Do clones normally grow like topped plants, even without actually topping them?

• Thread starter Dr_Cactus12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dr_Cactus12

After doing a few outdoor grows from seed, a few weeks ago I started my first indoor grow from clone and everything seems to well so far. However, not that it's a problem necessarily, I've noticed some interesting differences in how the clones seem to grow, one of which is how much more side branching I'm getting from the clones compared to seed grows. I mean look at these bad boys, those little branches are absolutely taking off (at least compared to what I've seen from seed). I'm thinking of not even topping at all considering how much growth we are getting from the side shoots. Is this just how clones normally grow, or could something else be going on here? I'm not too worried about it honestly but I just thought I would ask anyways. Thanks!

IMG_3228.jpg
IMG_3230.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3232.jpg

Anthem

Anthem

After doing a few outdoor grows from seed, a few weeks ago I started my first indoor grow from clone and everything seems to well so far. However, not that it's a problem, I've noticed some interesting differences in how the clones seem to grow, one of which is how much more side branching I'm getting from the clones compared to seed grows. I mean look at these bad boys, those little branches are absolutely taking off (at least compared to what I've seen from seed). I'm thinking of not even topping at all considering how much growth we are getting from the side shoots. Is this just how clones normally grow, or could something else be going on here? I'm not too worried about it honestly but I just thought I would ask anyways. Thanks!

View attachment 1238273View attachment 1238274View attachment 1238275View attachment 1238276
Ideally you want to get the side branches to the same height at the main top. I usually do this by slowing down the main top to be cola. Topping it

D

Dr_Cactus12

Ideally you want to get the side branches to the same height at the main top. I usually do this by slowing down the main top to be cola. Topping it
That's what I usually go for on my grows but I have never seen branches grow at this rate on a plant that was never topped so I was just curious if this was normal on clones. Part of my asking too is because I'm not completely sure my light will be enough in the future and I want to make sure this isn't from a lack of light to the lower shoots.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Another way to slow the main cola down without topping it is simply to super crop the main cola. Every day or so just come back in and give it a pinch and twist. This redirects the hormones to other side branches allowing them to catch up.

D

Dr_Cactus12

Another way to slow the main cola down without topping it is simply to super crop the main cola. Every day or so just come back in and give it a pinch and twist. This redirects the hormones to other side branches allowing them to catch up.
Never heard of supercropping like this but neat idea. I'll honestly try it on one of my plants and see how it works. Completely topping my plants kinda hurts the heart a little bit lol.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Never heard of supercropping like this but neat idea. I'll honestly try it on one of my plants and see how it works. Completely topping my plants kinda hurts the heart a little bit lol.
Then this technique is for you fam! Make sure to be careful tho I’ve forsure accidentally removed branches. Every strain is different sometimes they are super rigid and hard to supercrop and others are super fragile and easy to damage. Do it slowly by first lightly pinching on all sides of the desired area and then if it feels right roll it in your fingers back and forth and you will feel it loosen up as you work the tissue. Good luck!

Anthem

Anthem

That's what I usually go for on my grows but I have never seen branches grow at this rate on a plant that was never topped so I was just curious if this was normal on clones. Part of my asking too is because I'm not completely sure my light will be enough in the future and I want to make sure this isn't from a lack of light to the lower shoot
Could be strain but they look a little leggy. You might need more light in flower

Heywood

Heywood

Do yourself a favor and watch this entire video.
But if you only want to see supercropping technique, skip to 23:35

D

Dr_Cactus12

Could be strain but they look a little leggy. You might need more light in flower
Running an MH ts1000, probably should have gotten the 2000 for my 3.3'x3.3' tent. Or, if I wanted to use that light, I should have probably gone for a smaller tent instead since I only plan on growing three plants at a time. If I were to downsize the tent to say, the 2.3'x2.3' tent, would a smaller tent concentrate the light enough for the 1000 to work for the three plants or would I still ideally want to have a bigger light? Sorry for the noob question, I'm still pretty new to indoor.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Clones grow only 1 fanleaf per node (except when taking an early top clone) so there's less shade there and that is going to promote the sideshoots.
Seedlings also seem to have a stronger apical dominance imo

Top Bottom