Do plastic curing containers kill smell?

• Thread starter Buddy Hemphill
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Buddy Hemphill

I dont want to have to burp a ton of jars every day.

I read a thread where plastic airtight dog food bins were suggested...along with people who said that plastic would kill smell/taste.

This is my largest show to date, and jars seem impracticle.

Has anybody used glass and plastic in a side by side..or swapped from one to the other and seen a difference?

I don't see how much more thatn 5-6k can go in mason jars and then have to be burped a couple of times a day efficiently. But I am a green pea.

TIA

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

I normally only use glass canning jars. But one harvest I was a few jars short so I used plastic contairs that I had. The meds that came out of the glass jars smoked, smelled and tasted better. The ones that came out of the plastic had a funky taste and smell to them and it didnt seem to smoke nearly as well.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've done some storage in plastic containers, but ever since being bitten by a rattlesnake my sense of smell is greatly diminished, so I don't trust my own nose anymore. They let the bud dry out waaaayyy too quickly, for one thing.

I'm trying to think of a giant alternative, and I can't because anything that's too big is going to require that you turn the buds over or something, in part so they don't get compacted and in part so moisture doesn't build up in lower recesses. A giant humidor where you could lay them out would be perfect. A room-sized humidor.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Never tried this, so its just an idea and I dont know exactly how BIG your harvest is but what about a few really big cookie jars or smething?? Most of them are glass and airtight. Some are even light proof. Like I said ive never seen this done but it would be a source of a large non-plastic container. But like seamaiden said, you would still have to turn them over. A humidor would be perfect, and also visually appealing...... Go to the local cigar shop and ask to use their humidor for a few weeks haha im sure they wont mind.

Blaze

Blaze

Dual layers of turkey bags or contractor bags will work for larger amounts. I think curing in glass does work a little better, but it is totally unpractical to cure larger amounts in glass jars. So long as you do it right and make sure you are using two layers of plastic to get an air tight seal (one layer will leak air) the difference in quality will be marginal. Also for the most part burping is not needed so long as you get the moisture level right before sealing it up.

H

hbstoner

Ive heard of some curing in home depot buckets with lids.. Those lids snap on pretty tight but I have no personal experience doing this so I cant tell you how good it works.

D

dican01

glass is way better. plastic is just cheaper. the tiny bit of extra time and money it takes to put them in glass is worth it. i have taken buds from plastic, put them in glass jars, and the taste, smell, and smoke improved significantly.
i wouldn't take an expensive, high quality product and put it in plastic. wine that costs this much would be offensive if it came in plastic. good spices come in glass. they do sell big glass containers too. just kind of hard to find.

P

Pandaman

If you wanna save a bit of money, Flower Vases are pretty cheap and they come in large sizes... May be an idea.

B

Buddy Hemphill

Dual layers of turkey bags or contractor bags will work for larger amounts. I think curing in glass does work a little better, but it is totally unpractical to cure larger amounts in glass jars. So long as you do it right and make sure you are using two layers of plastic to get an air tight seal (one layer will leak air) the difference in quality will be marginal. Also for the most part burping is not needed so long as you get the moisture level right before sealing it up.

11k lights. Scrogged OG. Looking like a lot of flowers.:rauch08:

My plan was to strip the fan leaves and hang the plant until the main stalks are snapping. Then cut branches off..over into big rubbermaids until they equalize out. Next pull the branhes out when they are dry (stems snapping, no hay smell) and trim the sweets. Finally put them back into (?glass/plastic) to cure out, until I vac them.

I have never gone this big...although it aint really that big...lol. PLEASE...tell me if any part of this is dumb. I have done well until this point with this show. Don't wanna fugit up now. The trims I have helped with, that were this size, had machines. I thought about mimicking the wet trim technique used with machines and hanging baskets....do the finish trim before it goes into a mesh hanging rack....wet.

Thanks.

Blaze

Blaze

Sounds like a good plan to me - it is similar to how I harvest, cure and dry mine.

I break mine down into 12"-18" chunks, strip all the fan leaves, and then hang dry them for 5-7 days. Once they are dry enough that they buds will not compact under their own weight, I remove all the stems and place the buds in a brown paper bag. The paper bags helps slow down the drying process towards the end and wicks the moisture away from the bud evenly.

They continue to dry like that for another one to two weeks until the main stems snap. Of course this depends on your climate and the density and size of your buds so you may want to do less time. I always try to dry mine nice and slow over a 2-3 week period. Also since I do outdoor I end up with a lot of colas around an oz, so those obviously take longer to dry than indoor buds as they typically tend to be smaller but more even in size.

Once they are dried enough I place the brown bags inside two layers of heavy duty contractor bags. I think it helps the smell by keeping the buds from coming into direct contact with the plastic. Then, the contractor bags get stashed in a cool, dark spot until we are ready to do the final trim on them. Leaving those smaller leaves on up to this point helps protect the buds as well IMO.

edit: Also forgot to mention that how long you plan on keeping your buds and how long it will take you to trim them also determines how dry you want to get them. If you are going to trim them very soon and sell or smoke it within a few months you can leave your buds a bit more on the wet side. If you plant to trim them over a longer period of time and/or want it to still be good 9 or 10 months from now you need to get it more dry. Drier buds keep better in the long term.

