Do I trust Apera pH meter or GH indicator solution?

• Thread starter Fangthane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fangthane

Fangthane

I'll try to make a long story short. Decided to splurge on a pH meter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOHN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's their burdget model, but it seemed like I should be able to trust Apera. The first one Amazon sent was clearly already used and returned for being defective. I bitched and returned it immediately. The second one they sent was definitely brand new. It was within .1 of the included buffer solutions, but I went ahead and calibrated anyway so it would be ready to roll when I'd need it in a few days.

So, I go to finally use it. Even as much as I suck at growing, I have come to have some sense of feel for when my nutrient mix should be around the right pH. So I get it right about to where i think it should be, yet my new meter is saying it's 7.2. Seems a little higher than expected, but I go ahead an add another mL of pH Down, thinking that should put me right around 6-ish. PH meter now tells me it's 7.0. This just doesn't seem right, so I. decide to get out my GH pH indicator drops and see what they say.

They're showing a nice bright piss yellow color, telling me I should be right around 6.0. Decide to recalibrate the meter (even though I'd just done it a a few days prior). It doesn't seem to like the 4.0 buffer solution, but after a few tries I get both parameters - -4.0 and 7.0 - set. I test my solution again, and it's now saying 6.7-6.8. Meanwhile, my GH drops are still turning the sample bright piss yellow.

Which leads to my ultimate question: Which would you trust? If close enough is the absolute best I can hope for from this meter, I may as well just return it and stick with the drops. What do you people think?

Nugg

Nugg

I think close enough...I still use drops..I have 3 dwc systems..I got tired of the cost and have to adjust meters..not like I have to check it every day

Fangthane

Fangthane

not like I have to check it every day
Other than my perception that a QUALITY meter would be more accurate than my old eyes having to interpret exactly which shade the drops turn my sample, you've kind of hit on my main reason for even wanting a decent meter. On a short test run I did with my DWC buckets, I was getting wild pH swings like every 12 hours or so. My tap water starts out 8.5+. With having to constantly fight pH fluctuation, I figured a meter would just be less of a pain in the nuts than having to take a small sample and use the drops several times a day. Definitely not ready to give hydro a serious shot yet, but I was hoping a solid meter would be one of the first steps toward getting there. Depending on what additives I use, it's kinda hard to tell what color something changes to when the sample pretty much looks like coffee to begin with. Have a feeling I'm gonna send this thing back. Just wanted to get as many opinions as I could.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that 1 in 12 men suffer color blindness. Some don't even know it.

I used to use the drops until I started doing hydroponics, in which case a pen is always a better option.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
And I dont know about that brand but I have used Bluelab pens for years with no issues. Dont pay any attention to reviews on Amazon, 99% of those people couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag let alone operate a 2 button electrical device lmao

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I have the meter you linked to and I like it. I check cal (ph7) regularly and cal it about once a week.

Fangthane

Fangthane

Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that 1 in 12 men suffer color blindness. Some don't even know it.
I'm fairly confident that I perceive colors in a reasonably typical manner. Otherwise, my time spent setting color on printing presses would probably have gone very differently. If we're just talking about straight tap water, the drops seem almost idiot proof. It's when the samples start getting pretty murky that I lose confidence. Think I'm just gonna send it back. Maybe after I finish saving up for QBs I'll start saving for a Bluelab. Just gonna have to stay away from Recharge or anything else that turns my solution black in the meantime. Thanks.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

I like drops, but I also wish I still had my Star Trek flip phone!

quirk

quirk

One thing I learned while skydiving-System Redundancy. Also, for my tap water (ph8.2 , 455ppm, 1/8th tsp/gal of these ph down crystals seem to stabilize @ ph 6.5 better than the drops.

IMG 20191116 204223650
DSCN2578
Moshmen

Moshmen

I'll try to make a long story short. Decided to splurge on a pH meter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOHN8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's their burdget model, but it seemed like I should be able to trust Apera. The first one Amazon sent was clearly already used and returned for being defective. I bitched and returned it immediately. The second one they sent was definitely brand new. It was within .1 of the included buffer solutions, but I went ahead and calibrated anyway so it would be ready to roll when I'd need it in a few days.

So, I go to finally use it. Even as much as I suck at growing, I have come to have some sense of feel for when my nutrient mix should be around the right pH. So I get it right about to where i think it should be, yet my new meter is saying it's 7.2. Seems a little higher than expected, but I go ahead an add another mL of pH Down, thinking that should put me right around 6-ish. PH meter now tells me it's 7.0. This just doesn't seem right, so I. decide to get out my GH pH indicator drops and see what they say.

They're showing a nice bright piss yellow color, telling me I should be right around 6.0. Decide to recalibrate the meter (even though I'd just done it a a few days prior). It doesn't seem to like the 4.0 buffer solution, but after a few tries I get both parameters - -4.0 and 7.0 - set. I test my solution again, and it's now saying 6.7-6.8. Meanwhile, my GH drops are still turning the sample bright piss yellow.

Which leads to my ultimate question: Which would you trust? If close enough is the absolute best I can hope for from this meter, I may as well just return it and stick with the drops. What do you people think?
Damn I know the set! Just got mine today guess I’ll buy some strips as backup. Thanx for the heads up!

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
I'm fairly confident that I perceive colors in a reasonably typical manner. Otherwise, my time spent setting color on printing presses would probably have gone very differently. If we're just talking about straight tap water, the drops seem almost idiot proof. It's when the samples start getting pretty murky that I lose confidence. Think I'm just gonna send it back. Maybe after I finish saving up for QBs I'll start saving for a Bluelab. Just gonna have to stay away from Recharge or anything else that turns my solution black in the meantime. Thanks.

Yeah if you shop around you can find pretty decent deals for the bluelab pens. I suggest getting the grower's toolbox they sell. It has both the PPM and pH pens with cleaning tools a little cleaning agent and some calibration solutions for the pH meter. I would recommend buying cheaper calibration solutions the bluelab brand stuff is pretty pricey and not necessary. I get the general hydroponics brand stuff it's only 17 bucks on amazon for both bottles.

But yeah a good pH and conductivity pen is pretty important if you want to get serious about growing. If taken care of they should last you a lifetime. Just don't drop them or let the pH pen dry out. Dont stick a pH pen in distilled or RO water without adding nutrients first. The bluelab pH pen also tells you when it needs to be calibrated. So you just have to clean it and calibrate once a month or two weeks depending on how often you use it, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom