do you turn the lights off when you veg?... And if so, how long?

• Thread starter ken dog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Honestly, the information in the article doesn't settle any dispute but does provide an understanding of potential light cycles for use, depending on strains.

Some you want stretch veg growth but I would never dare cut light cycles to sour d. It's already a raging fickle monster.

J

john007n

i do 24/7 for first 2 -3 weeks then go 18/7 then do 24 hours dark before going into 12/12

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Without a dark period you wouldn't be smoking herb. It's necessary. Plants benefit from a dark period. Call it sleep or whatever terminology you would like.

Beastgrow

Beastgrow

Farmers and other astute observers of nature have long known that crops like corn and sorghum grow taller at night. But the biochemical mechanisms that control this nightly stem elongation, common to most plants, have been something of a mystery to biologists -- until now.

You do not want stem elongation.... or maybe you do.. I don't though.

Beastgrow

Beastgrow

Without a dark period you wouldn't be smoking herb. It's necessary. Plants benefit from a dark period. Call it sleep or whatever terminology you would like.

This subject is about veg lighting and about whether a resting period is needed for veg period.

Myco

Myco

Or, we can accept the science that's already been done. Just a thought. :)
I'm right there with you in that one - but....

The canna-community accepting real science? Oh boy. I guess many will just have to keep wasting 4-6 hours worth of power-consuming HIDs...

To each his/her own until then...

N

Ne Obliviscaris

Well, Ne, you tried.

Hahaha, Indeed. I'm going to give it one more shot, and then I'm going to leave it alone. I was hoping by posting that link that we could avoid the back and forth here and try and move beyond it to discussing what factors people think affect preferences for different photcycles in veg... obviously I was wrong. But here goes one more shot.

1) As people should be able to see from the actual science that's been done on the subject (see the links in my original post and in Seamaiden's quote/links) many plants, including herb, prefer a dark period in *ideal* experimental growing environments.

2) Very rarely are grows done in *ideal* environments. This doesn't mean that the grower is fucking up, but many of us have constraints on our grows and there are thousands of variables that affect a grow, many of which differently affect different strains.

So.... although the general rule is (1) plants like a dark period during veg, there are many situations where (2) your particular plants may do better with 24/7 lighting.

What we, as a community, really should be trying to figure out is what specific factors in our individual grows determine our plant preferences during light cycle. Do heat and humidity contriubute to preference?--almost certainly. Do we know how?--not that I;m aware of. Do differences in available nutes matter?--probably. Do we know how?--again, nope.

Instead of making this an 'I grow the dankest buds and have huge yields and use method X, so method X is the best' discusssion, how about we try and figure out WHY method X works best with your grow, and why method Y works better with some other cats grow.

You know, learn something.

ken dog

ken dog

I recently put a 13 watt LED light above my EZ cloner... 16 site.

I have roots within a week and a half, and yet, 2 of my Indicas are starting to flower. :-0

simply not enough light... and they were left on 24 /7

yes, I put a larger 110 watt LED blue UFO above it, so I should be able to snap them back into veg.

in my opinion, this supports a lot of the scientific information that has been posted on this thread, regarding light intensity and duration for the day.

M

moodster

marijuana does not need to "sleep" as its a c3 plant LOL if you cant afford to light the veg room 24/7 you should not be growing IMO

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

marijuana does not need to "sleep" as its a c3 plant LOL if you cant afford to light the veg room 24/7 you should not be growing IMO

Exactly why I don't think its always such a great idea to compare other crops to MJ as many seem to do lol. Good info moodster. MGG

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Honestly, what is really so unique about cannabis that it can't be treated like any other crop? Did it evolve in a vacuum, related to nothing else on this earth? The only thing(s) unique to cannabis are cannabinoids, and even those are not entirely unique, many are found in other plants as well.
I truthfully and honestly detest this sort of attitude. It is elitist at best. I'm not going to touch the veracity of the link you've provided, I'll leave it to others.
Honestly, the information in the article doesn't settle any dispute but does provide an understanding of potential light cycles for use, depending on strains.

Some you want stretch veg growth but I would never dare cut light cycles to sour d. It's already a raging fickle monster.