I do one large outdoor crop a year so I tend to get mine on the drier side of things since I know I will be rationing it out over a 9 or 10 month period. If you do not dry you buds out enough they will start to yellow and brown and get that hay smell to them after that long of a period of time. IMO it does more damage to the quality of the bud when you leave it too wet than when you get it to dry.

J

Jalisco Kid

30 lb dog food containers. If you are worried about a plastic taste hand rub the inside with your sugar leaf. I use them for cure and I have one for long term storage. I notice no plastic smell. Maybe because they are so old. Jk
Set them in the sun for a week they will have gassed off by then.

resinryder

resinryder

Ive heard of some curing in home depot buckets with lids.. Those lids snap on pretty tight but I have no personal experience doing this so I cant tell you how good it works.

This is what I have always used for very large harvest. BUT!!! I cut circle of wax paper to line the bottom and line the sides with wax paper. Fill the bucket with your harvest and top it off with wax paper.
This will keep your harvest in very nice shape. Just keep the lid on tight and you won't have any problems.
The wax paper helps to prevent the resin glands from sticking to the sides and bottom and halpes keep the product fresh. That's why I put a piece of the wax paper between the top of the product and the lid.
Hope that helped.

J

Janus

These are the plastic containers that JK refers to and that I've used to cure for years. Zero plastic taste, airtight, each holds 3 units comfortably, etc.

dankbuddington

dankbuddington

I believe in reviving old threads. Why ? People search for knowledge myself everyday and people need info it doesn't have to be said today or yesterday info from 80 years ago can be good. A thread is a thread. I love these things. So much help. When I was 10 we needed a library lol. Curing your cannabis in curing jars or containers is among the most popular methods to do this. When choosing a container, go for ones that have wide openings. The lids should be able to seal the container tightly. Avoid using plastic containers because they can leech chemicals and it won’t be good for your cannabis or your health.
While others use bags made of plastic in curing cannabis, this is also not good. The buds won’t cure properly if you do this. Oxygen has to flow properly, and it won’t be able to do that with plastic. Cannabis also has oils in the buds which may break down the plastic. This may taint the buds with the plastic chemicals.
For best results in curing your cannabis, choose CVault stainless steel containers. Unlike plastic, it won’t affect your buds. It is also better than glass jars because it blocks out light and harmful UV rays. Glass is clear and lets light in. You won’t have this problem with stainless steel containers for curing cannabis. https://freshstor.com/curing-jar-for-cannabis/

Now, I’ve been a bit of a glass snob, when it comes to both storing and smoking my cannabis. Glass is just so pure and clean; you don’t have to worry about anything leaching into your weed the way you do (or at least I do) with plastic.

But I just had an experience that has broadened my perspective when it comes to marijuana storage. I tried the stainless steel CVault, “The world’s smartest curing and storage container,” and now I’m a believer.

Now, the challenge facing anyone who wants to store their weed for more than a day or two is that the stuff tends to get too dry and crumbly without some sort of protection. This has often been accomplished through glass jars with rubber seals on the lids, but the drawback to this method is that if the weed is overly moist when you put it in there, the seal is going to hold all that moisture, and it’ll still be too moist when you get it back out to smoke. Sealing the moisture in can even cause mold problems.

But with the CVault, those beautiful flowers stay at the exact right moisture content: Not so dry as be powdery or crumbly, but not so moist as to be difficult to break up and smoke. The stainless steel makes CVault airtight (when the buckles are closed), lightweight, durable and — unlike glass — completely impenetrable to light.
cn134lgextra_2

Parent company Freshstor did extensive testing on humidity control inside the container. They coordinated with Boveda/Humidipak, a company that has developed a patented technology that provides what is being promoted as “the world’s first two-way humidity control packet.” After months of trials, Freshstor concluded that the most effective humidity range for storing herb is between 58 percent and 64 percent humidity. And after a full year of additional testing, the CVault was released to the public.

FreshStor had Boveda/Humidipak develop a 62 percent Humidipak; each packet has a plus or minus humidity variance of just one percent. The Humidipak is inserted into a little shelf in the lid. The packs need replacement after 60 to 90 days. You’ll know the pack needs replacing when it feels solid rather than liquid when squeezed. The packs are reasonably priced, starting at just $1.25 for the small size.

Is a real pleasure every time I open my CVault and discover, once again, that my cannabis flowers are at the ideal humidity to enjoy.

CVault Curing and Storage Containers are available in “Personal” sizes of small (about $20); medium (about $22) and large (about $30); the medium easily holds about half an ounce of herb (you could probably pack in an ounce, but the manufacturer recommends that for maximum effectiveness, you don’t fill more than three-quarters full). They also come in “Commercial” sizes, ranging from two liter (about $46) to the Mega CVault with a 17-liter capacity (about $100).

Cn134lgextra 2 300x300
120197665 785159062277789 6235546272742689011 n
Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

I use food tupperware containers..work great..once i cure mine shes out the door sold...

BudBogart

BudBogart

Food grade 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids is a great way to go once you realize you Have outgrown mason jars.
I have lined them with turkey bags in the past but this year I am adding automatic burping to the buckets by having air pumped into the buckets for just a few minutes probably twice daily using check valves to keep air from leaking when not being purged.
Even burping 12 buckets twice a day for a month without screwing up...hard for me to do.

Madmax

Madmax

Yeah these are great ^^ can even cut hole at top and insert small digital humidty guage to keep check.my bros got a few..

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Could you kit out an empty fishtank as an oversized cigar humidor?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I dont want to have to burp a ton of jars every day.

I read a thread where plastic airtight dog food bins were suggested...along with people who said that plastic would kill smell/taste.

This is my largest show to date, and jars seem impracticle.

Has anybody used glass and plastic in a side by side..or swapped from one to the other and seen a difference?

I don't see how much more thatn 5-6k can go in mason jars and then have to be burped a couple of times a day efficiently. But I am a green pea.

TIA

I have had very good luck using these for "quantity" curing.

Happy Growing 😎 🍻
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMNZB6H/ref=dp_prsubs_3

20201004 104621
20201004 105102
Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I believe in reviving old threads. Why ? People search for knowledge myself everyday and people need info it doesn't have to be said today or yesterday info from 80 years ago can be good. A thread is a thread. I love these things. So much help. When I was 10 we needed a library lol. Curing your cannabis in curing jars or containers is among the most popular methods to do this. When choosing a container, go for ones that have wide openings. The lids should be able to seal the container tightly. Avoid using plastic containers because they can leech chemicals and it won’t be good for your cannabis or your health.
While others use bags made of plastic in curing cannabis, this is also not good. The buds won’t cure properly if you do this. Oxygen has to flow properly, and it won’t be able to do that with plastic. Cannabis also has oils in the buds which may break down the plastic. This may taint the buds with the plastic chemicals.
For best results in curing your cannabis, choose CVault stainless steel containers. Unlike plastic, it won’t affect your buds. It is also better than glass jars because it blocks out light and harmful UV rays. Glass is clear and lets light in. You won’t have this problem with stainless steel containers for curing cannabis. https://freshstor.com/curing-jar-for-cannabis/

Now, I’ve been a bit of a glass snob, when it comes to both storing and smoking my cannabis. Glass is just so pure and clean; you don’t have to worry about anything leaching into your weed the way you do (or at least I do) with plastic.

But I just had an experience that has broadened my perspective when it comes to marijuana storage. I tried the stainless steel CVault, “The world’s smartest curing and storage container,” and now I’m a believer.

Now, the challenge facing anyone who wants to store their weed for more than a day or two is that the stuff tends to get too dry and crumbly without some sort of protection. This has often been accomplished through glass jars with rubber seals on the lids, but the drawback to this method is that if the weed is overly moist when you put it in there, the seal is going to hold all that moisture, and it’ll still be too moist when you get it back out to smoke. Sealing the moisture in can even cause mold problems.

But with the CVault, those beautiful flowers stay at the exact right moisture content: Not so dry as be powdery or crumbly, but not so moist as to be difficult to break up and smoke. The stainless steel makes CVault airtight (when the buckles are closed), lightweight, durable and — unlike glass — completely impenetrable to light.
cn134lgextra_2

Parent company Freshstor did extensive testing on humidity control inside the container. They coordinated with Boveda/Humidipak, a company that has developed a patented technology that provides what is being promoted as “the world’s first two-way humidity control packet.” After months of trials, Freshstor concluded that the most effective humidity range for storing herb is between 58 percent and 64 percent humidity. And after a full year of additional testing, the CVault was released to the public.

FreshStor had Boveda/Humidipak develop a 62 percent Humidipak; each packet has a plus or minus humidity variance of just one percent. The Humidipak is inserted into a little shelf in the lid. The packs need replacement after 60 to 90 days. You’ll know the pack needs replacing when it feels solid rather than liquid when squeezed. The packs are reasonably priced, starting at just $1.25 for the small size.

Is a real pleasure every time I open my CVault and discover, once again, that my cannabis flowers are at the ideal humidity to enjoy.

CVault Curing and Storage Containers are available in “Personal” sizes of small (about $20); medium (about $22) and large (about $30); the medium easily holds about half an ounce of herb (you could probably pack in an ounce, but the manufacturer recommends that for maximum effectiveness, you don’t fill more than three-quarters full). They also come in “Commercial” sizes, ranging from two liter (about $46) to the Mega CVault with a 17-liter capacity (about $100).

These are excellent products as well. I have used everything from the small pocket carrier to the 8 liter container. I know they also make a HUGE like 20 liter container. Well worth the money. If you are talking 5 gallon buckets (multiples) then that is way out of my league. However i do like the idea of forced air twice a day with one-way valves. Certainly sounds reasonable.

Happy Growing. 😎 🥂 🍻

Top Bottom