee, i put molasses and sugar in coffee to make sweet/sticky and get quite a few fungus gnats..i put the glasses next to the center stem in the pots sitting right on the soil(promix)..i used the old coffee grounds and just added more water to coffee pot..i just read something about a guy using yellow koolaid in 4oz glasses with alot of sugar and he said it works great, as well as the yellow sticky traps, i am gonna try this method this weekend..good luck they are very resilent lil buggers..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Believe it or not, apple cider vinegar works, too.
i am having alil issue with fungus gnats in my promix bx, i have been sraying with neem oil(dyna gro)mixed with dyna gro protekt..i have also put small 4oz glasses w/coffee and molesses in pot next to main stem..the coffeee/mol. glasses get quite a few gnats..do you use neem oil, i am fairly new to indoor gardening (1 yr)in 4x4x7 tents..the neem oil says it can be sprayed right onto the leaves, do you know if this will hurt the plant? i spray just the top layer of soil..i am trying your yellow card method this weekend..i dont like to keep spraying neem oil into soil and have the fruit taste like neem oil..i do flush 2-3 wks before harvest..thanks for the diy info..
Do NOT put neem into the root zone! Use it on the leaves only. For real, you could easily smother the roots doing that.

I have persistent problems with fungus gnats, and I've discovered that they don't appear if I'm growing in pure perlite. Beyond that, many people find good results using Gnatrol, crumbled Mosquito Dunks and... now I'm drawing a blank on what else. OGBioWar is also helpful, I think it's the root pack that packs a punch (can't recall off the toppa mah).

J

Jalisco Kid

Blue is an color I believe for thrips,while gnats like yellow. Home depot sells tubs of tangelfoot. JK

I

irondonkey

Believe it or not, apple cider vinegar works, too.

Do NOT put neem into the root zone! Use it on the leaves only. For real, you could easily smother the roots doing that.

I have persistent problems with fungus gnats, and I've discovered that they don't appear if I'm growing in pure perlite. Beyond that, many people find good results using Gnatrol, crumbled Mosquito Dunks and... now I'm drawing a blank on what else. OGBioWar is also helpful, I think it's the root pack that packs a punch (can't recall off the toppa mah).
thank you for the info, i really appreciate it..i will stop the neem spraying..there are so many conflicting opinions on the web with what and how to use the different products..have you heard of diatomaceous earth(food grade) for killing the larvae? i am using miracle grow perlite now, the m.g. perlite was all i could get in my area at the time... i just got big green bags of perlite from home depot online order(therm o rock-2 cu ft)..the mosquito dunks i have heard of(i live in the foothills of the adirondack mts- mosquito central in summer)i have a neighbor that has horses and he uses the mosquito dunks in the watering pond..when i crush the mosquito dunks do i sprinkle them on top of the soil ? out of the diatomaceous earth food grade-mosquito dunks-what would you use out of these 2? i will have to order whatever i use..with the apple cider vinegar, do i put cellophane over the rim of the glass and poke tiny holes to allow the gnats in(seen this on youtube)..there is alot of good info on youtube but, that is where i was told to spray neem oil on the top layer of soil and try to keep the oil off the leaves if possible(complete opposite of what you said)..i am staying away from youtube for growing info from here on out, too much bad/inaccurate info on youtube..again i appreciate the info.

I

irondonkey

Need to get me some tangle foot
hi, i did see tangal foot insecticide mentioned on a youtube video..home depot sells tangal foot during peak grow time(summer)..i couldnt even get perlite off the shelf 2 wks ago from home depot without preordering it online..i will order this tangal foot now, im sure its not in stock at h.d.. thanks alot for the info. it is appreciated..
Need to get me some tangle foot

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
thank you for the info, i really appreciate it..i will stop the neem spraying..there are so many conflicting opinions on the web with what and how to use the different products..have you heard of diatomaceous earth(food grade) for killing the larvae? i am using miracle grow perlite now, the m.g. perlite was all i could get in my area at the time... i just got big green bags of perlite from home depot online order(therm o rock-2 cu ft)..the mosquito dunks i have heard of(i live in the foothills of the adirondack mts- mosquito central in summer)i have a neighbor that has horses and he uses the mosquito dunks in the watering pond..when i crush the mosquito dunks do i sprinkle them on top of the soil ? out of the diatomaceous earth food grade-mosquito dunks-what would you use out of these 2? i will have to order whatever i use..with the apple cider vinegar, do i put cellophane over the rim of the glass and poke tiny holes to allow the gnats in(seen this on youtube)..there is alot of good info on youtube but, that is where i was told to spray neem oil on the top layer of soil and try to keep the oil off the leaves if possible(complete opposite of what you said)..i am staying away from youtube for growing info from here on out, too much bad/inaccurate info on youtube..again i appreciate the info.
First, let me state that I have never eradicated fungus gnats. They're BAD where I am and I've even found them down on the back of the property (I live in California's Sierra Nevada mountains), I've never experienced such a persistent little fucking pest.

When I used DE, I did not find relief. When I used crumbled dunks sprinkled on the surface of the soil, I did not find relief. I used the dunks in the water I used for mixing up fertilizers, found no relief. I found some good relief using Capulator's beneficials, but not eradication. I haven't gotten a hold of Gnatrol, but I do have cedar oil and am able to mix up my own 'cides' using essential oils--no relief.

The issue is the gnats getting into the root zone and laying eggs, the larvae are what damage and kill our plants. So the neem may seem like a good idea, until you go too far and smother your plants. I've done it, and ultimately it not only didn't kill the larvae, it did kill a bunch of veggie starts I had going.

I've done so much trying to eradicate them indoors (NO harsh or persistent chemicals though, I'm fairly married to organic methods) that I've lost track of everything I've done. This includes sandwiching the media between layers of perlite when potting, which didn't work.

So asking *me* what works isn't necessarily a good idea, because the only way I've seen that stops them from eating up whatever I'm trying to grow inside is to plant it in pure perlite. Everything I've discussed has worked well for pretty much everyone else I've seen post about the subject, though.

Sorry, but I've gotta be honest.

I

irondonkey

First, let me state that I have never eradicated fungus gnats. They're BAD where I am and I've even found them down on the back of the property (I live in California's Sierra Nevada mountains), I've never experienced such a persistent little fucking pest.

When I used DE, I did not find relief. When I used crumbled dunks sprinkled on the surface of the soil, I did not find relief. I used the dunks in the water I used for mixing up fertilizers, found no relief. I found some good relief using Capulator's beneficials, but not eradication. I haven't gotten a hold of Gnatrol, but I do have cedar oil and am able to mix up my own 'cides' using essential oils--no relief.

The issue is the gnats getting into the root zone and laying eggs, the larvae are what damage and kill our plants. So the neem may seem like a good idea, until you go too far and smother your plants. I've done it, and ultimately it not only didn't kill the larvae, it did kill a bunch of veggie starts I had going.

I've done so much trying to eradicate them indoors (NO harsh or persistent chemicals though, I'm fairly married to organic methods) that I've lost track of everything I've done. This includes sandwiching the media between layers of perlite when potting, which didn't work.

So asking *me* what works isn't necessarily a good idea, because the only way I've seen that stops them from eating up whatever I'm trying to grow inside is to plant it in pure perlite. Everything I've discussed has worked well for pretty much everyone else I've seen post about the subject, though.

--------

-----------------hi, i appreciate the honesty, they are very persistent..i have been using the neem oil for 3 grows and have not killed any plants thank fully(i dont think ? )..i cant actually say that because i had all the fan leaves turn brown/dry out/fall off and there were very few sugar leaves big enough to absorb..and the bud actually fattened up good(og kush-sour diesel)..this issue started at about wk 4 of bloom, it could of been a ph issue, nute issue..i just started using promix and liquid nutes (general organics go box)..i was told it was ph/overwatering/root rot and 3 different other diagnosis lol and everyone had very good pics and everyone said something different- the runoff ph was 6.1 in promix, so i cant see how it could of been a ph issue..i keep a journal still..so it could of been the neem oil that did damage and made the leaves dry out/fall off..the couple of plants had just sugar leafs and the buds got large and pretty good, i was shocked i expected a loss from those.. i have been using neem oil and learned alot since my first grow, i dont have any issues at all with ph/root rot etc the plants are nice and healthy and in wk 5 of bloom..foxfarm ocean forest and neem oil are a disaster..but, since figuring out how to grow indoors the neem oil dont seem to be affecting them..and if i spray the neem oil mixed with protekt every 2 wks i dont see any flying..as soon as i stop spraying they are back, so i am not killing them completely, because they wouldnt keep popping up if i dont spray..i am gonna try the diatomaceous earth, if that dont eradicate them completely than i will use the mosquito dunks..and just keep trying less stressful method(neem oil), i say less stressful because now that you told me you killed plants using neem oil, i will be looking for issues more intensely now lol..i read the diatomaceous earth is completely harmless to plants, no bad taste/odor..i dont want to put anything in the promix that will potentially kill/stress/stunt my girls..have you tried the neem with the dyna gro protekt as a mixing agent(to break down the neem and allow it to mix well with warm water)? ifeel for you not being able to get rid of the gnats, i used to get really uptight trying to rid the grow of the gnats..you said you are growing in perlite, you mean just perlite? no type of medium at all? never heard of it, if it works than thats what matters..what ph would you feed at with straight perlite? what nutes do you use? i am very curious because it takes 5-7 days for the promix to dry out and i want to feed it more(every 3 days)..how often do you need to water/feed with just perlite? is there a difference in brand of perlite? it seems like it would dry out fast with good airflow(6"440cfm exhaust w/12" oscillating fan, both run 24/7 )and it takes 7days to dry out..i keep temp at 70-72 w/air conditioner in summer..and i mix about 40% perlite in with the promix along with dolomite lime, it seems like 7 days is too long..i am always open to new nutes/medium/techniques as long as they work..i used fox farm ocean forest a few times and did not like the way the soil is processed/mixed ? f.f. killed a few clones(turned so dark green they looked blk in 3 days), i mixed perlite in with the f.f. also and a few times i had burnt plants..so i stay away from fox farms, i read that having hot bags(more nutes than the next bag)is common with f.f. o.f. soil..so i went with the promix and go box nutes and have had decent luck so far..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Straight perlite does well being treated like hydro, so 5.2-5.8, with most of the plants being pretty happy at 5.5 pH. I'm not currently growing in perlite, I'm currently growing outside using soil food web methods (all organic). Because perlite has absolutely nothing a plant can feed on, I fed at low rates every watering, which is adjusted as the plants grow. I did the perlite in hempy tubs, so you don't have to feed/water daily until/unless they get very large.

