Do Manufactures Use The Measurement BTU Consistently? (Mini split vs window A/C)

• Thread starter Stoner Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stoner Smurf

Do all A/Cs rated at 12,000 BTU produce the same amount of cold air? Does a 12,000 BTU Window A/C cool a room as well as a 12,000 BTU Split A/C? Or do manufactures just kind of use what ever number they want and no one checks them on it.

Here's my specific problem. Right now I have a 10,000 BTU Window A/C for a 10x16x8 room with 4000watts of light. I use inline fans and duct to spread the cold air around my room, which made it slightly more effective. But still it does not cool the room nearly enough. Also I would need to buy new insulated duct, as the non-insulated drips condensation.

My real problem I guess is the only power I have available is 20amps of 110 voltage. All my 220 line is hooked up to timers and has lights on them. Any A/C over 12,000 BTU usually has a 220 plug.

I was thinking of getting one of these 12,000 BTU mini splits. But if it is only going to produce 1/6 more cold air than my current window hopper, it's not going to cut it.

So I am back to my original question, how accurate are the manufacturer's BTU ratings? Is a 12,000 BTU going to produce a lot more cold than a 10,000 BTU window hopper, or is it going to produce 1/6th more cold air?

P

paperplane

It will produce a little more. You also want to look at the Seer rating. The higher the Seer rating the more efficient the unit will be. Also get a mini split with an Inverter to save power. Mini split are more efficient, Cools instantly, and saves more power. Im not sure if 12,000 btu's are gonna cut it for a 4 light banger. I think each 1k light gives off 4,000 Btu's of heat. Check out Justminisplit.com they have some cheap Mini split's.

M

MIway

So I am back to my original question, how accurate are the manufacturer's BTU ratings? Is a 12,000 BTU going to produce a lot more cold than a 10,000 BTU window hopper, or is it going to produce 1/6th more cold air?

I would think the minisplit would giver you a truer cooling capacity as it has a relatively large fan that is dedicated to the heat exchange... vs window units which have limits on their size & efficiencies.

But it really gets complicated because the total cubic feet of air capacity & air flow & outside exchange temps all makes a difference. And SEER if you want to factor in power consumption.

As a general rule, better trust the minisplit ratings to handle the real load... go a little over on the window & portable units. At 4 lights, you might need 16000btus... and that will depend on the ambients too.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Do all A/Cs rated at 12,000 BTU produce the same amount of cold air? Does a 12,000 BTU Window A/C cool a room as well as a 12,000 BTU Split A/C? Or do manufactures just kind of use what ever number they want and no one checks them on it.

Here's my specific problem. Right now I have a 10,000 BTU Window A/C for a 10x16x8 room with 4000watts of light. I use inline fans and duct to spread the cold air around my room, which made it slightly more effective. But still it does not cool the room nearly enough. Also I would need to buy new insulated duct, as the non-insulated drips condensation.

My real problem I guess is the only power I have available is 20amps of 110 voltage. All my 220 line is hooked up to timers and has lights on them. Any A/C over 12,000 BTU usually has a 220 plug.

I was thinking of getting one of these 12,000 BTU mini splits. But if it is only going to produce 1/6 more cold air than my current window hopper, it's not going to cut it.

I am a HVAC pro. If your lights are vented properly then you need about 16,000 btus/hr hour. Most likely you will get a 18,000 btu/hr unit (1.5 tons). So to answer your question you don't have enough a/c. Also as mentioned minis are much better w/ electricity (cheaper to run). If lights not vented get a 2 ton (24k btus/hr).

D

darkcloudy

CannabisJohn. Would you say a minisplit performs just as well as a conventional central AC unit? Iam trying to decide whats better, multiple mini-splits (like a couple 22 SEER 2tons) or just stack conventional 5tons for a bigger grow? (15-30k)

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn. Would you say a minisplit performs just as well as a conventional central AC unit? Iam trying to decide whats better, multiple mini-splits (like a couple 22 SEER 2tons) or just stack conventional 5tons for a bigger grow? (15-30k)

Higher the seer the more efficient it runs. Conventional splits only go up to about 16-18 seer but minis can go higher. Another consideration is space inside and outside. Also electrical is another consideration. PM me and we can discuss further.

blazer

blazer

Mini- splits(ductless-splits)is the way to go just as good as central cooling actually more efficient get up in the 20's for seer rating which is offthe charts but u need to got with 208/230v and a inverter system to get that hi of seer (worth the extra cash)and they blow the doors off a Window unit(window shaker) they can be set up with one condenser and several evaporators perfect for sealed rooms oh ya super quiet operation they are a little costly around a 1k for a 1 ton for a decent brand (fugitsu,sanyo) would stick to a good brand don't want it to fail in july
personal I would go with multiple units if possible instead one big one in case one goes down u still got some cooling rather than nothing in july because that's when it will go down if it does ask cannabisjohn im sure he can confirm that

As far as I no they(manufacturers) rate unit capacity the same!

Latest posts

Top Bottom