Do uniseals leak after a while?

• Thread starter copperfacedave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

copperfacedave

Hi

I was reading a thread on the mpb forum about bulkheads on there someone states that uniseals will leak after a while.

Just wondering have other people found this and how bad are the leaks? Is it just a case of replacing the seal how long does a new uniseal last?

Thanks

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Email Daniel down at UC's website. They been testing these sytems for at least 8 years I think....they would know exactly how long they last and how to maintain them even I bet....good folks.

UClover

UClover

I have been growing in the UC since the original prototypes and haven't had any Uni's leak or fail...most likely scenario is the buckets will fail before the Uni's do. As long as the system stays intact (ie. don't dissassemble) they should last for years. Oh and you could probally buy 4 uniseals for the price of one bulkhead...cha-ching!

Onespark

Onespark

I just had a uniseal pop a nasty leak. Only had the system up and running for three weeks. I am about to put a new one in... yay flood. It's a 18 site with 13gal buckets.:muscle

L

legalizethis

Premium Member
Supporter
uniseals dont really leak.

usually the bucket walls is leaking, mainly from bad holes being cut or when assembling the units.

if building your own systems make sure to file or sand down the edges of the pvc before assembly of your system. the sharp edges will cut the seals.

also when drilling your holes for the size of your uniseal. clean off the debris and try not to take off to much of your bucket/tote material when doing so. to much material taken off will leak....but it's not the seal that leaks once again.

good luck.

P

phup

I just set up a 8 bucket 18 Gallon UC and 1/3 of the uniseals are leaking. The ones near the return manifold are especially bad due to the weight of the water in the conduit. Not very impressed with the workmanship by Under Current; the holes are just a little too big for a proper tight fit. Brutal considering the cost of these systems.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

i have bought 4 systems from current culture and all 4 of them had buckets that cracked and caused floods. Daniel sent me replacement buckets quickly but that still doesnt fix 4 100gallon floods

im actually a professional bucket replacer now i can swap out buckets without losing the water that is in the system, i managed to build plugs that fit into the pipes so i can easily disassemble a bucket while keeping all the water in the system

I would like to see this. Got any pictures of this plug system. Kind of a great idea. Curious at how it works in the real UC world rather than in my head.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I just set up a 8 bucket 18 Gallon UC and 1/3 of the uniseals are leaking. The ones near the return manifold are especially bad due to the weight of the water in the conduit. Not very impressed with the workmanship by Under Current; the holes are just a little too big for a proper tight fit. Brutal considering the cost of these systems.

Did Current Culture make a 18 gallon bucket now? I thought it was only 8 and 13 plus their new prototype black deal their working on?

Z

ziggy1

They are fine until you take the UC system apart... it seems that after a while when i disassemble the system to clean and put it back together some seals have leaked. It is very important that the angle of the pvc going into the bucket is perfectly straight , any torquing or pressure on the older uniseals seem to make them leak. I just replace the leaky seals w brand new ones and it stops the leaks

z

R

RMCG

Did you use that little green 'prop' on the return manifold?

You know that one piece in the bag that you were like WTF is this thing?

That piece takes the load off of the last row of buckets/seals.

G

GrowBro

Just had nearly all my buckets crack from the hole out. Apparently there was a bad batch of buckets with the hole cut too small causing pressure on the plastic. Hooray crop lost and $1000s. =\

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I have found the UNIseals great to work with and I have most of my 13gal UC at odd angles and no leaks, I just got my 4 inch seals for my 30 gal system. You don't need a flat surface to use them, they work in barrels and pipes ect. 25 year warranty! and rated to 40 psi if installed properly.

Why use an expensive bulkhead when you can use a Uniseal®? Just drill a hole in the pipe, tank or bucket, insert a Uniseal®, then put some Windex® on the end of the pipe and push it in. It’s that easy! Feels like rubber, but they are made of DuPont Alcryn® rated to 40 psi and warranted for 25 years. They are immune to cold, will not harden and hold pressure and vacuum. The sizes below correspond to standard Schedule 40 PVC pipe. Fit tank wall thicknesses up to 1/2 ”. Made in USA.,

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

i have found the larger diameter(2"+) uniseals leak on rounded surfaces..
i know its advertised to work... maybe I was just being a dumbass and didn't do something right.

K

Killadelph13

Ive had my 8 gal / 16 site for about a month and a half now, in an attic, uniseals are working great, was very shocked to hear about all the leaks. IM PRAYING FOR NO FAILURES. and my uc's didnt come with any kinda of "prop" for the return manifolds, there is a very very small angle to witch it sits so i havent been to worried, should I shim that mofo??????

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Shim it....only the 13's come with the crutch as far as I know.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

You are running a UC in the attic?!!? I dunno but it doesn't sound like a safe bet to me unless you have a floor drain installed. If you spring a leak while you are away crop loss will be only the tip of your iceberg. Just something to consider.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

For Sure

You are running a UC in the attic?!!? I dunno but it doesn't sound like a safe bet to me unless you have a floor drain installed. If you spring a leak while you are away crop loss will be only the tip of your iceberg. Just something to consider.

Amen....if your keeping it up there you should for sure build a shower basin type set up for it. At very least for easier cleaning.

R

RMCG

Amen....if your keeping it up there you should for sure build a shower basin type set up for it. At very least for easier cleaning.

Not just the UC, but with ~any~ hydroponics, you will have water on the floor at some point.

Top Bottom