Does Canna Coco + RO + Canna nutes = calmag need

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

Hi All,

Just starting my first grow with RO water, canna coco and canna nutes. I have read that I need to supplement with calmag. Can any farmers tell me if this is correct?

If so, how much do I need to add?
Does it stay constant throughout the grow?
What are the most common signs that my plants need calmag?

My seedlings have just started their first true leaves and I am deciding (via reading grow reports) when to add some nutes :worried and consequently if I need to include calmag.

thanks to all for any inputs

S

sfzoo

yes. you need it.

5ml per gallon is the standard, but some use up to 7ml. You'll need it throughout veg and at the beginning of flower.

Some precharge the coco with Calmag, the seedlings tend to show deficiencies right off the bat if not precharged.

420Gator

420Gator

the leaves will be absent of color. i used foxfarm in my canna and saw minor defficiencies here and there throughout the grow. i added about 300ppm of cal mag probly needed like 350. id just use tap for now till theyre a couple weeks old

M

minster

yes. you need it.

5ml per gallon is the standard, but some use up to 7ml. You'll need it throughout veg and at the beginning of flower.

Some precharge the coco with Calmag, the seedlings tend to show deficiencies right off the bat if not precharged.

Thanks stzoo, I appreciate the response, will be following your recommendation - really liked the room set up on your link btw - impressive, great work!

the leaves will be absent of color. i used foxfarm in my canna and saw minor defficiencies here and there throughout the grow. i added about 300ppm of cal mag probly needed like 350. id just use tap for now till theyre a couple weeks old

Cheers Gator - your right about the absence of colour mate. Will be adding Calmag on the next water, hopefully there is recovery in sight - congrats on the grow on your link, very nice.

420Gator

420Gator

dont look for recovery in the areas already affected, as long as the new growth is green

M

minster

tut, local shop was out of stock of calmag. I cant get to another shop till tomorrow. My seedlings need watering. I got some Epsom salts though. Does anyone know how much to add to a litre or gallon for week old seedlings? I read on another forum that there is some risk involved in using them - anyone have any inputs on this? I am debating giving them a light nute feed and waiting till the next one before adding any mag supplement - hopefully calmag by then.

thanks as always farmer :)

420Gator

420Gator

id just hold out till tomoro and wait for the real shit. plain water should be ok unless theyre real bad. can u post a pic?

O

okcomputer42

tut, local shop was out of stock of calmag. I cant get to another shop till tomorrow. My seedlings need watering. I got some Epsom salts though. Does anyone know how much to add to a litre or gallon for week old seedlings? I read on another forum that there is some risk involved in using them - anyone have any inputs on this? I am debating giving them a light nute feed and waiting till the next one before adding any mag supplement - hopefully calmag by then.

thanks as always farmer :)

As far as I understand Epsom salt offers magnesium and Dolomite Lime offers calcium, but I'd be careful with adding those. Do your research first if you're set on using those otherwise wait until you can buy some Cal/Mag from a grow shop. Personally I like MagiCal by Techniflora. Hope this helps.

Peace and love,
OK

M

minster

trying the pics...

Top left is a bag seed from my last Amsterdam trip - no idea what it is. am gutted I am losing it. This seedling is approx 1 week in front of my main beans on the right - I have a few of these smaller ones for the grow.

This next pic shows a close up of what I think are the effects of no calmag on the bag seed - could well be wrong.

The final pic is a close up of two seedlings that represent my grow. I have two problems with these

1) They have had a light feed with canna nutes and RO but no Cal Mag. I am hoping they are not showing signs yet of deficiency. I will be searching for cal mag tomorrow and hopefully I will avoid the problem above, which seems days away

2) Second challenge is that I didnt expect all the beans to germinate - 100% success here. My problem is that I cannot fit them all under the T5's I have. I do have two 600MH aircooled lamps in my other room. I am wondering if the small seedlings can go under that tomorrow - I can give them abour 4 feet of clearance from the lamp - any comments welcome.

Here is a closer view of the small seedlings

hope the pics work, any comments welcome.

M

mamaherb

Yes on the calmag when using coco. I always dp slightly less than recommended on the bottle:)

true grit

true grit

More so, yes calcium when using RO. Depending on base nutes you probably won't need Mag, just cal. Look into calplex. I was converted and im a believer, haven't had a "calmag" issue since switching.

420Gator

420Gator

More so, yes calcium when using RO. Depending on base nutes you probably won't need Mag, just cal. Look into calplex. I was converted and im a believer, haven't had a "calmag" issue since switching.

this is great info, i dont like taking up so much ppm with the cal-mag. how many ppm would u say you use of calplex tg?

true grit

true grit

i never go over 3ml/g in veg and i sit around 6ml/g in flower at most. haven't had a lockout or "deficiency" since...

420Gator

420Gator

too bad i just bought a gal of calmag. still gotta make the switch, no need feeding em shit they dont need

M

minster

thanks all, spent the morning on the phone to shops.....came to the conclusion from some of the stroppy answers that calmag+ is mainly available in the U.S. - not so much in the UK.

Managed to get some Canna Mono Calcium and order the same brand Mag.....hopefully, thanks to all your inputs I can combat any deficiency along the way. I do have a seedling post in the infirmary if any of you could share an opinion to the cause, I dont have a clue (as you can tell) - its here,

couldnt find the silca, will do some reading about that - thanks for everyones inputs - they are greatly appreciated.

C

crippled1

The reason you need calmag is that you are using RO water.
Normal tap water has these already in it but your filter strips them out.
You are simply making up for this by adding calmag back to the water.
The beauty of this is that YOU get to control how much is in your water instead of relying on what's coming out of the tap.
You don't have to use calmag.
There are many alternatives, Magical, Organicare calplex and huvega, Advanced Nutrients sensi calmag.

M

minster

thanks guys, managed to get canna mono calcium and mag in the end.....

C

crippled1

I thought this might help you. I spoke with a Botanicare rep today about calmag. Just like you, I am using RO water. I usually bring the ppms up to around 200 with calmag and then add nutrients from that point.
My plants still look like they have a minor cal and or mag deficiency. The guy told me that some people add 5-7 ml of calmag which would give you alot of ppms, maybe 400-600. If your plants are asking for it, give it to them. Just make sure your total ppms stays where you want it. You may have to use less of your base nutes to compensate.
The Botanicare feed chart even says "if you are using RO water or coco medium to add a minimum of 5 ml / gallon calmag for the first 2 weeks."

M

minster

I thought this might help you. I spoke with a Botanicare rep today about calmag. Just like you, I am using RO water. I usually bring the ppms up to around 200 with calmag and then add nutrients from that point.
My plants still look like they have a minor cal and or mag deficiency. The guy told me that some people add 5-7 ml of calmag which would give you alot of ppms, maybe 400-600. If your plants are asking for it, give it to them. Just make sure your total ppms stays where you want it. You may have to use less of your base nutes to compensate.
The Botanicare feed chart even says "if you are using RO water or coco medium to add a minimum of 5 ml / gallon calmag for the first 2 weeks."

Hey crippled, very nice of you thanks for that :) - Seems the way to go, I am starting to introduce Canna mono Calcium and Magnesium to thier feed and see what happens. I read somewhere that Canna suggested that their Nutes are optimal with water should starting around EC0.2. Dont know if it true......I am raised my RO water to that with the Ca/Mg above and then added my nutes, which are very light at the mo, then PH back down to 5.8. I also gave them a folia spray with a Rhiztonic and a very light dose of Ca/Mg just as their light cycle began - fingers crossed for our plants eh, will let you know how they go....will try and leave them alone now and let nature take its course.

Top Bottom