Do we use to much Magnesium??

• Thread starter dextr0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dextr0

dextr0

What up people, just wanted to take some time out and start up some questions, maybe give answers.
This whole thing really started when justiceman asked me a question on another thread pertaining on how to use magnesium if he is using Calcium Phosphate. Damn good question to which i had no answer.
I had been reading and reading and ran into same ol things for Plant Fermented Extracts, Lactic Acid Bacteria, and of course Calcium Phosphate, and Water Soluble Calcium...but where the hell is the magnesium?
Then Muse hit me up and sent me a intresting link to this here

"I was reading Dr. A Beddoe's book "Nourishment Home Grown". He was taught by Carey Reams that Magnesium (Mg) is something that's over emphasized by conventional thinking just because Mg is the main component of chlorophyll. Instead, he had found that plants can take up all the Mg they need from the air, and just a small amount of Mg in the soil is sufficient for strong healthy growth if the soil is biologically healthy.

He found that often, it was actually Nitrogen deficiency together with low Calcium and Phosphate levels that fooled the farmer into thinking it is an Mg deficiency. Then upon adding Mg, the farmer thinks he had addressed the deficiency because the plant seem to pick up in growth and colour. But soon however, he finds that other problems occur (mainly bugs due to anionic, leafy growth), and now, he thinks he's hit another deficiency, then another, and another... This proves Mg was not the deficiency in the first place, because the plant took the added Mg in replacement of needed Ca and N, explaining why the temporary (false) improvement. This is the gist of how biological ionization works - since everything lives on the energy released from our foods, our bodies (and plants too) will temporarily substitute an element for another just to tide over a deficiency in order to gain that needed energy.
This explanation also most satisfactorily explains how a black cow can eat green grass and produce white milk from which yellow butter is made.

So the small amount of Mg for the soil can be gained from using Rock Phosphate, or like Kelmund says, from Ag Lime.

What is more important is to ensure the amount of Colloidal Phosphate (RP or SRP); Calcium and Soil bacteria are in good levels, and Mg will not be missed again.

Tin, I used to belong to the conventional school of thinking, and had been using Epsom Salt (MgSo4) on the soil and later in foliar feeding, before I learned this Reams method. Now I don't use Epsom Salts anymore and find I have better quality growth. (better quality does not mean bigger leaf or larger blooms, but instead, it means no pests, no weeds, no fungi, sweet fruits, less tending, greater consistency)

Kelmund, if you are following the discussion currently on BrixTalk about using Gypsum and Calcium Carbonate even on a high pH soil, you will have read that Dan Skow recommends Calcium Carbonate + Gypsum, even though soil pH is above 6.4. That is because the soil this recommendation was made for, had high biological activity and sufficient Phosphates. With sufficient P and beneficial bacteria, the 2 types of calcium will become converted to plant-usable energy and the soil pH will still stay stable at the ideal 6.4 as a result of this activity.

And for those who like it in plain language without the technical jargon, add Rock Phosphate or Soft Rock Phosphate. Then add Lime and gypsum, and Chix poo. Finally, inoculate with a beneficial bacteria mix like BioVAM.

HTH

LL"

Wow, interesting indeed. And it went with something I had found earlier and had showed Seamaiden pertaining to plant hormones and how they will also cause substitutions and how deficiencies start domino effecting so to say...lol.

http://www.pruittfamily.com/paul/plants.htm
"The idea is that a cell experiencing a deficiency in one of the four classes of nutrients is no longer able to sustain itself or do so for very long. The signal first tries to address the nutrient shortfall by using stores of the nutrients. Being unsuccessful at that, and with an increase in the level or amount of the signal the cell attempts to address the shortfall by changing the behavior of nearby cells and cells at the opposite end of the plant if they are responsible normally for harvesting that nutrient. Finally if that doesn't fix the problem, the cell decides to senesce accompanied by critically high level of deficiency hormone, a point of no return as it were. Perhaps deficiency signal levels are directly related to the size of the nutrient shortfall and second and third stages of deficiency are not reached if the amount of the deficiency stays at a low chronic level.

