Does an S1 show .....

• Thread starter ProGroWannabe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

ProGroWannabe

Hey guys and gals. I have a question that some of you may be able to shed some light on.

If one were to decide he has a female plant that "might" be a good P1 but isn't sure which traits are dominant, would selfing that plant provide any usable measure of which traits would be dominant vs. recessive?

The reason I ask such a seemingly silly question is one of space. Most of us cannot grow out 100's of plants to make solid determinations on things such as trait dominance. Therefore, if selfing would give any indication as to what traits are dominant in a P1 female, then one could decide whether she might be a worthy parent by only growing out a dozen or so plants from the selfed progeny. If it was found that too many of the desired traits were recessive, then she could be eliminated as a possible parent for those traits unless of course one chose to attempt to lock in the recesssive traits.

I'm just getting my arms around the excepted theology surrounding breeding, so my ignorance may shine through in this post. If so, someone please set me straight.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
.....imo...........skip the breeding, and make ya some seeds to look at and study:D

plant combination will determine the outcome of the outcross, prolly the best thing a self will do for ya is give a good idea of how stable she is. a tight S1 population could mean good things.

instead of selfing, use as many males as ya can manage on that female your hot for. 3 males, 3 female cuts, pollied seperate. then look at those populations and see what the female throws. if your tight with that gal, you should have no problems spottin her best parts:D

get dirty

P

ProGroWannabe

Thanks aka for the response. I had never heard of anyone selfing a plant for this reason, only because they didn't have a suitable pollen donor, so I thought the question was worth posing. Thanks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom