Does anyone know How to callous cuttings?

• Thread starter TheWalkingPlant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Heard about how best practices for cloning includes creating a callous before worrying about roots. I can’t seem to get it right tho. Does anyone have any pointers? I’ve been trying to make sure moms medium is full of calcium, and I do foliar feeding the days leading up to it. I still have inconsistent clones tho (like they don’t all root evenly.

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Best practice is trial/error.....Perseverance preceed success!!😆Whats your method?
I do like to peel the part of the stem that goes in the medium or below the disc if you are aerocloning....i noticed that the callus is forming huge and from it an explosion of roots is originated...
I think that the most important part is the environment...humid enough to dont stress the plant but with enough transpiration to create a very slow dryback that creates the need of roots....
Pretty much also in aereocloning, once you nail it (Good Environment) you can chop cuts with your fingernails and shove em in anything and they will root!!!

In my experience i stopped to do two stupid things like starve of nitrogen the cut to encourage roots formation (Now i feed em like regular veggin plants plus superthrive and they look great)
and soak the cut in water for 12 to 24 hours (it lead me to many cuts gettin some sort of fungus and either die or just took off more slowly)
Ive never been sterile too...

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Best practice is trial/error.....Perseverance preceed success!!😆Whats your method?
I do like to peel the part of the stem that goes in the medium or below the disc if you are aerocloning....i noticed that the callus is forming huge and from it an explosion of roots is originated...
I think that the most important part is the environment...humid enough to dont stress the plant but with enough transpiration to create a very slow dryback that creates the need of roots....
Pretty much also in aereocloning, once you nail it (Good Environment) you can chop cuts with your fingernails and shove em in anything and they will root!!!

In my experience i stopped to do two stupid things like starve of nitrogen the cut to encourage roots formation (Now i feed em like regular veggin plants plus superthrive and they look great)
and soak the cut in water for 12 to 24 hours (it lead me to many cuts gettin some sort of fungus and either die or just took off more slowly)
Ive never been sterile too...
Ya I feel you. I’m in the process of unlearning a few of the things that you had mentioned, like putting directly into water after cutting. It seems like common practices are far from best practices.

what I’m currently doing because it works for me is rockwool on a bed of vermiculite soaked in light nutes phd. Closed domes vents for a few days then open. I just let them sit until they’re good to go. It works fine, but It’s just luck when they form a callous. I want to have a consistent callous so my plants aren’t failing due to what you were saying, damping off or picking up some kind of pathogen (I’m far from sterile atm)

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I use rockwool too! Pretty much similar to your method but i also stopped covering/dome them cause i clone ina pretty wet environment , always higher than 65%
Are you scraping or peeling anything?

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

I use rockwool too! Pretty much similar to your method but i also stopped covering/dome them cause i clone ina pretty wet environment , always higher than 65%
Are you scraping or peeling anything?
Nice. Ya I think this method is pretty common, but also not ideal. Even on a good day I’m still ending up with clones that I don’t want to use because they’re not up to par. From what I gather, forming a callous before roots is the difference because it doesn’t allow pathogens or rot at the bottom since it is no longer open. I can’t seem to get a full consistent callousing which is what I’m after. You have to cut open the cube and examine the roots to know if it worked or not, so you have you sacrifice a clone. I usually do it with the ones that are Shit

Top Bottom