Do you protect your outdoor plants against rain?

• Thread starter mashy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

That sounds like a nice easy effective system cheap too. Great idea
If the weather is good I like to leave em in the sun but if it's gonna rain covering them is the way to go.

A good easy cover design is to drive 4 pieces of rebar into the ground in a square around your plant leaving half a foot or more exposed, put one end of a piece of pvc over one rebar and bend it over to the other side with the end on the other rebar. Do the same on the other side of your plant. Put another piece of pvc across the middle to make a rib for support, cover with plastic, and secure your plastic to the frame. Leave the ends open and roll the plastic up about a foot off the ground to help ventilate.

Since the hoop house frame isn't anchored directly to the rebar you can take the whole thing off if weather gets better. If your plants are huge you can also use two pieces and join them together with a tee.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

I use 62ā€ clear golf umbrellas. Doesnā€™t cover the whole plant, but quick and easy to deal with. Cheap on Amazon.

Jam an 8 foot length of 1ā€ pvc next to plant, cut plastic handle off umbrella with hacksaw. Slide metal rod of umbrella into open end of pvc.

Saves me from stressing out over those October rain storms.

chinacat420

chinacat420

If the weather is good I like to leave em in the sun but if it's gonna rain covering them is the way to go.

A good easy cover design is to drive 4 pieces of rebar into the ground in a square around your plant leaving half a foot or more exposed, put one end of a piece of pvc over one rebar and bend it over to the other side with the end on the other rebar. Do the same on the other side of your plant. Put another piece of pvc across the middle to make a rib for support, cover with plastic, and secure your plastic to the frame. Leave the ends open and roll the plastic up about a foot off the ground to help ventilate.

Since the hoop house frame isn't anchored directly to the rebar you can take the whole thing off if weather gets better. If your plants are huge you can also use two pieces and join them together with a tee.
Thank you for posting this, itā€™s exactly the info Iā€™m looking for!!! I found bud rot in two buds yā€™day in my only outdoor plant (White Widow). She was doing so well, too! However, I think I caught it early. It rained again last night so now I have a fan blowing on her. Iā€™ll be heading to the home improvement store later today!

chinacat420

chinacat420

I use 62ā€ clear golf umbrellas. Doesnā€™t cover the whole plant, but quick and easy to deal with. Cheap on Amazon.

Jam an 8 foot length of 1ā€ pvc next to plant, cut plastic handle off umbrella with hacksaw. Slide metal rod of umbrella into open end of pvc.

Saves me from stressing out over those October rain storms.
Another great suggestion! I only have one outdoor plant so this sounds quick and easy. Thank you for posting it!

Spotsy

Spotsy

Hi all,
My outdoor plants are just starting flowering and I have been trying to work out whether to cover them from rain. From my reading, it seems like there is a range of views. Was wondering what growers here think. Do you protect your plants from heavy rains during flower? Do you protect from all rain? Does the local temperature make a big difference? What happens to the buds if you don't cover them (mould, reduced potency)? Am I wasting my time even thinking this is an issue? All opinions welcome, any advice and reasons would be appreciated.
I do not protect them from rain at all.. just when u get close to harvest I check em carefully every day for mold.. have had mold probs every year.. but I cut out the bad leaves , buds and spray with pure crop 1 and hydrogen peroxide. I also wash all my buds when I chop them.. 4 bucket method.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

Thanks @Chester13. I'm in southern Australia, frost won't be a problem until after harvest, but we are having a pretty wet summer. Plants have been trained low and wide as per pics. I do have the ability to set up a temp cover to protect them from the worst of the rain so I think I'll try that so this season. Can't move them undercover because they are too big šŸ˜. The only place they would fit is the carport, and whilst it would make for good viewing for the neighbours I doubt they would last long.
View attachment 1090447
I like what you did with that scrog technique.
It would be ideal to keep as much water off of the plants and out of the dirt.
If you look at the pots by grass roots.
They are square and have pvc structure, wich can be easily converted to accommodate screening and a top. Just by changing some fittings and applying reducers for the top.
Unless you want to spend the extra $ for the bigger dimension all the way around.
Here's a couple pics of what I did with pallets, landscape fencing, and netting.
Something like this mite help you continue ur training!
20220822 120807
20220822 120635
20220805 153409
20220805 153255
20220726 140811
20220726 140831

I hope this may hlp, & Best of luck!
Nxt year I'll be doing knock off brands of the grass roots pots with examples of what I'm referring to.

SmokinJo421

SmokinJo421

I do not protect them from rain at all.. just when u get close to harvest I check em carefully every day for mold.. have had mold probs every year.. but I cut out the bad leaves , buds and spray with pure crop 1 and hydrogen peroxide. I also wash all my buds when I chop them.. 4 bucket method.
Definitely the best and easiest that I have found too. I use 10% milk spray to keep PM at bay, but I can NEVER eliminate it from my zuchs. I even grow them vertically up a stake to keep them off the ground. Will post a photo on the general gardening thread šŸ‘
You want to start using silica "gold label" preferably and about ur pm & any possible bug issues....look at YouTube The channel is Liquidirt llc
Titled: kill spidermites and aphids dead

Latest posts

Top Bottom