Do You Use One Light To Do A Complete Grow?

ViparSpectra

Supporter
ViparSpectra LED grow lights are providing optimal full spectrum to work for the entire grow cycle, but we still notice some growers would use one light for the vegetation phase, and another light for the flowering phase. Then...do you use one light to do a complete grow or not? Welcome to comments and let us know. Thank you.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

I switched from HPS to LED a little while back.

with my last grow i did 3 weeks of veg and first two weeks of flowering with the HPS i switched to LED third flowering weeks. I did not notice any difference with the remaining flowering stretch and i find my flowers are more compact with the flowering under LED than with the HPS.

With my fresh new grow i started with the LED and i find the plant are way too short, bushy and compact. i do much prefer the plant structure in veg with the HPS than with the LED.

Will see in the end results with this grow but at this point i think i m gonna switch back to HPS for veg and switch to LED when most of the flowering stretch is done.

Trixie

Trixie

I use a light combo with two 130-watt LEDs mixed with 400 HPS for the red ban, and a four-foot, 4-blub fluorescent side light for a blue ban to mix the spectrum. Total about 600 watts. This combo gives my plants 75% more smell and very sticky tops. These girls will be ready in 7 days.
IMG 4115

IMG 4114

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
ViparSpectra LED grow lights are providing optimal full spectrum to work for the entire grow cycle, but we still notice some growers would use one light for the vegetation phase, and another light for the flowering phase. Then...do you use one light to do a complete grow or not? Welcome to comments and let us know. Thank you.
I use t5 lights for veg and both hps & leds to flower under. I like the heat from the t5 lights in veg & with led lights there's not enough heat in my flower room without the hps running. Living up north here we get 9 months of cold weather requiring heat above what led's alone put out....so its either add a heater or use lights that give off heat

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I suppose that's a question for growers who are more experienced than I am. I'm on my second grow using lights and all I have ever used (so far) are XS2000 LED lights. I have two of them in a 2x4 tent, which probably is more light than I need. I'm using two with the theory that they would provide better dispersion of the light. The plants are in early vegetation and the lights are set at about 50%. I have a power meter on each light and each of the 240 watt lights is using 135 watts.

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I switched from HPS to LED a little while back.

with my last grow i did 3 weeks of veg and first two weeks of flowering with the HPS i switched to LED third flowering weeks. I did not notice any difference with the remaining flowering stretch and i find my flowers are more compact with the flowering under LED than with the HPS.

With my fresh new grow i started with the LED and i find the plant are way too short, bushy and compact. i do much prefer the plant structure in veg with the HPS than with the LED.

Will see in the end results with this grow but at this point i think i m gonna switch back to HPS for veg and switch to LED when most of the flowering stretch is done.
Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you found the configuration and method to make the plants grow well. It seems the HPS plays an important part in VEG.

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I use a light combo with two 130-watt LEDs mixed with 400 HPS for the red ban, and a four-foot, 4-blub fluorescent side light for a blue ban to mix the spectrum. Total about 600 watts. This combo gives my plants 75% more smell and very sticky tops. These girls will be ready in 7 days.
View attachment 1311054
View attachment 1311053
Absolutely gorgeous under the settings. I wish I could smell it and touch it and taste it 😂

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I suppose that's a question for growers who are more experienced than I am. I'm on my second grow using lights and all I have ever used (so far) are XS2000 LED lights. I have two of them in a 2x4 tent, which probably is more light than I need. I'm using two with the theory that they would provide better dispersion of the light. The plants are in early vegetation and the lights are set at about 50%. I have a power meter on each light and each of the 240 watt lights is using 135 watts.
The XS2000 is suitable for 4’x2’ tent. If you put 2 in a 4x2 grow tent, please observe the plant's reaction and adjust the brightness, height, and other factors timely. Enjoy growing~

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you found the configuration and method to make the plants grow well. It seems the HPS plays an important part in VEG.
i did some search to try to understand why there's so much difference in stretch in vegetation between LED and HPS and it seem that the main factor is the total lack of blue spectrum for the HPS that make thinner trunk and stems and induce more stretch.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I have two tents with different lights. One tent gets used exclusively for bloom at 600W or less. The other tent gets used for veg and bloom at 400W or less.

If I only had one tent, I would only have one light.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

i did some search to try to understand why there's so much difference in stretch in vegetation between LED and HPS and it seem that the main factor is the total lack of blue spectrum for the HPS that make thinner trunk and stems and induce more stretch.
Many buy veg led seperate for that reason if you want bushier plants but that depends genetics much too. 🙂

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

View attachment 1311054
View attachment 1311053

Great Job!!! I like your methodology.

I run two 275 watt lights in a 5 x 5. I like having a backup in case one of the lights goes out. LED the whole way through. I'm looking into upgrading my lighting with a bar style light that can cover the entire 5 x 5 footprint as evenly as possible. I've read that the bar lights also help reduce hot spots vs COB style boards.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

I use (4) 60 watt LED fixtures for veg. I only use the white & blue colors and leave the red LEDs turned off.

For flowering its a 1000W HPS. I've considered adding my LEDs to the HPS but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I have two tents with different lights. One tent gets used exclusively for bloom at 600W or less. The other tent gets used for veg and bloom at 400W or less.

If I only had one tent, I would only have one light.
When you use only one tent, a full spectrum light will be a good choice~ 😊

ViparSpectra

Supporter
Great Job!!! I like your methodology.

I run two 275 watt lights in a 5 x 5. I like having a backup in case one of the lights goes out. LED the whole way through. I'm looking into upgrading my lighting with a bar style light that can cover the entire 5 x 5 footprint as evenly as possible. I've read that the bar lights also help reduce hot spots vs COB style boards.
The bar light, KS5000 will be a great choice. Larger frame on the KS5000 helps spread more light out to the edges and corners.😊

If you are interested, click:https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-KS5000-Coverage-Spectrum-Commercial/dp/B09MTSY9G2/

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I use (4) 60 watt LED fixtures for veg. I only use the white & blue colors and leave the red LEDs turned off.

For flowering its a 1000W HPS. I've considered adding my LEDs to the HPS but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
😄Our full spectrum LED lights may be able to help you~

SSgrower

SSgrower

I use a Viparspectra 4x4x 6' tent in my grow room and the KS3000 is on my radar for my 3x3' Green Hut tent. Currently using 2 SF1000 in the 3x3x6'. SS

Latest posts

Top Bottom