Diy Uc Of Dank

• Thread starter hiiipower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiiipower

hiiipower

First crack at a under current. I looked into a cc pro 6 uc system, but idk. I thought I could build a similar system but the way I like, and for 1/4 of the price. So hear we go.

4 Varieties: Agent Orange, Querkle, Brian Berry Cough, and Pineapple Fruit Loops/Yoops?(Motarebel C99 x Yooper Kush)

5 27g tough totes from home depot. 1/plant plus a controller bucket.
3" pvc, 3" uniseal grommets, 4" hole saw for grommets to fit snug.
85g water total(roughly)
125 lpm air total (1.5 lpm/g, close to anyways)
8 or 9 stones in each tote
394 gph water pump
1/4 hp Eco plus chiller
Current Culture nutrients: veg, bloom, and mid bud booster per feeding schedule

All these varieties mature differently, so they went into the system on different dates. the Fruit Loops and Brian Berry Cough are 70 dayers so they went in first. Agent Orange a few days later cause it's about a 65 dayer, and Querkle a few days after that cause it's done in 60. Had to do it this way so I can flush everything at the same time in the system and it will all mature at the same time for harvest.

Brian Berry Cough and Pineapple Fruit Loops are 2 wks into bloom.
Agent Orange 1wk in.
Querkle 2 days in.
Vegged them each for about 5 wks.
Diy uc of dank
Below: Agent O on left, Querkle on right. Querkle will stretch to fill out the net. I grew a pack of querkle and picked the fastest growing female. So usually querkle is known to grow slow. But mine grows hella fast and stretches 3x easily.
Diy uc of dank 2
Below: Pineapple Fruit Loops on right and Brian Berry Cough on Left. The pheno of Brian Berry Cough I found is super odd. A very small yielding strawberry haze plant is what it is. Has no traces of Space Dude in it at all it seems, except for the fact it's uber frosty.
The Pineapple Fruit Loops threw nanners the first time I ran it, so I'm running it again to see if it will hopefully not do it from clone. I hope it doesn't cause it's phenomenal, and that's no over statement.
Diy uc of dank 3
Diy uc of dank 4
Diy uc of dank 5
Diy uc of dank 6
Below: Pineapple Fruit Loops
Diy uc of dank 7

Below: Brian Berry Cough.
Diy uc of dank 8
Diy uc of dank 9

Diy uc of dank 10

hiiipower

hiiipower

What a difference a chiller makes!

I know that must sound like common sense to so many that read that. I, however, was pretty stubborn and ran rdwc w/out a chiller for 3 yrs. This is my first run with a chiller, and wow, it's like a whole different media. I know there's plenty of hydro growers on the Farm here that contemplate chiller or no chiller, so wanted to post what I've learned so far.

Growth w/out a chiller was really good. They still grow 2x as fast as my coco/soil/organic.
Growth with a chiller is 30% faster than the hydro w/out chiller. Roughly...

It used to take me 9-11(11 for slow growers) wks of veg to grow 2 plants into a 4x4 scrog net, fully, to the edges of net. Then I would flip to bloom, plants stretching typically 10-14 inches to finish.

With a chiller, it takes me 6-7(7 for slow growers) wks of veg to grow the same varieties into that net. Except I have to flip them way before they fill the net because the stretch is so huge. So I save 3-4 wks of veg. Almost a month at times, of time, effort, electricity, nutes, etc, of savings. Well worth the price of the chiller.

Nutrient difference: Grown in 1.5lpm/g air
This is the strangest by far. I'm about to finish my biggest harvest ever in rdwc w/out a chiller. Looks like I'll pull 1.5 easy on the deathstar I got going right now. The highest ec I hit the whole grow was 0.25, in mid bloom. Vegged them at 0.1 ec. I've pushed them way further. In fact when I first started hydro 3 yrs ago I fed at 3000 ppms and didn't kill plants. Over the yrs I kept lowering the level, until eventually I realized super low is the way to go(when in 1.5lpm/g of air). This is the lowest I've ever gone, and I'm about to have my biggest harvest ever, 1.5+lbs, 1000w, no co2. Now with a chiller...

With a chiller it's pretty much exactly as the cc feeding schedule says(surprise surprise, eh!). Plants require addition of about 0.1/wk in veg, up to 0.5. In bloom so far I'm at 0.6 in wk 2 and they are smashing it, eating about 0.15 ec/day. After 2 wks of stretch they are already 10-14" above the first scrog net, where I usually ended w/out a chiller, plus I flipped them way smaller. Insane. I bet the flavors, resin and potency will be better too. Growth is way better, don't see why it wouldn't affect everything.