The positive feedback comes in because at the third stage, high levels deficiency hormones actually push nutrients out of the cells experiencing the deficiency. Also it is not just their own respective nutrient that the hormone pushes out, but it pushes out all four classes of nutrients. As you can imagine once one hormone is pushing out all the types of nutrients, it soon begins synthesizing other deficiency hormones, which just snowballs the process, finally leading to a condition of high level of all four nutrient deficiency hormones and little or no nutrients left except a cellulose skeleton of where the cell used to be."

So that helps understand how plants substitute one substance for another in need, and how if you foliar feed a plant they may not need mag it may get better but in the long run was just a substitute that should have been filled back in.

All the while im still looking for a organic source of Mag other than Epsom salts...idk why so dont ask.

I go to Seas' thread and check it out because I remember she had said this:
"Sounds like how I ended up doing it without knowing what I was doing or why." After reading the above.
Well I still knocked around for a bit and every thing im finding Epsom Salt in all organic Fertilizers...then I run into this post by true grit:
Originally Posted by cemchris View Post
I noticed that moving from botanicare calmg to the general organic on I had to bump it up quite a bit. Botanicare I would run about 5-7ml per gallon. The GO I run at 10-15ml per gallon.
Yes I noticed this too. I was up around 12-14ml/g with the GO CaMg+. And it took at least 12ml/g to make em happy. Botanicare they were happy around 7-10ml/g.

Originally Posted by 2broke2smoke View Post
i have been using botanacare cal-mag for about 7 years no problems at all , why would u change if it was working well?

2b2s
Folks are just trying to expand to those "organic" options!

I have to agree with Ent- I think its just a bit light on nitrogen a bit early. If you kept the GO CaMg+ at the same rate you were feeding at the beginnin of flower then you would probably need to up that to a lil. Like jaybee said I was up past 10ml/g before they were happy with the GO. Stuff worked great but having to use so much I went through it like crazy- not as efficient as others.

Ya do have quite a bit going on there, but sticking with one brand isn't a big deal. Check out the Calplex (not sure by who). its organic too and no mg. I use other boosters that have Mg and from runnin nutes, haven't really found a base nute lacking in it yet, and since switching to Calplex I have seen '0' mg deficiencies...

Well when I read this I was like cool mane, I know Calplex cuz its an organic source and whats in it is water solible calcium. I just read how to make that through fermentation. Eggshells and Brown Rice Vinegar all u need...but still What about magnesium?....Wait didnt Realms say mag is over emphisized??

"He was taught by Carey Reams that Magnesium (Mg) is something that's over emphasized by conventional thinking just because Mg is the main component of chlorophyll. Instead, he had found that plants can take up all the Mg they need from the air, and just a small amount of Mg in the soil is sufficient for strong healthy growth if the soil is biologically healthy.

He found that often, it was actually Nitrogen deficiency together with low Calcium and Phosphate levels that fooled the farmer into thinking it is an Mg deficiency. Then upon adding Mg, the farmer thinks he had addressed the deficiency because the plant seem to pick up in growth and colour. But soon however, he finds that other problems occur (mainly bugs due to anionic, leafy growth), and now, he thinks he's hit another deficiency, then another, and another... This proves Mg was not the deficiency in the first place, because the plant took the added Mg in replacement of needed Ca and N, explaining why the temporary (false) improvement. This is the gist of how biological ionization works - since everything lives on the energy released from our foods, our bodies (and plants too) will temporarily substitute an element for another just to tide over a deficiency in order to gain that needed energy"

mainly bugs due to anionic, leafy growth....Here he is saying that because you used magnesium which is in anionic for (Epsom salts) added to plant and caused green growth during flowering because it was used as a substitute instead of what it really needed.

Which reminded me of this.
A FINAL THOUGHT ON FERTILIZERS

Following is a basic law of nature that is so often over looked. Many times farmers' success and failure stories don't agree because of varied
soil conditions, various fertilizer mixes, etc.

Here is a basic nature law to consider:

ANIONIC (-) plant food makes growth and CATIONIC ( + ) plant food makes fruit. There are three elements called ISOTOPES, which can be
either ANIONIC or CATIONIC. They are hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen. The ANIONIC form of nitrogen is NO 3 (nitrate) and the CATIONIC form
is NH3 (ammonia). With this basic law all fertilizer can be grouped for needed growth, or fruit production.

Also, ANIONIC nutrients move into a plant quicker than CATIONIC. All organic materials of high carbon content are always CATIONIC (for fruit
set and production).

dextr0

dextr0

Heres another bit of info true grit gave me.

Re: Magnesium
"Yeah tons of killer info there bro! You should most def make a post about all that goodness...

Here's one to throw a kink in the logic but back up base nutes having plenty- I run straight coco. No soil in about a year now. First switched to calplex in soil, carried over to coco. Funny cuz coco is supposed to have major cal/mag deficiencies if not pre-charged...BS...I don't precharge or use any extra mag, and being coco have no beneficial bacteria, just a sterile root zone. Things crank fa sho though!!

I also think folks often mistake ph issues with calmag def. as well and over correct in that manner..."

HeLLMuTT

HeLLMuTT

Thinks of Stinks
Supporter
I also think folks often mistake ph issues with calmag def. as well and over correct in that manner...

I think folks mistake Ph issues with tons of things and only make things worse. All before realizing the whole time their meter was off or they didn't even have one to begin with. Little things are big things...

dextr0

dextr0

Thats true quote but i already know. Thats another important thing is to know how your plant eats, why is this or that happening. Gotta be in-tune and on point. Understanding how our plant uses this or that...all important.

G

gudkarma

it's why i use tap water & not r/o to do mix outs.

at 145ppm, my water is giving me outstanding results & cal-mag nearly unnecessary.

2DogWalker

A quick question, hope this is ok to post in here dex..

I have high ppm well water (around a base of 400), no RO system (unless I go to a hydro setup) - Using a promix, Perlite and a little FFOF mix.... With no epsom I was having lots of calmag related issues (PH was corrected), and I gathered it was due to the high levels of most likely calcium in the well water. Everything looks green and growing (I have a grow thread on here to see), but I don't want to make a happy home for bugs. Do you think the MG is necessary with High Cal levels, or should I try to drop the epsom salt and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!

2dog - EDITED Thanks

justiceman

justiceman

Sweet info dex! That's really interesting about how the plant deficiency hormones pull out the four classes of nutes at the same time and in turn create other deficiency hormones therefore snowballing the effect. It leads us to believe a myriad of things are going on when it might only be one particular element witch is lacking or is in excess.

I personally started using Calplex instead of GO calmag in my current grow and I'm not running into any cal/mag deficiencies at the moment. I do however need to up my Nitrogen levels though in the flower tent. My mother tent however is growing quite well without the added magnesium levels of the GO calmag I was using before. So far I'm sold on Calplex.

Interesting thought process on those foliar sprays. So essentially they are helpful and nutritious but shouldn't be used to attempt to completely curb deficiencies. In a sense they are band-aids until the true problem can be adressed and solved within the medium.

O

ookiimata

In all my past soil grows, I never added any kind of Mg supplement, nor did I ever have any problems. It was never an intentional effort to avoid high Mg, just that on my first grow I didn't want to add Epsom Salts (simply from desire to keep things simple, as well as the idea of adding salt to the soil scared me back then) and figured if problems arose I would add it in later grows. Since problems never arose, I never added it, and actually forgot about it completely when mixing soil and choosing fertilizers. So perhaps I stumbled upon the same conclusion these guys have out of my sheer ignorance. I didn't amend my current organic soil with it either, but they're still just seedlings.

I did always use a CalMag product in hydro, however.

Fascinating info. Thanks so much for sharing it.

dextr0

dextr0

I have high ppm well water (around a base of 400), no RO system (unless I go to a hydro setup) - Using a promix, Perlite and a little FFOF mix.... With no epsom I was having lots of calmag related issues (PH was corrected), and I gathered it was due to the high levels of most likely calcium in the well water. Everything looks green and growing (I have a grow thread on here to see), but I don't want to make a happy home for bugs. Do you think the MG is necessary with High Cal levels, or should I try to drop the epsom salt and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!

2dog - EDITED Thanks

I dont care where u post mane, this is a public site. I just ask that u try and stay on subject.
I dont fuck around when it comes to water. I go strait R0. These companys that ive been using tho add softerners and thats a no no also...so idk. I cant exactly tell u one way or the other. I suggest switching water sources and go from there.

dextr0

dextr0

Thanks in advance!

2dog - EDITED Thanks

I was reading what I can in a book called Hemp diseases and pests: management and biological control : an advanced ...
By John Michael McPartland, Robert Connell Clarke, David Paul Watson
http://books.google.com/books?id=cD...AA#v=onepage&q=hemp pest and diseases&f=false

This is something they had to say and felt u might like to c it, I did go look at your page and I dont see anything bad looking. So if you have no obvious deficiencies I would not worry about it...

Properly fertilized under normal field production conditions, hemp will only rarely suffer nutrient deficiencies. The most probable deficiency to occur in this example is potash deficiency, induced by an access of magnesium in certain soils. If the grower has previously paid attention tho questions of soil "balance," this is less likely to be a problem. Flushing the soil with relatively high levels of soluble calcium-for example 1500 kg ha hydrated lyme- will reduce the phenomenon in the future. Shifting from one side-dressing to two (at 25cm and 50cm), splitting the nitrogen between the two but doubling the potash by applying the original amount in each of the two applications, will also help, especially if done in conjunction with calcium flushing.

dextr0

Edit: For anyone interested that book I listed is a GOOD read. Check it out, Ill be dropping the cash to get my own edition soon, that good.

2DogWalker

I was reading what I can in a book called Hemp diseases and pests: management and biological control : an advanced ...
By John Michael McPartland, Robert Connell Clarke, David Paul Watson
http://books.google.com/books?id=cD...AA#v=onepage&q=hemp pest and diseases&f=false

This is something they had to say and felt u might like to c it, I did go look at your page and I dont see anything bad looking. So if you have no obvious deficiencies I would not worry about it...

Properly fertilized under normal field production conditions, hemp will only rarely suffer nutrient deficiencies. The most probable deficiency to occur in this example is potash deficiency, induced by an access of magnesium in certain soils. If the grower has previously paid attention tho questions of soil "balance," this is less likely to be a problem. Flushing the soil with relatively high levels of soluble calcium-for example 1500 kg ha hydrated lyme- will reduce the phenomenon in the future. Shifting from one side-dressing to two (at 25cm and 50cm), splitting the nitrogen between the two but doubling the potash by applying the original amount in each of the two applications, will also help, especially if done in conjunction with calcium flushing.

dextr0

Edit: For anyone interested that book I listed is a GOOD read. Check it out, Ill be dropping the cash to get my own edition soon, that good.

Dext,

Thanks a lot man appreciate it much. Sounds like corn :) Thanks again tho, I truly appreciate you searching that out for me.
:party0042:

2Dog

O

ookiimata

I have that book but have never even opened it. Need to get on that. Thanks for sharing the info.

dextr0

dextr0

^^Bad book mane for real. I actually have some questions about some of the things they say in there about the soil and percentages they give. They even talk about what the best environment is for beneficials and how u should proportion your nutrients for them...cool stuff. I get to posting some stuff when I get time, I hope people will pop in because im lookin for feed back on this shit. I would like to amend like its telling me, plus Ive been reading some of this Carey Reams thoughts...all interesting but I still wonder if it applys to Cannabis.

dextr0

dextr0

http://www.soilminerals.com/AgricolaII.htm

Let’s talk about Calcium for a bit, OK?

Q: OK. You’ve done quite a bit of studying on that subject, haven’t you?

Agricola: Yes, it’s been like following a conspiracy theory. One gets caught up in the research, and as you gather more and more facts and clues you wonder, how have they kept this hidden? Why don’t people know about this? That’s pretty much how I feel about Calcium.

Calcium is an absolutely wonderful element. Calcium is the buffer that keeps our blood at a pH of 7.4, so nutrients can be electrically inducted into our cells. It is also the element that carries those nutrients into the cell, releases them, and goes back for more. Calcium ions are what make nerve synapses work. DNA can’t be synthesized without Calcium. Calcium can bind to seven oxygen locations on a protein while still holding on to a water molecule and then release them all easily. No other element can do that. Calcium carries the heavy trace minerals like Manganese into the plant from the soil. Have you ever bought a peach or a nectarine where the seed was split open and inside you could see this little shriveled kernel instead of a plump embryo? That seed didn’t form because it didn’t have any Manganese. Every viable seed requires a molecule, maybe only a single atom, of Manganese to bring the electric charge to the seed and the magnetic force to draw the other elements into the seed. There may be plenty of Manganese in the soil, but if there is a shortage of Calcium to pull it into the plant the seeds will be sterile if they form at all. Or there may be enough Manganese and Calcium, but no Boron, and Boron is needed to move and direct Calcium. It all works together and each part is necessary.

Biologists refer to us as Carbon based life forms, but it’s just as arguable that we are Calcium based life forms. Carbon in plants comes mostly from CO2 in the air, but Calcium comes from the Earth, from the soil.

Here’s the conspiracy: how have they (whoever they are) managed to hide the knowledge that Calcium is such an important element in all living things? In plants, animals and humans, adequate Calcium is absolutely essential for life. But just about the only mention Calcium gets in soil science is as a pH modifier. If you think your lawn or garden grows better after you lime it because you changed the pH, I have a newsflash for you: Calcium is the single biggest growth stimulant in plants. pH is a measure of free Hydrogen ions in water. It measures Hydrogen ion concentration, H+ and OH-, and that’s all it does. One can change the soil pH with any acid or alkali. You can raise the pH with sodium hydroxide, which is lye, drain cleaner, or lower it with hydrochloric acid, for instance, but they aren’t going to give you much growth stimulus. They will probably kill the plant. A slightly acid pH of about 6 or 6.5 is ideal, because it gives just the right amount of electrical conductivity in the soil, but plants aren’t nearly as finicky about pH as they are about having the right balance of soil minerals.

Rhododendrons, for instance, are supposed to require an acid soil. What they really prefer is a high Magnesium soil. Experimenters in Scotland raised the pH of soil from 5.0 to nearly 8.0 with Magnesium Carbonate, and the rhodies grew better and better as the soil pH went up because the Magnesium level was going up. pH had little to do with it.

So, this is a good thing to know if you are trying to grow rhododendrons in New Mexico, for instance, where the soil is frequently alkaline to start with, although there you would want to use an acid form of Magnesium like Magnesium sulfate, Epsom salts. But your garden, your farm crops and your fruits and berries wouldn’t necessarily like it (except the blueberries). High levels of Magnesium in relation to Calcium are common in Organic gardening and farming, though, because people are told to lime their soils with dolomite lime, which is high in Magnesium.

Carey Reams recommended a Calcium to Magnesium ratio of 7/1. Albrecht said a 65% Calcium to 15% Magnesium base saturation was about right, which is a ratio of 4.3 to 1. Once again, Albrecht and Reams are both saying the same thing in different ways. Magnesium is more alkaline than Calcium, so it has a greater ability to saturate the soil colloids, a greater ability to displace free Hydrogen. Reams was talking about a 7/1 ratio by weight, Albrecht was talking about their respective abilities to neutralize free hydrogen. If your soil test reads seven times as much Calcium as Magnesium by weight, and there’s enough there to saturate the soil colloids to 80%, you will still end up with Albrecht’s 65% to 15% ratio. Dolomite lime, which all the Organic gardening books seem to recommend, frequently has a 2/1 Ca to Mg ratio, and may even be 1/1. [ed. note: he means a 1/1 ratio of their ability to saturate the soil colloids] This is far too high a level of Magnesium to have in your soil for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, when organic matter breaks down in a high Mg environment it produces alcohol and formaldehyde, both of which are harmful to soil life. Secondly, the Calcium to Magnesium ratio largely determines the looseness or fluffiness of your soil. This was discovered by the petroleum engineers and geologists/geochemists. They had to drill a lot of deep holes full of mud, clay and water. Sometimes this drilling mud was loose and liquid, even if it was mostly clay, and sometimes it was sticky or like cement no matter how much water was in it. They figured out that the stickiness or non-stickiness was mostly due to the Ca/Mg ratio of the base saturation, the Exchange Capacity of the clay. Add more Magnesium, it gets tighter. Add more Calcium, it gets looser. And the exact same thing happens to the soil in your garden, lawn, or cropland. So if you have tight soil, the most likely reason is your Ca/Mg balance. Magnesium makes the soil particles attract each other and stick together, Calcium makes them repel each other and keeps the soil loose. One can, of course, go overboard on the Calcium and the soil will lose all structure and be too loose and fluffy. (laughing) Don’t ask me how I know this. But if you get your Calcium/Magnesium ratios right you can drive on your garden and the soil won’t compact.

Now is this a valuable piece of information or what? Why isn’t this common knowledge? See what I mean when I say it’s like a conspiracy?

It’s worth mentioning here that if you have an extremely sticky soil, the kind that clumps up an inch or so thick on your boots when it’s muddy, you probably have a low Carbon content in your soil as well as a Calcium/Magnesium imbalance. The best cure for low soil Carbon levels is organic matter, or possibly powdered charcoal.

I have made a pastime for a few years of browsing bookstore shelves for Organic gardening and farming books– the ones that have Organic in the title. And I go to the index and look under Calcium, or if there’s no listing for that, which there often isn’t, I look under lime. I have looked at dozens and dozens of these Organic growing books and none of them get Calcium. One or two actually mention that Calcium is a plant nutrient, but most of them only relate it to pH. And all of them tell the reader to use dolomite lime preferably or to use it interchangeably with high Calcium agricultural lime (Calcium carbonate). This is just wrong. Yes, there are times when dolomite lime is needed to achieve the correct Calcium/Magnesium balance, but only a soil test will tell you when that is the case.

Q: Why do you suppose the writers of these organic gardening books are so far off base?

Agricola: They are simply uninformed, completely unaware of the importance and the science of soil mineralization. I also suspect that the confusion is a result of some misguided information from nutritional science that they are trying to apply to the soil. Yes, most Calcium supplements, food supplements I mean, have a 2/1 or even1/1 Calcium to Magnesium ratio, so it seems intuitive to think that that’s what you’d want in your soil. The Ca/Mg ratio in the human body is about two parts Calcium to one part Magnesium. In the Earth’s crust the average ratio is 32 parts Calcium to one part Magnesium. What we want, however, is that elusive 5/1 to 7/1 ratio in our gardens and croplands. As long as enough Calcium and enough Magnesium are stored on the soil exchange sites the soil will be loose and the plants and soil microorganisms will be happy. This is pretty simple, pretty easy to do. But you do need a soil test.

Howard and Rodale didn’t use or understand soil tests, except maybe for pH. I think they associated soil tests with chemical farming. In the 1940s J. I. Rodale worked, for a while, with William Albrecht and another mover and shaker in the progressive agriculture movement, Louis Bromfield. Bromfield had taken over some worn out farmland in Ohio, a place he called Malabar Farm, and was restoring it to marvelous fertility. I’ve never heard the details, but there was some sort of falling out between Rodale and the Malabar Farm group over the use of concentrated fertilizers, like ammonium sulfate. I believe Albrecht and Bromfield took the position that if you could use a pure and concentrated source of fertility, one that grew healthy plants and didn’t harm the soil, this was just good science and good common sense. And this makes sense to me, too, for a couple of reasons. When you go to the health food store or the drugstore and buy mineral or vitamin supplements, you may want them to be from a natural source, but you don’t insist that they be unrefined. For instance, you might want Vitamin E, which generally comes from soy oil, but you don’t buy a gallon of soy oil and drink it to get your 400 IU of d-alpha tocopherol. If you want a Selenium supplement you don’t buy a pound of ground-up rock to get a few micrograms of Selenium– you might not want the other minerals in that pound of rock. It also makes a lot more sense, economically and ecologically, to ship a few pounds of a purified substance across the country than a ton of raw material.

