Does anyone put epsom salt in the water you give to plants or foliar only?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

I am growing with biotabs dry amendments in coco. I am following the biotabs just add tap water guide at this link.

https://biotabs.nl/pdfs/organic-growing-manual-en.pdf

I use tap water that I put ascorbic acid vitamin c powder in to remove the chloramine in the water. I keep having what looks like magnesium deficiency in plants. I am not posting images of the plants in this post or asking about why the plants have problems I am only asking about epsom salt and how best to use it. I do not use calmag as the dry amendments in the biotabs are supposed to have what it needs for that. I have some epsom salt and I have tried doing foliar feeding a few times and it does not look like it is really working. I have looked online and it looks like most of the pages talking about using epsom salt for magnesium deficiency talks about spraying it but I would like to know if you can put it in the water you use when you water the plants on there.

I have 2 plants on day 22 that I water with only water and I give each like 1 half liter to 1 liter per day per plant. Would you recommend putting epsom salt in the water like 1 time per week or do you think foliar is better and how often would you foliar feed it to clear up magnesium deficiency on there?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I usually mix them with water. If you have a lockout, foliar feeding will bypass the roots and supply the plant with the magnesium it usually needs. If you do a foliar feeding and haven't done it before, there are a few recommendations. Most folks recommend NOT spraying when the lights are on. I've never had issues but I can see where it could be a problem for some operations. The other thing is to use a diluted spray of epsom salts... not the same strength you would use for feeding with water. It's always best to start on the lite side to prevent issues like burning if applied foliar.

growsince79

growsince79

I am growing with biotabs dry amendments in coco. I am following the biotabs just add tap water guide at this link.

https://biotabs.nl/pdfs/organic-growing-manual-en.pdf

I use tap water that I put ascorbic acid vitamin c powder in to remove the chloramine in the water. I keep having what looks like magnesium deficiency in plants. I am not posting images of the plants in this post or asking about why the plants have problems I am only asking about epsom salt and how best to use it. I do not use calmag as the dry amendments in the biotabs are supposed to have what it needs for that. I have some epsom salt and I have tried doing foliar feeding a few times and it does not look like it is really working. I have looked online and it looks like most of the pages talking about using epsom salt for magnesium deficiency talks about spraying it but I would like to know if you can put it in the water you use when you water the plants on there.

I have 2 plants on day 22 that I water with only water and I give each like 1 half liter to 1 liter per day per plant. Would you recommend putting epsom salt in the water like 1 time per week or do you think foliar is better and how often would you foliar feed it to clear up magnesium deficiency on there?
IDK but it works great for my peppers. I think I used 1tsp/gal

the123321

the123321

Thanks. When you do a foliar spray do you do only epsom salt and water or do you put soap in the bottle on there?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
One level tablespoon per gallon of water is a safe ratio for foliar application

Perhaps for foliar, but still seems a bit high?. Its way too much for nutrient solution though.

Epsom salt is about 25 grams per tablespoon, and its 9.8%Mg and 13% sulphur.

Punched into a nutrient calculator it looks like this. That's crazy high ppm.
Screenshot 20200611 123933 Samsung Internet

My conservative half gram per gallon gives me around 15ppm extra Mg and 20ppm extra Sulphur. But my nutrients already have both so for me it's just supplemental. I'd feel comfortable using up to 1.5 gram/1/4tsp per gallon of nutrient solution. But I cant really comment on foliar rates, I dont really do foliar apps.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Perhaps for foliar, but still seems a bit high?. Its way too much for nutrient solution though.

Epsom salt is about 25 grams per tablespoon, and its 9.8%Mg and 13% sulphur.

Punched into a nutrient calculator it looks like this. That's crazy high ppm.View attachment 984695
Yes I made certain I mentioned for *foliar application; I use it at this ratio and never have a problem, I spray it two days in a row if I see an early magnesium deficiency, it's fixed it on every occasion
Screenshot 20200611 155632 Google

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom