does being rootbound cause early flowering outside

• Thread starter caligirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caligirl

caligirl

I have many plants in fifteen and thirty gallon pots outdoors in nor cal. I also have many in 10, 7 and a few in 5 gallon pots on the deck. As i recall from previous seasons, the rootbound plants always flowered first for a nice mid summer harvest. I was planning on letting the plants in the smaller containers get root bound so atleast some of my harvest will beat the wet weather we often have at harvest time. As a matter of fact, i have a sfv og kush that is flowering now with no signs of re-vegging - she was vegged for five months and root bound in a seven gallon and looks amazing. I also have a jilly bean and pink lemonade kush that were vegged for a long time and rootbound and starting to flower. Im wondering if anyone else has had this experience? I think it is the combination of long veg, with plant being very mature and root boundness.

caligirl

caligirl

Here is a pic of my sfv og that i just took today. It really doesnt look like its gonna re-veg to me.

IMG 1052
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Being rootbound causes early flowering, and faster flowering, in both scenarios, IME. Always.

That's a pretty good idea if it doesn't blow plant counts, or you don't have to worry about plant counts. I'm doing some Jilly Bean, too!

caligirl

caligirl

jilly bean is fun to smoke but sure is a mold magnet, in my experience. I just lost so much to mold last year cuz we had rain in sept and oct. So anything to get an earlier harvest with some of the plants.

vaporedout

vaporedout

Here is a pic of my sfv og that i just took today. It really doesnt look like its gonna re-veg to me.
looks like your headed for buds, it would suck if it re vegged now. rootbound in a 7 gal pot, any pics of that monster? i only grow in 5 gals for mobility and never noticed them flower from being rootbound. does that work with seeds? i have about 10 seeds im waiting on sex for, theyre in 1 gal pots and about 2 feet tall, everyone ive up potted has one giant rootball, almost no soil. anything to speed up the sexing process ;)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Great Question...I was wondering the same thing...Because I have some plants that have vegged for a long time..and some those that are probably rootbound are just started to show signs of flowering (i think).late june?

a few days ago, I put the biggest one (super skunk clone) in a big box with lots of room..
But
I hope they dont revege this late. :(

S

sunnyhawaii

I have a root bound problem in a 5 gal bucket, 3 of them with about 6 weeks to go. They were flowering but the roots were showing so I ut the bottoms out and put them into bigger tubs and 2 weeks later they started re-vegging at the tops big time. I did not want that. So now what do I do about the new tops? Just let nature take it's course? Or what are my options, I would have liked to do all my harvesting at once. I have about 10 plants and 3 are the ones that I am mentioning, thank you for any advice. I think these pics may be the before re-veg.

6 11 13 Summer grow in Hawaii outdoors 003
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmmm... I'm not sure there's much you *can* do to stop the process once it's begun. I'm experiencing it myself for the first time with seed starts this year, I have many that are throwing single-lobed leaves. I am blaming my interrupted photoperiod, because this has never happened to me before, not through the roots being bound, not through anything other than an already mature cut having her hormones mucked about with.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
it really sucks too. Because i know reveg is going to make the plant weaker...and more prone to mold. :(
I should toss my early flowering plants (3 or 4) But I probably won't.
Just have to watch em..Maybe they wont reveg? the days are getting shorter..right?

I was worried when I stopped my interrupted photoperiod.(bout 5 weeks ago)
But 95% are still in veg...so I am grateful for that :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dude, you should see the ones I have that are revegging. They're from my interrupted photoperiod fuck up (is there ANY way to make that an alliteration?????). I almost started a thread on "I'll never do THAT again!" You remember, the huge male:female ratio? I had to pop more beans to get more girls. The ones from the previous poppage are the ones that are revegging. I'll never do THAT again! D'oh!

If you saw how small what I have going are, you would feel a lot better, too. ;)

caligirl

caligirl

for some strange reason, none of the flowering outdoor plants are re-vegging. I had this experience a few years back and had a mid-end of summer harvest of excellant quality buds. On the other hand last year my light interruption in the greenhouse got fucked up and they simutaneously flowered and vegged into crappy buds.
This year did light dep on my deck and stopped it towards the end of may. By start of june my sfv was flowering (i finally brought this one indoors cuz of rain ) and mid june my pink lemonade kush, jilly bean, dairy queen and some lost coasts og's started flowering and are still going strong with no signs of revegging in twelve hours of full sun. Being mature when i put them out in spring and not transplanting them past 5 - 7 gallons helps.

caligirl

caligirl

looks like your headed for buds, it would suck if it re vegged now. rootbound in a 7 gal pot, any pics of that monster? i only grow in 5 gals for mobility and never noticed them flower from being rootbound. does that work with seeds? i have about 10 seeds im waiting on sex for, theyre in 1 gal pots and about 2 feet tall, everyone ive up potted has one giant rootball, almost no soil. anything to speed up the sexing process ;)
probably not so much with seedlings because they have a full life cycle to go through and clones, once rooted are sexually mature. i will post some pics of my outdoor grow soon.

caligirl

caligirl

Great Question...I was wondering the same thing...Because I have some plants that have vegged for a long time..and some those that are probably rootbound are just started to show signs of flowering (i think).late june?

a few days ago, I put the biggest one (super skunk clone) in a big box with lots of room..
But
I hope they dont revege this late. :(
The only plants that are flowering now are the ones i did not transplant. And i wont grow in the ground because they seem to never finish - even the indica doms - until wet weather sets in.

caligirl

caligirl

it really sucks too. Because i know reveg is going to make the plant weaker...and more prone to mold. :(
I should toss my early flowering plants (3 or 4) But I probably won't.
Just have to watch em..Maybe they wont reveg? the days are getting shorter..right?

I was worried when I stopped my interrupted photoperiod.(bout 5 weeks ago)
But 95% are still in veg...so I am grateful for that :D

You are so right about revegging plants being weaker and more prone to mildew and mold and bugs!

Top Bottom