DIY Pest Traps

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

First, let me state that I have never eradicated fungus gnats. They're BAD where I am and I've even found them down on the back of the property (I live in California's Sierra Nevada mountains), I've never experienced such a persistent little fucking pest.

When I used DE, I did not find relief. When I used crumbled dunks sprinkled on the surface of the soil, I did not find relief. I used the dunks in the water I used for mixing up fertilizers, found no relief. I found some good relief using Capulator's beneficials, but not eradication. I haven't gotten a hold of Gnatrol, but I do have cedar oil and am able to mix up my own 'cides' using essential oils--no relief.

The issue is the gnats getting into the root zone and laying eggs, the larvae are what damage and kill our plants. So the neem may seem like a good idea, until you go too far and smother your plants. I've done it, and ultimately it not only didn't kill the larvae, it did kill a bunch of veggie starts I had going.

I've done so much trying to eradicate them indoors (NO harsh or persistent chemicals though, I'm fairly married to organic methods) that I've lost track of everything I've done. This includes sandwiching the media between layers of perlite when potting, which didn't work.

So asking *me* what works isn't necessarily a good idea, because the only way I've seen that stops them from eating up whatever I'm trying to grow inside is to plant it in pure perlite. Everything I've discussed has worked well for pretty much everyone else I've seen post about the subject, though.

Sorry, but I've gotta be honest.
Too bad to hear bout the persistent lil pricks . Hydro shop is pushing nilnat or natnil . Comes in a lil bottle and it's diluted. I'm getting some cus I'm getting a fresh issue and want to eradicate the problem. Peace and good vibes .lol @Seamaiden .

MysteryMoog

MysteryMoog

Hello, new guy here. But i had bad knats, and by accident found a pretty good allie in the war against knats. Waks! And it is the all mighty VFT! Venus fly trap.....yepper, meat eating plants. I am currently cloning them, so i can literally have a back wall of them.
I discovered this by complete accident, though looking back it seems like common sense.
I got my wife a bunch of house plants, including the vft. I threw them in my veg chamber to liven everything up, and i am always fighting knats....the next day i noticed a major decrease in them....and looked at our vft, and man alive, every catcher was closed and had a knat in it!!
I really think i found the secret weapon on waks!

MysteryMoog

MysteryMoog

I was just reading thru this. I realize im not the only one fighting the WAKS. Guys, n girls of course, i know im really a nobody, and nothing more than a bunch of type in cyber space, but this is truly a risk vs reward situation worth doing.
Go get yourselves a venus fly trap, and clone it out. Put them in there, they do a helluva job helping against the waks. They do like to be pretty wet (think bog/marsh) and should have a 3 month sleep. So there is some slight upkeep with them, but well worth knat control.

Unosnow

Unosnow

Cheapest bug traps i have found are free.
At my greenhouse we have these yellow cards, with a 12x12 square grid on them to determine bugs x sq
i just take them home for free and they work great and are incredible.
My system is neg. pressurized though so i rarely get more then a bug per square x week if that.
(but i have also introduced Pholcidae (daddy long legs) into my tent, just make sure no webbing gets on plants or flowers)

But honestly i would just buy those packs of 100 cards its only i think 34.99 and 1 4x4 space requires 1 card per 30 days.
With the time involved in DIY bug traps you could spend that time inspecting and properly feeding your plants and spend the extra 10$ (which you would probably spend in gas getting products for DIY) and get these babies, ill check at work later this week the exact brand

Unosnow

Unosnow

ORRDiFkEScSTApF0yrSBeg.png

The one i have is no longer for sale, but its great. This one comes the closest, use the dead bugs to add to your soil (SOIL NOT SOIL-LESS POTTING MIX or else Micro wont break down the bug corpse)
its a 3 prong attack, kills bugs, provides correct spectrum and allows you to decompose insect corpse into soil with a solid micro nut population)

Oh, P.S. the 12x12 squares are really easy to count the bugs, then use a graph to calculate bugs per ft(or m)2
If you start seeing white fly, fungus nat, ect accumulating (week 1 flower= 1bug per square, week 4= 6bugs per square its time to look into a bug zapper, or i like use to Xtreme brand Kryptonite for fungus nats if that is the only insect i am dealing with [please buy smart pots to prevent fungus nats] ( i recomend the dual function of a LED bug trap as to not throw off your spectrum. I assume anyone growing that is new has purchased LEDs instead of HPS due to the amazing advantages, if your not on full spectrum LED [i use Dominator 2 XXL] your growing in the dark ages)

SoilGame420

SoilGame420

Cheapest bug traps i have found are free.
At my greenhouse we have these yellow cards, with a 12x12 square grid on them to determine bugs x sq
i just take them home for free and they work great and are incredible.
My system is neg. pressurized though so i rarely get more then a bug per square x week if that.
(but i have also introduced Pholcidae (daddy long legs) into my tent, just make sure no webbing gets on plants or flowers)

But honestly i would just buy those packs of 100 cards its only i think 34.99 and 1 4x4 space requires 1 card per 30 days.
With the time involved in DIY bug traps you could spend that time inspecting and properly feeding your plants and spend the extra 10$ (which you would probably spend in gas getting products for DIY) and get these babies, ill check at work later this week the exact brand
Daddy long legs? How are they working out?

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Something for my fellow Star Wars geeks out there who also like delivering Armageddon to fungus gnats...

These are my custom made Admiral Akbar It's a Trap Gnat Traps!🛸
I use yellow 16oz solo cups and Tanglefoot.
The cups can be used as shown and just put on soil or coco surface or sometimes I'll slice the side open and cut out the bottom to make a collar for a trunk. They can also be hung or even cut in half to make two hanging traps from one cup.
Cups can be found almost anywhere...online, dollar stores, walmart, grocery stores, etc. 50 cups for about $10 is about the going rate and a quart of Tanglefoot + a small paint brush to apply costs about $15

Helpful Hint: Store the tanglefoot and paint brush inside a large ziplock bag to contain all that sticky stuff and use disposable gloves when applying it 😋

IMG 2065

Latest posts

Top Bottom