• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
I have... And may still have the stuff to do it packed away.
I was given about fifteen different cultivars that I grew out and tested.
Was more of a chits and shiggles thing for me though.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Did you find much variation in your cultivars? Assuming you decarbed or used a hot test, did you actually find any minor cannabinoids at a large percentage?

I'm really struggling to find a THCV strain. I'd also like a mostly CBD stain. None of the dozens I have grown have shown the results they advertise unless it is all about the THC. Yup, got plenty of that.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
I'll see if I can find the kit tomorrow.
If I still have it, I'm sure I'll still have the cards and/or copies as well.
I don't have any of those plants anymore... But still be interesting to dig out.
I think you're going to have to play with harvest times to find what you're looking for. I grew a plant called Harlequin that was one of the earlier known CBD cultivars... I was told to harvest it at 6 weeks for peak CBD.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I think you're going to have to play with harvest times to find what you're looking for. I grew a plant called Harlequin that was one of the earlier known CBD cultivars... I was told to harvest it at 6 weeks for peak CBD.

That is a great point. I may be able to force plants one way or another with stimulus ranging from time to nutes to lighting, etc. I wonder if there is a map for this stuff already out there? I'm guessing no.

I grew Harlequin too. From seed. And then I learned there should be no such thing as Harelqin seeds, they are only available as clones. That makes sense to me, like ACDC, the high CBD phenos only express in a handful of seeds, something like 1 in 20. That is not passing of proper genetics via seed, thats like going to vegas to see what you get. I sure would like to be a bit more precise with this.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
That is a great point. I may be able to force plants one way or another with stimulus ranging from time to nutes to lighting, etc. I wonder if there is a map for this stuff already out there? I'm guessing no.

I grew Harlequin too. From seed. And then I learned there should be no such thing as Harelqin seeds, they are only available as clones. That makes sense to me, like ACDC, the high CBD phenos only express in a handful of seeds, something like 1 in 20. That is not passing of proper genetics via seed, thats like going to vegas to see what you get. I sure would like to be a bit more precise with this.

This is why people hold the special ones so tightly.
Personally, I'd be on the hunt for clones.
Charlette's web has always been available free of charge to anyone in need as far as I know... Maybe things have changed?

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

yes, you are correct. I need to focus on clones.

Maybe someone on this site is selling what I am after.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
Didn't age well.
IMG 20210105 100749521

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

No worries man, thanks for playing!

FWIW, the big red spots are THC and the stripes are the undecarbed acids. Generally these are viewed 180 degrees around with the THC on top. I can see the faint hints of other cannabinoids, but not enough to get any meaningful information.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
IMG 20210105 2125566013

đź‘Ť

Any idea what the shelf life is on these things, Moe?
Wondering if I could/should test done of the phenos I have going now... Or if this stuff is just garbage.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Anyone know of credible at home tests I can do for these? I am growing some stuff that should be richer in CBG and THCV in the next few months so if I can test for it for under a few hundred bucks then I am interested....especially if I can test for THCV as I have 5 Durban Poison seeds from Mel Frank that I would absolutely just run and test all of them for THCV as I have read it is high in that strain and those seeds should be legit.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Good luck Milson. It is pretty interesting. When your kit comes in hit me up and i'll help ya not make the rookie mistakes I did.

Also, FYI all the things you need can be purchased separately for a substantial savings. Before you buy any refills, happy to show you options.

I too am looking for THCV. So far, I have not registered a significant difference between Durban Poison or Jack the Ripper and all the other strains I have run. I really thought it would be obvious. Either I am testing, growing, or buying genetics wrong!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Any idea what the shelf life is on these things, Moe?
Wondering if I could/should test done of the phenos I have going now... Or if this stuff is just garbage.

The plates last forever.
Dye is a problem. It is called Fast Blue BB salt, and needs to be kept frozen. I'm sure it is dead by now.
Not sure what they use for solution in that kit. I have done testing with a few. Chloroform is a pretty standard one that works well with cannabinoids. If you have some that is years old, just get rid of it properly. No need to take risks. Left where light and heat can get to it can create some nasty stuff you definitely do not want in your house.

So the plates and all the tools are good. The chemicals most likely need to be replaced. I can dig up links when I get home if you want to start up again.

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

Dye is a problem. It is called Fast Blue BB salt,

@Moe.Red

Hope it's not too late for this thread. I just recently joined this site, and have been following the THCV threads.

I'm really impressed by your work with TLC, and I'm trying to put together a kit myself. I found a great step-by-step tutorial on another site geared towards cannabis. I've located everything except the %^$# Fast Blue BB. Well, I've located it, but no one will sell to a private party, or deliver to a residential address. I only need a gram of it. Is there anywhere that you know to buy the stuff?

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

This is where I got mine:

Thanks so much, but the smallest amount they have is 25 g for $125, plus about $40 for cold ship. I'd say that 25 grams would last the rest of my life, but seeing that I am 75, 10mg might do that... I was looking for just a gram, which the restricted sites sell.

I just wanted to test my own stuff, and those kits are ridiculously overpriced. The Fast Blue B doesn't seem any easier to get, even though they sell it in the kits.

Oh well.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thanks so much, but the smallest amount they have is 25 g for $125, plus about $40 for cold ship. I'd say that 25 grams would last the rest of my life, but seeing that I am 75, 10mg might do that... I was looking for just a gram, which the restricted sites sell.

I just wanted to test my own stuff, and those kits are ridiculously overpriced. The Fast Blue B doesn't seem any easier to get, even though they sell it in the kits.

Oh well.
Yeah, sorry about that. I got 5 grams - they used to sell that. I still think it is a lifetime supply. At least they will sell it and ship it to your house. Very few do.

There is nothing wrong with the stuff in the kits to get you started if you decide to bite the bullet and buy a kit. For me, for the price of lab testing 2 buds, I can do about 100 TLC tests, and I do them a lot so it made sense to me.

Ali_Tarpate

Ali_Tarpate

This is where I got mine:

I called them to see if they might still sell 5 grams, and was told that they don't ship to residential addresses.

But I finally found a company that would, they state it on their website. I also discovered something very interesting - and money saving. There are two different types of Fast Blue BB with different CAS numbers. You said you were using CAS 120-00-3 - there is also one ' CAS 5486-84-0 - Fast Blue BB Salt hemi(zinc chloride) salt' which does not need to be frozen or even refrigerated. I had my doubts, but the data sheet said it is used in TLC testing of cannabinoids. I got five grams for $50 something shipped. The company I got it from is called 'Chemsavers' (just add a dot com) I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here.

So anyway I got everything together for the price of one of those kits that will allow me to do more tests, than I'll ever need. I did my first one last night with my homegrown Jack the Ripper , and a commercial Durban Poison. It didn't come out so great - very weak and fuzzy. I'm not sure, but I am unsure of the timing in the eluent and the dye bath. Try try again!

First try test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom