Does Anyone Scuff their Beans B4 Germinating?

• Thread starter ReconMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

ReconMan

Just wondering if I should scuff my C-13 beans before I germinate them. I was told to use a small nail file. Is this a good thing or is scuffing just not necessary? Thanx Everyone!!!

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
I just popped 50 beans last month was no need to scuff any. Scuffing beans is usually done if there older.

P

ProGroWannabe

Yeah like Logic said. The only other time I scuff is if some don't pop with their brothers and sisters. Then I'll scuff the remaining ones to see if I can get them to pop as well. Some beans are just VERY hard shelled.

R

ReconMan

Hey thanx for the responses!!! These are fairly new beans, C-13, I wonder if I should scuff slightly just in case? Do u just scuff the part where it cracks open or the whole thing...never done it before. Or maybe I'll try the first 4 without scuffing to see. I gonna put then in rockwool starter cubes then place them on top of my DVR player because I believe it's pretty warm. Good idea? Or should I not use a heat source? Thanks again!!!

S

spinkus

Try a couple without scuffing and see how they do. Most seeds I pop don't ever need scuffed. As PGW said, some seeds hulls are very tough and may need a little coaxing.

I remember Zoo and Steele saying scuffing the sour bubble seeds helped with germination alot. Just one example of a tough seed.

R

ReconMan

Hey thanx, I will do that and see...appreciate all the help!!!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
You can also scuff them by using a small pill bottle, or a empty match stick box lined with fine grit sand paper on the inside. Simply place your beans inside close the lid or box and shake continously for about 4 minutes. This scuffs the ridges on the bean hull.I Look at it as a helpful tool, And it wont bother the beans either.:dance RB

R

rounders02

i scuff mine a little were they crack open helps them a little and does not harm them just gives me more insurence that they will pop...

K

kid606

i'll try this with my sour bubbles soon..
never done it before and had great results..but like said above..some beans are said to have tougher hulls..

D

dna genetics

C13 haze seeds are fresh stock there should be no reason why you should scuff these seeds in the fist place.

but if it floats your boat to scuff them then go ahead.
just dont use the Nail File use the match box trick i feel it's the best method:clapping

peace,
A

P

poutpup07

hmmmmm...

ive never heard of this b4 looks like i will know a new method next time i get some stubborn ones!thanx fellas you learn somethin new everyday!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom