Do I need a passive intake or intake fan?

• Thread starter SofaKingHigh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Hey quick question, I’m building a grow room it’s a 10x12 room. I set up the exhaust fan with filter going out a window. Now do I need to cut a intake hole in my room so it can draw air from my basement or is there enough air able to get in? If I do need to cut a hole would a intake fan be better than just passive? Thanks
Do i need a passive intake or intake fan

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey quick question, I’m building a grow room it’s a 10x12 room. I set up the exhaust fan with filter going out a window. Now do I need to cut a intake hole in my room so it can draw air from my basement or is there enough air able to get in? If I do need to cut a hole would a intake fan be better than just passive? ThanksView attachment 1194279
I use a bathroom fan on both ends one for intake and 1 for exhaust. I box them up add duct to both ends & screens on the intake ducts. They run silent and I've have 4 of them running 24/7 ....2 of them have been running non stop for 2 years + in a veg room. 3'x4'x6' & my new led light room about the same size. I'm able to buy them pretty cheap around $5 each at discount stores. I like to have fresh cool air entering my rooms down low and warm air exhausting out near the top. I set timers in my clone box 2'x18" 'x2'.... 12 volt exhaust fan/ no intake just a hole letting air in to control the temperature by exhausting for 1 min every 5 min...

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Hey quick question, I’m building a grow room it’s a 10x12 room. I set up the exhaust fan with filter going out a window. Now do I need to cut a intake hole in my room so it can draw air from my basement or is there enough air able to get in? If I do need to cut a hole would a intake fan be better than just passive? ThanksView attachment 1194279
Ok, very important thing to look out for that many over look….. how many cfm will you be pumping out of that room? And do u have your water heater in the basement? If u do and you throw over 200cfm out of the basement….the carbon monoxide gas from your water heater won’t go up the pipe and out the house….it will be sucked out into the room…I strongly strongly strongly suggest getting a carbon monoxide detector and putting it right on top of your water heater a few inches away from the vent on top…. I ran into this and meted my carbon monoxide detector because I had to much going out of my basement and the heat and fumes sucked into the whole house…. If that happened when the whole house is asleep….good chance no one is Guna wake up……ever….. sounds far fetched and crazy but trust me u gotta be carful with that

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

What ever cfm is going out one window…u want comeing in on another…. That’s a big room, how are u Guna handle heat? U Guna use central air, mini split, or portable ac?…… as far as air exchange goes, I’m in a 4x8 tent in a basement and I have 730cfm getting sucked out and 730cfm getting blown in after it’s been dryed and cooled. U don’t want and air getting thrown into your room u till it’s been dryed and cooled. A Portible ac or 2 will dry and cool air being sucked in their so your not fighting a loosing battle with heat and humidity

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Ok, very important thing to look out for that many over look….. how many cfm will you be pumping out of that room? And do u have your water heater in the basement? If u do and you throw over 200cfm out of the basement….the carbon monoxide gas from your water heater won’t go up the pipe and out the house….it will be sucked out into the room…I strongly strongly strongly suggest getting a carbon monoxide detector and putting it right on top of your water heater a few inches away from the vent on top…. I ran into this and meted my carbon monoxide detector because I had to much going out of my basement and the heat and fumes sucked into the whole house…. If that happened when the whole house is asleep….good chance no one is Guna wake up……ever….. sounds far fetched and crazy but trust me u gotta be carful with that
That’s definitely something good to know! I’ll definitely throw a detector on my water heater. Also it gets really cold here if I was drawing air from outside it would be crazy to try and warm that air. I’ll also be using a humidifier because it’s already super dry here.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
not to worry with an electric water heater no carbon monoxide gas off that.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I got the exhaust fan all hooked up now with it exhausting outside. I’m hoping this 6 inch inline fan will be enough for my 10x12 room. I also put a 4 inch air intake on opposite side of room near the floor. Also received inkbird controllers so going to be hooking the them up soon. Can’t wait to get the new spiderfarmer light in the mail and up.
B5801EC0 6400 45D4 B65A 570922953666

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

And on average right now, what’s your baseline temps and rh% in that room?

Top Bottom