do russett mites die as plant dries

• yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • no

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

russet mites can live on and continue to eat bud until it's too dry, and the eggs will definitely be there after drying. I know an extract guy who did a nug run of russeted weed and had to filter the mites out of the oil...subsequently he got russet mites in his grow from handling all the trim full of eggs and whatever mites were still alive.

colostoney

colostoney

I haven't battled russets yet but they scare me and im not takin in any clones or new seed for a while because of them

Don't quote me because I haven't tested it but folks say the eggs survive on bud even your seed for years

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
They die when the food source dries out. But the eggs live on. Trim your infested bud to the bone ! Trash the trim and clean up before going back into the garden. Also it`s a lot of work but you might want to start using neem oil BEFORE you see mites in your garden and up to three weeks before harvest. They can be killed off but it takes lots and lots of work.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Can i get some clarification on something ? The russet mite that I've tried to prevent destroys crops before harvest, I thought russet mites prevent a harvest? So what I'm gathering is some russet mites can be fought and some cannot?

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Neem oil kills all mites ,but not the eggs. You need to spray early Before they lay many eggs. Then spray every 4 days like clock work to kill the hatching eggs. You should stop spraying about 2.5 weeks before harvest because neem oil will cause a taste on the buds. If any hatch after that they won`t have much time to kill your plant anyway. Harvest as normal and the hatchlings will crawl off and die. trim infested buds well. mites live on the fine trim leaves not the bud it`s self. spray the under side of leaves and then the top when you spray. they can sometimes move to the top parts of leaves to try to avoid the spray. Neem works by cutting off the air so they can not build up immunity to it. it will also kill many of the beneficial bugs in your garden. But it is not toxic, won`t hurt your skin. just don`t get it in the eyes if you can help it. It is an oil.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
russet mites can live on and continue to eat bud until it's too dry, and the eggs will definitely be there after drying. I know an extract guy who did a nug run of russeted weed and had to filter the mites out of the oil...subsequently he got russet mites in his grow from handling all the trim full of eggs and whatever mites were still alive.
That made me gasp out loud!

cody.young11

cody.young11

I haven't battled russets yet but they scare me and im not takin in any clones or new seed for a while because of them

Don't quote me because I haven't tested it but folks say the eggs survive on bud even your seed for years

Nah they don't live on seeds. But yes buds for sure. Even while dry and cured.

Top Bottom