Like I said I know a lot of people on here contemplate on getting a chiller or not, that's why I want to throw this up here... Also gotta mention, the sensitivity of the plants in dwc w/out a chiller is so extreme. I've been working my ass off for the last 3 yrs w/out a chiller keeping everything steady, hydro is the easiest media by far imo, but a chiller is required for that to be true.

Later

hiiipower

hiiipower

System is running smoothly so far. Running at 0.6 ec right now in wk 3-4 bloom, per uc schedule still. Plants eating about 0.1 ec/day.

Something I forgot to mention in my first post about setting up the buckets... Super glue the uniseals to the buckets AND after they are dried they need to be sealed around the inside edge with an extremely flexible seal, usually marine seal. Had a helluva time setting up my new under current for veg last week. Marine seal.

It's kinda boring the first couple weeks so I'm not always very active with pics then. Been fighting thrips for the last 2 wks. Those things can actually be a real pain in the ass. Never had any bug problems before so it's really irritating. Sprayed neem oil twice in the last week.

You can see from the pics everything is coming along, but I'm having some trouble with Brian Berry Cough. It doesn't like temps above 75 at all. Getting some cooked leaves under the light, especially after being sprayed, even in cool temps. Her leaves have curled up badly. The Pineapple Fruit Loops is under the same lamp and it's completely unaffected. The brian berry cough is next to the controller bucket, so it get's the fresh nutes right when I adjust, and I think that's affecting it slightly too. She's the most finicky plant I have, but she's starting to smell so hazey strawberry.

The Pineapple Fruit Loops(still unsure if that's correct or not) is a step above everything I've ever grown. Out of all the seeds I've ever popped, she's the one that has it all. Great in every category, size, aroma, effect. I always figured I'd come across a special lady if I just grew as many different seeds as possible, not really caring where it came from. And she's it. Smells exactly like French Toast cereal, spot on, to a T. Just stupid LOUD. Quote from my gf this morning, "Wow. I wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to tell, but, it, stands out so much. It smells just like french toast cereal." I rest my case. Did throw nanners(non sterile) grown from seed, but dankest shit I've ever personally seen in real life.

Lots of pics. Gimme a sec I'll post em up...

hiiipower

hiiipower

Below: Brian Berry Cough in front, Pineapple fruit loops in back
IMG 9729

Below: Agent Orange in front, Querkle in back
IMG 9733

Below: Brian Berry Cough
IMG 9735
IMG 9737

Below: Pineapple Fruit Loops
IMG 9740
IMG 9741
IMG 9744

Below: Agent Orange
IMG 9746
IMG 9751
Below: Querkle
IMG 9757

Below: You can see the Brian Berry Cough just doesn't like something. Curled up leaves badly. Not one on Pineapple Fruit Loops under same light.
IMG 9758

hiiipower

hiiipower

Getting more exciting in mid bloom. Still can't get my thrips to go away. Been spraying Monterey and Neem, i guess not often enough... Gonna have to look through some IPM programs on here and adopt one cause I hate these thrips.

4-5 wks into bloom. Brian Berry cough is the most low yielding thing I've ever grown, and super sensitive, leaves are badly curled up. Pineapple Fruit Loops is taking on a slight melon smell to go with her maple syrup thing.

This system is so simple once it's up and running it's almost boring. I add water and nutrients every other day. Not sure I am feeding at a high enough ec, but for this first run I'd rather under feed than overfeed. I noticed though the PFL looks really light green, but that one is a heavy feeder in veg so maybe just the variety.

On another note the power has been going out repeatedly in my area from these last few snow storms, thankfully don't have to worry about that in an under current, plants could probably sit a few days without power and be almost unharmed. The water is sterile I bet they'd be fine. Still, hoping I don't have to test that theory.

Chuggin along in my first under current grow, still figuring all the specs out, having some fun. Enjoy

Below: PFL
IMG 9775

Below: Brian Berry Cough
IMG 9776
Below: Sea of PFL
IMG 9780
Below: Group of Agent Orange buds
IMG 9784

stutter

stutter

Cool system dude. I diy my own custom undercurrent. Added a few tweaks like top feed and a large flume so I have no airstones at all.
It's super fast. I run no chiller but maybe in the future.