I suspect also that Rodale might have been intimidated by the science, the chemistry, like many others are. He was a journalist, after all, not a scientist. But for whatever reason, he split from the Malabar Farm group and from there on it was pretty much manure and compost for him. This had unfortunate consequences because Rodale went on to have a vast influence on sustainable agriculture, but soil chemistry, other than a misunderstanding of the role of pH, has been almost totally neglected by organic gardeners and farmers. Today, if you send in a soil sample to a State Ag College or one of the big commercial soil testing labs, chemical fertilizers are what they will recommend, and generally the cheapest, harshest, and most harmful ones to soil and plant health, like muriate of potash or urea nitrogen. Up ‘til now there hasn’t been the interest and input from organic growers that would encourage the testing labs to recommend nutrients from natural sources.

Q. But this is only a problem with the recommendations, right, not the laboratory analysis?

Agricola: The soil testing labs generally do a good job of analysis. If you send a soil sample to ten different laboratories it’s unlikely that any of them will send back identical results, but they will likely be close. There are variations in equipment and technique. But at least if you have a soil test you have a place to start, and if you send your next soil test to the same lab you can get an idea of what progress you are making. A serious grower needs to find a lab they trust, one they can contact by phone or e-mail and have their questions answered. Hopefully, find one that understands the philosophies of William Albrecht and Carey Reams. Interpreting a soil test, once you have one, isn’t all that difficult, you just need tenth grade chemistry and fifth grade arithmetic. As long as you have an idea of where you are now and where you want to get to it’s not too hard. Up until now, though, few have had a clear idea where they want to get to, which is the reason I’ve spent the last number of years putting together my “best guess” chart. [See The Ideal Soil Agricola’s Best Guess ed.] I’ve based it mostly on the work of Albrecht and Reams, along with every clue I can come up with from everybody else plus my own experience. If you follow the recommendations on the chart you won’t get into much trouble. I’ve been careful. And I’m hoping for a lot of feedback from the gardeners out there. This soil minerals thing works, and people tend to get excited about things that really work.

Many Organic gardeners and farmers won’t be willing to put in the time and effort it takes to really understand the chemistry, but if they catch the vision that I’m talking about here they’re going to want to know what to do with the information on their soil test. Some of the testing laboratories that advertise in AcresUSA, which is a magazine that anyone serious about sustainable agriculture should be reading, are associated with Eco-Agriculture consulting firms. I don’t know how much they charge for consultations, but, agriculture not being a get rich quick scheme, I’m sure they’re reasonable. Ask around in your own area, too. The consultants out there so far, though, are more used to working with larger growers and farmers. We’re going to have to develop some sort of grass roots organization to work with small scale and backyard gardeners.

[Editors Note: and there you have the inspiration for SoilMinerals.com]

Most important, though, is that you get a soil test. A pretty complete soil test including exchange capacity and availability of a dozen or so major and minor elements only costs $20 to $30 dollars. Then you will at least have a place to start.

Q: But you don’t see each and every organic gardener learning about soil chemistry?

Agricola: Only enough to realize its importance. The commercial growers especially. Even if one is only growing a few tomatoes and carrots for summer salads this knowledge would still guarantee the best flavor and nutrition. But I realize that many gardeners just aren’t going to want to learn the chemistry and do the math, any more than they are going to learn plumbing or electrical work or structural engineering. They just need to understand how the system is supposed to work, so that when there is a problem, like poor flavor or insect attack or rotting in storage they realize that it is probably a mineral problem. In times past most communities had a physician, and maybe what we will end up with is a trained “soil physician” in each community. (laughs) We will need a lot less experts in the field of medicine once we get the food right!

One of the attractive things about Organic gardening and farming has been its simplicity–just add more compost. Unfortunately, unless you happen to be lucky enough to have perfectly mineralized soil, more compost or organic matter is not going to give you more nutrition. Let me give you an example of how out of wack things can get. Let’s look at the Puget Sound region of the Northwest US. A few miles South of the bottom end of the Sound is as far as the glaciers went during the last ice age, and most of the soil around there is a stony glacial till left behind when the ice receded. It’s mostly formed from broken down granite and basalt, usually high in Potassium, low in Phosphorus, and any Calcium it might once have had has been leached out by sixty to two hundred and fifty inches of rain per year. You will recall that Albrecht recommended equal amounts of phosphate and potash, and Reams said twice as much Phosphorus as Potassium, four times as much for grasses and legumes. So there in the Northwest, dumping more high Potassium compost on the soil is only going to make things worse, nutritionally. Nonetheless, that is exactly what the Organic books recommend. One size fits all really doesn't work too well in gardening.

Phosphate has been described as the major catalyst in all living systems. It is essential for metabolism and photosynthesis, and is, as I mentioned earlier, needed for the synthesis of sugars and the replication of DNA. If you wonder why the organically grown fruit you buy isn’t sweet, it’s because the Phosphorus/ Potassium ratio is out of balance, the Calcium/Magnesium ratio probably is too, and more organic matter is not going to fix the problem. Another thing that happens when Potassium levels get too high is that the Potassium tries to substitute for Calcium, and though it can latch on to and take some nutrients into the cell it can’t get back out again because it’s too big, so we end up with cell interiors loaded with Potassium and a deficiency of Calcium and Phosphorus. Excess Potassium can also become fixed to the exchange sites on the clay, aging the clay and messing up its EC and expandability. Not good.

O

ookiimata

Wowza. Absolutely fascinating. I'll be re-reading that many times and tracking down every reference mentioned in it. Honestly, it's beyond my knowledge to make any kind of real input into what you've posted, but I'm soaking it up like a sponge and really appreciate the sharing. I've seen some organic growers replacing lime with other calcium sources and never knew why. This is shedding some light on it.

Thanks man.

justiceman

justiceman

I'll definitely be re-reading that. Excellent information dex! I really thought it was interesting about how Rhododendrons prefer high magnesium soils with low PH, yet in Scotland they increased magnesium levels while raising PH from 5 to 8. It showed the Rhododendrons truly required the high levels of available magnesium and not necessarily a specific PH. That's so damn interesting!

Ah Organics the complexity that you are. It's interesting to note that microbes generally play a huge role in PH of soil as well. The ratio of Fungi/bacteria influences Ph as such. Fungi release acids witch dissolve minerals where as bacteria release alkaline slimes witch bind soil particles. The balance or ratio of the two types(Acid/Alkaline) helps to determine the PH.

What I find interesting about this thread is it's got thinking that the ratio of minerals is more important than I previously thought.

So theoretically If soil has the right mineral balance it then provides perfect conditions for the correct balance of Fungi/Bacteria and hence a very stable PH witch in turn should lead to OPTIMUM plant growth.

So the key is BALANCE. I look forward to more information.

dextr0

dextr0

The Cation-Anion Connection

Yea I know this is kinda hard to put together, heres one more that really helped put it all together.

"Here is the optimum percentage base saturation of cations generally for most soils. The cation calcium should be 60 to 70 percent of the saturation of the soil. In other words, 60 percent of the minerals attached to the colloids should be calcium— on a light, sandy soil. On a heavy clay soil, 70 percent would be optimum. The correct number for magnesium should be between 10 and 20 percent. On a heavy clay soil, it would be better at 10 percent. The ideal is for calcium and magnesium to total 80 percent. In a high clay soil, 70 + 10 = 80, and in a light sand,
60 + 20 = 80. Very light sands below 4.0 TEC have to have even more magnesium in order to spoon-feed the plant. Heavy clays do not need that higher magnesium percentage. In fact, it is a detriment."

^^Edit: lil from the article. Look at the cal/mag percentages again.

marski420

marski420

"We will need a lot less experts in the field of medicine once we get the food right!"

This person is in the circle of knowledge people.. I'll let you guys in on something I have been thinking about for a while now.

Cancer and disease-- they say they dont know how it forms but there have been hints all along.. It's aparent in plants and its aparent in humans too.

Improper nutrient inbalances cause us to become ill, as with plants.
Any grower here will get the plant part but what about the human part?

If you dare to remember back to elementary school, what did you're teacher tell you wiped out many of Christopher Columbus's sailors + many people of this era? The disease known as scurvy. What caused this disease that killed many people? A lack of Vitamin C.

Take a minute or two and think hard.. Could cancer and all other disease we face just be some sort of nutrient deficiency?

Sorry if this was abit off topic Dex but I had to share my deep thoughts!

Top Bottom