Do you put hydroton or perlite on the top of your pot?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

I am new to growing. I am looking at the 32x32 tent with auto plants in coco coir in 3 gallon fabric pots in the autopot system on there.

I have read that some people do put hydroton or perlite on top of the pot. Is that to try to help prevent gnats? Would there be any more benefits to doing that instead of leaving the coco coir to the top of the pot? I would rather use hydroton on the top of the plant than perlite but I want the best protection to try keep pests out of the tent. Which is better on there?

Last edited:
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I add my own pearlite to my mix, FFOF, when it's all mixed up you will have pearlite on top, you do this to airate your soil and add nitro to your mix, if you get those little gnats or fruit flys i use de earth to kill them off.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. I have read that people put a layer of hydroton or perlite on the top of the pot to prevent gnats on there. I would like to find out if there are more benefits to it and if hydroton works as good as perlite on the top of the pot for that on there.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Some people put a layer of hydroton on the bottom, they claim it helps with drainage; some put a layer of DE on top, they claim it helps with gnats, good luck!

the123321

the123321

Thanks. If I am using the autopot with the bottom feeding then is there any downside to putting de on the top of the pot even if you do not have pests as a preventative before you have pest problems in the tent? I read that if you water from the top the de gets messy but if you are bottom feeding that would not be a problem right? Is there any reason not to put de on the top of your pot for every grow to prevent pests in the tent on there?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks. If I am using the autopot with the bottom feeding then is there any downside to putting de on the top of the pot even if you do not have pests as a preventative before you have pest problems in the tent? I read that if you water from the top the de gets messy but if you are bottom feeding that would not be a problem right? Is there any reason not to put de on the top of your pot for every grow to prevent pests in the tent on there?
I didn't notice you had the auto pots, my bad! I would wait, somebody with experience with them can answer you better than I could, good luck

02trueblue

02trueblue

It does get a little messy the first few waterings - just because the DE is a fluffy powder. But, work it into the top couple inches of your medium. And after a few waterings, the DE will settle down. It turns almost to a clay after a while. It's not that messy at all really. You just have to water slowly/evenly at first

BloodShot

BloodShot

I've used de in the past on top of promix and in the end after watering it all caked together and became wet and caused drainage problems with continued use.
I always thought you needed de to stay dry to be effective when fighting pests and best to have the top of pots dry also, using hydroton may help keep it drier and some de on top of that or a paper cut out may help but I never noticed it stopping any fungus gnats and I had lb's to throw in there which always became wet.
I like to sprinkle de under my rads and in corners and around the perimeter of house and basement to fight earwigs, ants, spiders etc.
May increase Silica and help you bend those branches etc.
With the autopots being constantly watered from bottom and moist "in mine" to the top constantly the DE would be wet as well.
I would think yellow sticky traps would be good on top of coco and in the air.
Keeping lots of air moving down under canopy and around pots would help deter fliers also.

Last edited:
the123321

the123321

Thanks. I think I may try a layer of perlite on top of the pot. I prefer how hydroton looks but It looks like from what I have read that the perlite is better to try on there to try to prevent gnats on it.

bearygood123

bearygood123

I am new to growing. I am looking at the 32x32 tent with auto plants in coco coir in 3 gallon fabric pots in the autopot system on there.

I have read that some people do put hydroton or perlite on top of the pot. Is that to try to help prevent gnats? Would there be any more benefits to doing that instead of leaving the coco coir to the top of the pot? I would rather use hydroton on the top of the plant than perlite but I want the best protection to try keep pests out of the tent. Which is better on there?
Yes, to prevent fungus gnats, add perlite to the top of your soil( dont confuse with MIXING perlite in soil- that has its own purpose), in an even layer covering all the topsoil. The purpose of adding it ABOVE the soil, is basically only to help prevent pests from landing on the soil and nesting in. Perlite is a very sharp, glassy rock to insects- like razor wire is to humans. Gnats will try to find other soil to burrough their eggs in than dig thru perlite. (medium-course grade or smaller is what I use on top) JSYK Fungus gnats land on the surface of soil to lay their eggs which in turn allows larvae to thrive below the soil, creating a problem for root health. Perlite on top is like a layer of razor wire between the soil surface and where they land.

Top Bottom