DIY step by step guide for dissolving Chitosan.

• Thread starter Mospeada
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mospeada

Mospeada

Foreword
This method is a bit bro sciencey but the results speak for themselves. That is to dissolve chitosan so it is water soluble. All that is needed is white household vinegar. It is the 4% acetic acid that breaks the chitosan down. I've gone for a 1% solution.

Equipment and Materials:

Measuring scale or 3/4 tsp measuring spoon.
Measuring cup
Measuring jug
Mixer

Deacetylated chitin - Chitosan
White household Vinegar 4%
1 litre distilled water pH downed below 6

Method:

Measure out 1 gram of chitosan, in my case using 90% purity I went for 1.1g. If you don't have scales than 3/4 tsp is the rough equivalent for a gram of Chitosan.
Diy step by step guide for dissolving chitosan
Diy step by step guide for dissolving chitosan 2

Place the chitosan in a jug and pour over 15ml of white household vinegar. You will notice the chitosan breaking down but give it a good mix before adding distilled water that's been pH downed to below 6.
Diy step by step guide for dissolving chitosan 3
Diy step by step guide for dissolving chitosan 4

Add in a litre of pH downed distilled water and mix well until no solids remain.
Diy step by step guide for dissolving chitosan 5

Let it settle for an hour or two and the result should be a clear as water solution with no cloud. I had already used half for some seedlings which is why the jug is half full.
Diy step by step guide for dissolving chitosan 6

Mospeada

Mospeada

Nice work , water soluble Chitosan Oligosaccharide is cheap on eBay.
If you mean this stuff, it's the similar to what I'm using. It's not water soluble. You can mix it in water and pour it over soil then the microbes will break it down. However in DWC hydro it needs to be dissolved into solution so the roots have direct access to it's readily available form. Unless you're running hydro with microbes which kinda defeats the purpose of hydro imo.

Screenshot 20200828 075012  01
Last edited:
Mospeada

Mospeada

The chitosan I bought had "water soluble" written in the description too. I've tried mixing it for half a day using a submerged pump. It didn't dissolve and fell back to the bottom after an hour.
IMG 20200828 080958
IMG 20200828 081636

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Chitosan doesn't produce trichomes at the expense of flower production?

Mospeada

Mospeada

Chitosan doesn't produce trichomes at the expense of flower production?
Hmm I don't know. I use it primarily to reduce transpiration and increase overall plant health.
It doesn't seem to have reduced flower production. My current grow on Gelato's are the biggest I've grown so far, first time using chitosan too.
IMG 20200910 193032

And on my Banner's I'm seeing them frost up sooner than the first time I grew them.
IMG 20200910 193613
IMG 20200910 192721

So far I haven't seen any of the negative effects you're referring to. The main thing that will affect the Banners is that they're grown under cheap flood lights, so I don't expect them to yield big but overall I'm still happy with how they're going.
IMG 20200910 194128

Last edited:
Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

So yeah, I found this stuff while searching for BFX.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/183460922256?hash=item2ab71f8390:g:0dkAAOSwTiVb4khy

How did it work out for you in the end?
That's exactly what I use. It works well. It will dissolve in water, but it takes time and or agitation. Try this: take 100g of chitosan, put it in a quart mason jar and cover it with water. It won't mix well and will be clumpy as fuck. Then dump it in a blender to instantly blend it completely. This will produce about a quart of solution. Then add 2-3ml per gallon to your feed.

B

boticarias

When do you apply the chistosan?

Foreword
This method is a bit bro sciencey but the results speak for themselves. That is to dissolve chitosan so it is water soluble. All that is needed is white household vinegar. It is the 4% acetic acid that breaks the chitosan down. I've gone for a 1% solution.

Equipment and Materials:

Measuring scale or 3/4 tsp measuring spoon.
Measuring cup
Measuring jug
Mixer

Deacetylated chitin - Chitosan
White household Vinegar 4%
1 litre distilled water pH downed below 6

Method:

Measure out 1 gram of chitosan, in my case using 90% purity I went for 1.1g. If you don't have scales than 3/4 tsp is the rough equivalent for a gram of Chitosan.
View attachment 1022236View attachment 1022237

Place the chitosan in a jug and pour over 15ml of white household vinegar. You will notice the chitosan breaking down but give it a good mix before adding distilled water that's been pH downed to below 6.
View attachment 1022238View attachment 1022241

Add in a litre of pH downed distilled water and mix well until no solids remain.
View attachment 1022244

Let it settle for an hour or two and the result should be a clear as water solution with no cloud. I had already used half for some seedlings which is why the jug is half full.
View attachment 1022245

Top Bottom