Does A Carbon Scrubber Have It's Own Smell?

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Does your carbon scrubber have a distinct smell?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I notice something here and there, but not often

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never smelled anything coming from my scrubber

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Idk, I can't smell anymore... the 70s were crazy and Cocaine is a helluva drug! Rick James Biotch!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Howdy Doody Rowdy Booties!
I'm moving into my new place, and last night I decided to do a little test with my scrubber for gits and shiggles. Earlier that day, I smoked half a joint, and as I went about my day, everytime I walked into the room I smoked in, it reeked like a burnt joint... No surprise there, It had a decent strength to the smell but it was better than the cat smell left by the previous owner. anyway, back to the experiment. a month or so ago, I bought a new Durabreeze 4"x16" Carbon Filter for the next round since I knew we'd be moving, but I never really used it other than checking the fit of the Can fan and seeing how much resistance the filter added to the fan.

after the room had mostly cleared of the joint smell, I went back in the room, shut the door, and smoked another half a joint... This time, after I was done I turned on my Carbon scrubber and walked out, shutting the door behind me. awhile later, I walked back into the room and although I didn't smell the joint, there was a pretty strong smell that I haven't smelled before, I guess the closest thing I can think of to compare it to is when people run those Ozone generators, but it was quite a bit stronger and not exactly the same smell.

So has anyone ever known a new carbon filter to have any sort of smell to them? I have been reading articles, surfing forums, watching videos, listening to interviews and podcasts for years, and I did a metric shit ton of research when looking to buy the filter, but I never heard of this. I'm not a big fan of the smell the filter made either, but if it's what it takes to keep my shit running smoothly, I'm sure I'll get used to it!
any help is appreciated, as always!
Growers Love,
~Saint

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

You smelled clean scrubbed air. Not the norm in every day life with all the pollutants in the air.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

You smelled clean scrubbed air. Not the norm in every day life with all the pollutants in the air.
I'm not sure about that, I guess it could be... I guess I'm used to thinking of "clean air" as what it was like living in the middle of nowhere. But I wasn't thinking about all the Terpenes from the Pine Trees, and all the other plants for that matter. I don't understand why clean air would make my senses tell me that I don't like that smell. It was pretty noticeable, After I turned off the filter and opened my door (which is at the end of a hallway) I could smell that same smell as I got halfway down the hall to my room.

I can't say I know for sure it wasn't just clean air, but I feel like clean air would just smell like nothing... Unless the pollutants cover up the other smells to an extent that when the pollutants are gone, my nose is overwhelmed with the smell of the elements that clean air consists of. Kinda like a soup or something with raw onions. You may barely notice the smell in the finished dish, but you know it when you'r cuttin up those onions! lol I know it's not the same, but close enough for my coffee depleted self... Time for a refill!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Ever smelt what an ozone generator does? We used to use those in cars of previous smokers to box the ciggy shitty smell. Smells like weird metal of sorts.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Ever smelt what an ozone generator does? We used to use those in cars of previous smokers to box the ciggy shitty smell. Smells like weird metal of sorts.
Yup, I spent many a years falling asleep to that Ozone smell and the whisper of the motor. I used to run one in my room in the basement as a teen. I know that smell very well lol Every time I smell an Ozone Generator I go Back to playing pool in the basement listening to records older than I was. At first I wondered if it was just ozone, since it smelled similar, but stronger and a bit different. Ozone may be part of the smell, but not all of it. Is an Ozone smell usual with carbon filters?

xenon730

xenon730

that is exactly how i would describe "clean" air also. I, too, believe you're simply describing the smell of scrubbed air. It's definitely not a scent or detectable outside of being in a scrubbed area.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm not sure about that, I guess it could be... I guess I'm used to thinking of "clean air" as what it was like living in the middle of nowhere. But I wasn't thinking about all the Terpenes from the Pine Trees, and all the other plants for that matter. I don't understand why clean air would make my senses tell me that I don't like that smell. It was pretty noticeable, After I turned off the filter and opened my door (which is at the end of a hallway) I could smell that same smell as I got halfway down the hall to my room.

I can't say I know for sure it wasn't just clean air, but I feel like clean air would just smell like nothing... Unless the pollutants cover up the other smells to an extent that when the pollutants are gone, my nose is overwhelmed with the smell of the elements that clean air consists of. Kinda like a soup or something with raw onions. You may barely notice the smell in the finished dish, but you know it when you'r cuttin up those onions! lol I know it's not the same, but close enough for my coffee depleted self... Time for a refill!

I always thought the carbon filtered exhaust smelled like vinegar. Seems to dissipate quickly though.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

I'm gonna run it again for awhile today to see if I get the same smell, maybe I just had a random minor psychosis episode

B

Burned Haze

Since ozone was discussed ;)

Ozone is the exact same smell of after lightning strikes/storm... Fresh :) . Hosipitals use them and so do any decontamination crews cause ozone kill everything in the air and contact ( you can't clean 24/7 )

Non growing room benefits:In a weekly cycle I use my ozone gen to keep my car,basement,upstairs keeping smelling fresh for 3-7 days for something that only rubs for 1-4 hours with a carbon filter to make the air love around ( ozone drops) All you need is extension cord ,timer ( just remember no matter how long or how many ppm in the air , it takes 30 minutes from when the ozone off to be safe and you can smell ozone on the strength , like propane )

Before flower stage , you can run ozone 24/7 , in veg( or as much as much, I run 4-8 hrs, just no dehumidifies at same time. cause ozone can literally eat the bands)

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PharmHand

My can filters don't have much of a smell but I have a couple phat filter charcoals that definitely have a smell, kinda sweet maybe vinegar ish more so if the air is humid. I like the smell haha.

Top Bottom