I will be following this for sure

StupidNoob

StupidNoob

Looks fantastic, man. I never feed below 1300ppm, and never higher than 1500 @ 6.3.

I laugh at the ones who try and grow without problems @ .8 - 1 ec and less than 6.3 ph. There is so much bad information on the internet it's ridiculous. Everyone always has to user cal mag lol, sucks to suck, for them.

Sorry I got off track, pretty high lol. I just started a diary here, full of blueberry and blueberry crosses :) check it out, even though it's not much right now.

hiiipower

hiiipower

Cool system dude. I diy my own custom undercurrent. Added a few tweaks like top feed and a large flume so I have no airstones at all.
It's super fast. I run no chiller but maybe in the future.

I will be following this for sure

What's a flume? Never heard of that. The airstones and the lines are kind of bulky and makes for lots more parts than I'd like, but I haven't found anything better than stones yet. Thanks man.

Looks fantastic, man. I never feed below 1300ppm, and never higher than 1500 @ 6.3.

I laugh at the ones who try and grow without problems @ .8 - 1 ec and less than 6.3 ph. There is so much bad information on the internet it's ridiculous. Everyone always has to user cal mag lol, sucks to suck, for them.

Sorry I got off track, pretty high lol. I just started a diary here, full of blueberry and blueberry crosses :) check it out, even though it's not much right now.

Thanks for checking it out. With all the air the low ec has really helped me out, but there's a million ways to skin a cat, whatever it takes I say. Good luck on your blueberry.

StupidNoob

StupidNoob

What's a flume? Never heard of that. The airstones and the lines are kind of bulky and makes for lots more parts than I'd like, but I haven't found anything better than stones yet. Thanks man.

Thanks for checking it out. With all the air the low ec has really helped me out, but there's a million ways to skin a cat, whatever it takes I say. Good luck on your blueberry.
Thanks man. Your plants look good so far, so no disrespect was meant. Was talking the general population that think .8 ec in soil and rdwc work, then want to get angry when you tell them why their plants look like shit lol

stutter

stutter

flume is basically just like a fountain. a quick google search like "flume for aerating water" or "oxygenating water with a flume" should give you tons of info.

this is my set up

IMG 8632

IMG 8639

^^^^^you can see the control bucket here with a fountain effect near the top. its like a fine sheet of water. all that water is being exposed to oxygen^^^^^^^^^

IMG 8635

Last edited:
hiiipower

hiiipower

flume is basically just like a fountain. a quick google search like "flume for aerating water" or "oxygenating water with a flume" should give you tons of info.

this is my set up

View attachment 578888

View attachment 578890
^^^^^you can see the control bucket here with a fountain effect near the top. its like a fine sheet of water. all that water is being exposed to oxygen^^^^^^^^^

View attachment 578889

Huh. That is pretty friggin cool. Never seen those things before. Thanks for the pic gonna look into them

keiksweat

keiksweat

Waterfall effect,natural airation.check out wavegems stainless steel mpb thread,next to the under current section.cool diy,bro.totally agree with the need for a chiller.i lost 3 crops in a row ,rdwc top feed.trying to cheap out.spend the dough,reep the fat harvest.

hiiipower

hiiipower

Waterfall effect,natural airation.check out wavegems stainless steel mpb thread,next to the under current section.cool diy,bro.totally agree with the need for a chiller.i lost 3 crops in a row ,rdwc top feed.trying to cheap out.spend the dough,reep the fat harvest.

Oh heck yeah, I think I follow wavegem just because of that thread, guess I didn't even put two and two together when I saw that flume but yeah it is the same concept, good call. Gotta love his thread mpb is cool for sure.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Sorry,he's the guy who started all the hype of the big mpb grows.if ya ain't seen his stuff on here.vanished with all the pictures off the thread after selling his system plans to big grow co,loads of dollars.

hiiipower

hiiipower

Sorry,he's the guy who started all the hype of the big mpb grows.if ya ain't seen his stuff on here.vanished with all the pictures off the thread after selling his system plans to big grow co,loads of dollars.

Yeah for sure I'd like to know what happened to a few people over there in the tree farming thread. The drama is way to much to keep up with lol. Ds was another huge inspiration of mine, him and Dd were killin it. Too much drama in this industry hope it pans out, but I guess that's business. But as my best pal always says, "drama free is the life for me" lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom