Does A Day/night Fan Speed Controller Exist? Not Temp Controlled

• Thread starter Perception
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perception

Perception

I want to lower my fan speed at night, without totally turning it off. I was wondering if there is a controller out-of-the-box that will handle this? I don't want to manage it based off of temperature - I know there are temp controllers for this. I want to manage it based off of time or light.

I thought that there might be a device already made for this, or that I could come up with a clever plan to have a full power circuit and a regulated circuit (with speed controller). Full power when lights are on, regulated power when lights off. Just need a way to automatically swap circuits based on time or light.

I am OK with getting in to Arduino and what not, but would prefer a more simple analogue system if I can.

Perception

Perception

Easy, two timers, two fans. Have one fan on a controller set at lower speed, the other fan plugged into your light timer on full blast. Have the one timer set to come on when lights go out.
https://hydrobuilder.com/apollo-14-8-outlet-power-strip-with-timer.html?dzid=strands_734150

I have two fans at home. My current exhaust fan is 6", 400cfm. I have a 4" 180cfm fan laying around, but I'm really trying to avoid running two fans.

I want to prevent clutter & extra ducting. I was just hoping that there was a clever, single-fan way to approach this. I'll run dual fans if needed, but would prefer single fan.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I have two fans at home. My current exhaust fan is 6", 400cfm. I have a 4" 180cfm fan laying around, but I'm really trying to avoid running two fans.

I want to prevent clutter & extra ducting. I was just hoping that there was a clever, single-fan way to approach this. I'll run dual fans if needed, but would prefer single fan.
Found it!
Cheers

P

PharmHand

I want to lower my fan speed at night, without totally turning it off. I was wondering if there is a controller out-of-the-box that will handle this? I don't want to manage it based off of temperature - I know there are temp controllers for this. I want to manage it based off of time or light.

I thought that there might be a device already made for this, or that I could come up with a clever plan to have a full power circuit and a regulated circuit (with speed controller). Full power when lights are on, regulated power when lights off. Just need a way to automatically swap circuits based on time or light.

I am OK with getting in to Arduino and what not, but would prefer a more simple analogue system if I can.
You could do but it might be a little tricky if you aren't tech savvy. A variable frequency drive hooked to a PLC of some kind could do it

Perception

Perception

Yep, the Mercury 3/4 prompted this search for me. But yes, it's based off of temp only.

One more reason for running single fan: One of my issues is with cold winter weather and hot summer weather. My tent exhaust vents out a bedroom window, and is sealed around window. If I try to run two fans, then I'll need to make two exhaust ports on my window. What this means is that when one fan is blowing, the vacuum in the room will pull air in from the duct not currently in use. Winter = too cold, summer = too hot.

Currently, the vacuum in my house is alleviated by the chimney in basement, totally opposite of my upstairs grow room. This helps balance out the temp of house without pulling too much hot or cold air in. If cold air was getting directly vacuumed in to my grow room through window, it would cool the tent too much. In summer, the air being vacuumed in would be too hot! By the time air reaches grow room from chimney, it is balanced to house temperature.

This is why I'm trying to simplify with one fan.

Perception

Perception

Backdraft dampers?

That could work, although I feel like some cold air would still leak through. It can get pretty cold where I live in winter, so don't want to risk it. Also, I DO want to keep some airflow moving even at night to help prevent powdery mildew.

P

PharmHand

They seal pretty good actually they have a gasket on the butterfly valve. There's also motorized zone dampers either normally open or normally closed..... Some finagling, its doable

Perception

Perception

I've searched high and low for a fan speed controller that has hard presets for day/night, and can't find one. I've tried to figure out ways to have it automatically switch using a timer, light sensor, and speed regulator, but can't solve it.

In the end, I think that a night/day temperature sensor speed controller (like the Mercury 3 that Dr McSkunkins posted) will be the best bet. I'm sure it will accomplish what I need, just will require a little fine tuning as temperatures in my house change with the seasons.

Thanks everyone

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I've searched high and low for a fan speed controller that has hard presets for day/night, and can't find one. I've tried to figure out ways to have it automatically switch using a timer, light sensor, and speed regulator, but can't solve it.

In the end, I think that a night/day temperature sensor speed controller (like the Mercury 3 that Dr McSkunkins posted) will be the best bet. I'm sure it will accomplish what I need, just will require a little fine tuning as temperatures in my house change with the seasons.

Thanks everyone
https://hydrobuilder.com/titan-cont...paign=702625&gclid=CILnssvVjdMCFQqFaQodIL8Fuw

Perception

Perception

Thanks. Yeah, that's the type of switch I was looking at, but the trick is: Instead of having it switch OFF at night, I'd want it to switch to Low.

I think I'm going to buy an 8" Hyper Fan. Needed a new fan anyways, and it comes with a speed controller. They also sell an add-on temperature sensor that adjusts the fan for day/night temps which would be nice. This would probably work for me.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Seems like the only way would be computer controlled or have two fans an two timers or a switch like that.

Perception

Perception

Seems like the only way would be computer controlled or have two fans an two timers or a switch like that.

Yep, I believe you are correct. I'll probably just go with a Mercury 3 or something similar, as I'm sure I can make that work. I was just curious how people are handling this.

Below is a picture of my original idea. The question mark is the magical component that I just can't find. Basically a switch. Alas, I don't think I'll be going that route anymore.

IMG 9302
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Get this and put it in your tent and set the temps for day and night, when the light goes off the temp drops and your fan speed drops to 30% power until the light comes back on, temp rises and fan goes back to 100%.

mrfixit

mrfixit

Based on your diagram and from a DIY standpoint, visualize this; you "split" the timer output feed (120v or 240v) and route that to your mystery box.
That box is a relay/contactors and the 120/240v feed activates the contactors coil to switch to that feed. When the timer AC feed is "off", the contactors revert to the original connection ("normally closed").
The timer feed to the relay coil/contactors is low/no amperage draw on the timer so no issue there.
Bet you can do it for under $40.

Latest posts

Top Bottom