Does HPS cause more stretch than MH?

• Thread starter Kushizle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kushizle

Kushizle

I’ve been reading a lot of conflicting information about this. Some people are saying HPS causes more stretch with quicker growth and others are saying MH causes more stretch with quicker growth. Who is right? Does anyone have experience vegging with both? I’m currently in early veg and have both HPS and MH bulbs and I’m wondering which one I should use. I’m trying to get as much stretch as possible in early veg before I flower under a fluence spyder-x LED. Thanks!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hps (more red) will cause more and longer branching. Mh (more blue) makes stockier bushier plants. But genetics still mostly decide growth patterns.

I have vegged and flowered with both and combinations of them.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I’ve been reading a lot of conflicting information about this. Some people are saying HPS causes more stretch with quicker growth and others are saying MH causes more stretch with quicker growth. Who is right? Does anyone have experience vegging with both? I’m currently in early veg and have both HPS and MH bulbs and I’m wondering which one I should use. I’m trying to get as much stretch as possible in early veg before I flower under a fluence spyder-x LED. Thanks!
metal halide (blue light) is for veg and high pressure sodium (red light) is for flowering, the basics...
there are ways to manipulate things

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I should have added that HPS vs MH of the same wattage Hps will grow a bigger plant faster. This has been teated by the university of michigan. They recommended (before led testing now) using hps the whole cycle for best growth.

But like said above you can use these tools to fit your purpose.

Kushizle

Kushizle

I should have added that HPS vs MH of the same wattage Hps will grow a bigger plant faster. This has been teated by the university of michigan. They recommended (before led testing now) using hps the whole cycle for best growth.

But like said above you can use these tools to fit your purpose.
Sweet thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Here is a good article.

pretty thin..
we’re talking marijuana and trichomes.. anyways a debate not for me.
just giving my way, not pushing anything or putting anything down.
thanks🙂

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

pretty thin..
we’re talking marijuana and trichomes.. anyways a debate not for me.
just giving my way, not pushing anything or putting anything down.
thanks🙂

But the op just wants to know which will grow the biggest plants before flower.

I didnt know I was causing a debate about it.

fishbuds

fishbuds

in a small space, stretch drives me nutz. some strains are going to reach out regardless of color of light.

Supercrop to control height, and design bushes to your spec ;)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I like a mixed spectrum for flowering. The blue helps stretch but also keeps the flowers more compact and dense while adding to the overall resin production.

Me too. My favorite combo so far is 2 horti super 600 hps to 1 phillips 3100 cmh. Even 1-1 is real good. But it does limit stretch and that is not always good with already short Afghani leaners. I guess more veg time would help but i dont always have that option.

One day I will buy a nice 3k led to try. Maybe a 2700k

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I prefer the type of veg growth I get from MH. I've also done it both ways but just prefer MH as it makes shorter plants with fatter stems and tighter internodes which works well for my style of growing, which is removing lower growth and focusing on only growing an upper canopy of tops. Plants vegged under HPS end up a bit too lanky for me with nodes that are much further apart.

Top Bottom