Do plants grow at night or during day?

• Thread starter Leelandgrow4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leelandgrow4

Leelandgrow4

So I was looking at this other thread I found online and these people were arguing and said that plant grow during day well i would say more at night anyone want to chim in go ahead cause I lsted my plant yesterday and they didnt and I looked this morning and they definitely are facing towards the light now

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I think it plays into both, at least for photoperiod strains. I find that my plants store the energy for night time and stretch out a little bit but most of my growth happens during when my led is on. I’m interested what other people have to say!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
So I was looking at this other thread I found online and these people were arguing and said that plant grow during day well i would say more at night anyone want to chim in go ahead cause I lsted my plant yesterday and they didnt and I looked this morning and they definitely are facing towards the light now
Plants grow during the day AND night. During the day, they use sunlight and CO2 to make sugars, which the plants store and use for growth. During the night, plants use the stored sugars made during the day and combine them with O2 (Oxygen). Most of the cell growth is done at night, and plants tend to stretch or grow more during the dark phase. This is why growing under 24/0 produces very compact plants, while shorter photoperiods, 18/6, cause them to grow taller. This is an oversimplification of what goes on, but it is essentially correct. Plants will also lean towards the light, which is a slightly different process that relies on intensity of sunlight to regulate growth. More growth on the shaded side results in the shaded side pushing the exposed side, which happens to point the growing top of the plant towards the sun. It could almost be said that the sun/light can act as a growth retarder, instead of the dark being a growth accelerator. 6 of 1, a half dozen of another. If any contrary information is available, please feel free to post it.

Heywood

Heywood

I know this is an old, old thread... but the information is excellent.

For my particular grow that I am currently doing with Blueberry Muffins, I vegged them under 24hr light.
These plants/strain are squat in stature anyway, but I think the 24hr light also retarded their growth a bit.

Going forward with future grows, I would do either 20/4 or 18/6.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I know this is an old, old thread... but the information is excellent.

For my particular grow that I am currently doing with Blueberry Muffins, I vegged them under 24hr light.
These plants/strain are squat in stature anyway, but I think the 24hr light also retarded their growth a bit.

Going forward with future grows, I would do either 20/4 or 18/6.

Ever since I read an article in Maximum Yield about the 6 on 2 off cycle, I've been doing that and my plants have been super happy. Don't think I'll ever go back.

Heywood

Heywood

Ever since I read an article in Maximum Yield about the 6 on 2 off cycle, I've been doing that and my plants have been super happy. Don't think I'll ever go back.

Thanks, I will have to research that.

Top Bottom