DE won't hurt the plants at all. It took about two weeks to kill my veggie starts using the neem as a drench, what I used for emulsifying was a stick blender.

Not familiar with Go Box fertilizers, I have a bag of Pro-Mix I haven't had a chance to use yet.

I'd answer more questions but some paragraphing and/or page breaks would be nice. :o

I

irondonkey

Straight perlite does well being treated like hydro, so 5.2-5.8, with most of the plants being pretty happy at 5.5 pH. I'm not currently growing in perlite, I'm currently growing outside using soil food web methods (all organic). Because perlite has absolutely nothing a plant can feed on, I fed at low rates every watering, which is adjusted as the plants grow. I did the perlite in hempy tubs, so you don't have to feed/water daily until/unless they get very large.

DE won't hurt the plants at all. It took about two weeks to kill my veggie starts using the neem as a drench, what I used for emulsifying was a stick blender.

Not familiar with Go Box fertilizers, I have a bag of Pro-Mix I haven't had a chance to use yet.

I'd answer more questions but some paragraphing and/or page breaks would be nice. :eek:
i read on a site called roll itup where a guy was doing a grow comparision with every type of soil/soilless/peat/promix etc and he said perlite done better than any of the others..less issues and better smoke sounds like a plan to me..i am still reading on it..the go box is from general hydroponics(general organics line) 8 bottles are in the regiment..i buy the qt bottles, the go box is enough nutes for about 6 plants start to finish for $40 the bottles are 8oz and 16oz in the box..seaweed extract/alfalfa meal/humic acids/calmag/cold processed squid/sea kelp and some others in the bloom stages bloom and big bud(bloom booster)..the promix and go box go good together i think..i scrog and the 4x4 fills in quick 4-6wks, alot of big healthy branches reaching up for the lumens lol..buds silver dollar sized dried/cured..promix needs lime to balance out the ph, and extra perlite, i add about a 30% ratio perlite..just in case you werent aware...i feed/ph 5.8-6.2 , the go box nutes will bring the ph down around 5.5 from 7.0-7.4(my waters normal ph level) i am gonna try the perlite method and see what kind of results i get..i never used the neem for a drench, i always used a spray bottle to moisten the top of the promix and i have done it for 2 grows, it works good so far..i am gonna lay off the neem and try the new stuff coming.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gotcha, I saw "neem" and "soil" and immediately remembered the smothered roots I engendered. A light spray on the soil shouldn't be saturating the root zone, which is what I was doing, an actual root drench. :)

I

irondonkey

Gotcha, I saw "neem" and "soil" and immediately remembered the smothered roots I engendered. A light spray on the soil shouldn't be saturating the root zone, which is what I was doing, an actual root drench. :)
ill tell you i was thinking about mixing the neem in with nutes and feed the plants but, i decided to just spray around the top of the promix like every 2wks and i always have the coffee/molasses/sugar next to the main stem and i get gnats when they are in the tent or hatched..if i dont spray i see them alot..

Top Bottom