For me it settled the idea of whether or not to give the plants an extended dark period before flipping. And my answer is not to if I want them to keep chugging along.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

Honestly, what is really so unique about cannabis that it can't be treated like any other crop? Did it evolve in a vacuum, related to nothing else on this earth? The only thing(s) unique to cannabis are cannabinoids, and even those are not entirely unique, many are found in other plants as well.
I truthfully and honestly detest this sort of attitude. It is elitist at best. I'm not going to touch the veracity of the link you've provided, I'll leave it to others.
If you read the link moodster provided you would see that there is a difference between cannabis and other crops, a difference very important to the discussion at hand. MGG

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I did read it, it was painfully short. Painfully.

Ed Rosenthal said:
Do plants need a dark period during the vegetative cycle?
By Ed Rosenthal - Friday, October 24 2003
FOLLOW:
  • ASK ED GROW TIPS
  • GROWING
  • LIGHTS
3127-AskEd_44.jpg
Does marijuana require a dark period during the vegetative growth stage? I recently read a grow book that advocated an 18-6 light cycle during the early growth stages.
PSD 420,
Internet

One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light.Do plants need a dark period during the vegetative cycle?
By Ed Rosenthal - Friday, October 24 2003
FOLLOW: ASK ED GROW TIPS GROWING LIGHTS
Does marijuana require a dark period during the vegetative growth stage? I recently read a grow book that advocated an 18-6 light cycle during the early growth stages.
PSD 420,
Internet
One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light.
The plant's photosynthetic rate determines its growth rate because the sugars are used by the plant to build tissue and for energy. Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime.
The plant's photosynthetic rate determines its growth rate because the sugars are used by the plant to build tissue and for energy. Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime.

Veracity, anyone...?

M

moodster

heres a bit longer article for you @seamadien I hope it is not PAINFULLY long for you LOL

J

Jalisco Kid

Quoting Ed does not help your case much.
C-3 do not need darkness to live, a lot of 24/7 growers out there can attest to it. Just like plants well be nice and green at 2600 ppm conv .5 ,dark green. Because things do not die on you does not mean you are doing well. If someone here really wants to learn about it google krebs or calvin cycle. Look at university sites not places like this. Also root growth studies,aminos and N, sap transport. These do better with 8 hours of darkness. Do not get locked into the dark reactions in the studies, they do not mean dark cycles.
To post #49 here,if you did not stress your plants so much you would not have a brown rotten stripe going down your buds as you say. I run 65%rh at 78* with not brown rot,I did get grew mold on my Ms Walker hurt a lot. That was my fault not the rh's.
24/7 I "believe" hurts the plants immune system. People I have seen with 24/7 also use products like floromite,eagle20, bayer tree and shrub.
A cheap easy read text book "Plant Physiology" by Taiz could help you understand plants better. I started at the roots and when I understood somewhat what was going on there,I went to transport etc. once I could look at my girls and had a basic understanding what was going on where,I grew better. I didn't care to memorize all the chem reactions just knowing they were going on.
Also now studies showing plants keep working for a while(not photosynthesis) in darkness. Green houses are getting same growth while randomly cutting back in 20% of the lights.
I have never seen a study where you had larger harvest of anything (other then some bacterias's) with 24/7 lighting.
JK

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

To post #49 here,if you did not stress your plants so much you would not have a brown rotten stripe going down your buds as you say. I run 65%rh at 78* with not brown rot,I did get grew mold on my Ms Walker hurt a lot. That was my fault not the rh's.

24/7 I "believe" hurts the plants immune system. People I have seen with 24/7 also use products like floromite,eagle20, bayer tree and shrub.

JK
LOL, glad you were in my garden and are telling me after the fact about my plants being stressed. You make assumptions as to why or how the bud rot was brought on in my situation. I can tell you that since dialing my RH back to what Ive always run (around 40-50% in flower) I haven't had this issue and thast the only thing in the environment that's changed. That tells me that , yes it was the high RH that caused it, but thanks for your input.

As to the second line in the quote. I "believe" is exactly right. Just as I believe, and have seen with my own eyes in my own grow, that 24/7 is best for me. And for the "people Ive seen" comment, well I'm not sure who you've seen but ya sure would never catch me using any of that shit you mentioned. I'm not even sure what that was supposed to mean or why it was mentioned but it surely doesn't apply to myself and the other folks I know that run their veg lights 24/7. WTF? MGG

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

"Because things do not die on you does not mean you are doing well. If someone here really wants to learn about it google krebs or calvin cycle. Look at university sites not places like this. Also root growth studies,aminos and N, sap transport. These do better with 8 hours of darkness."

Very good point here JK.

Top Bottom