does keif have an expiration date?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

ive been saving my keif and keeping it in a sealed container for when i have enough to make butter,, does it go bad? how long can i store it?

W

wpw

Hang on....lemme spark up this bowl w/ some 4yr old kief..................:RastaBong:

Nope...it hasnt gone bad...:rastadancing:

Peace...wpw

L

l33t

"does keif have an expiration date?" - Yep...

Well as long as it isn't exposed to light , heat and air/oxygen it should not go bad even for many years after..

You can always store it in the freezer (the lowest the temp the less the THC degradation) and it will last for a very very long time..

If its exposed to air/oxygen, heat and light it will go bad and quite fast really , how fast exactly depends on these factors

"The concentration of D9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabinol (CBN) in cannabis plant material (marijuana) of different varieties stored at room temperature (20-22o Celsius (C)) over a four-year period was determined. The percentage loss of THC was proportional to the storage time. On average, the concentration of THC in the plant material decreased by 16.6% ±7.4 of its original value after one year and 26.8% ±7.3, 34.5% ±7.6 and 41.4% ±6.5 after two, three and four years, respectively. A relationship between the concentration ratio of CBN to THC and the storage time was developed and could serve as a guide in determining the approximate age of a given marijuana sample stored at room temperature."

S. A. ROSS , M. A. ELSOHLY (1991)

Other researchers (Turner) reported that THC disappeared at a rate of 3.83, 5.38 and 6.92 per cent per year over two years when stored at -18o, 4o, and 22o C, respectively.

So according to such studies 4 year old stash if stored in closed containers and in the dark but with room temps (~21c) has about 30-40% less THC than it had when you harvested the plants..

all in all use as low temps as poss to store your stash if you intent to store it for a long time..keep it away from light and use well filled airtight containers for best results.

hope this helps

l33t

G

guineapig

Yes i was about to say that Light and Heat and Oxygen and Moisture are the enemies of THC.....

:flower flower power from guineapig :flower

AquaLabTech

AquaLabTech

Hashish Connoisseur
Aged Kief

Hash will get that aged flavor otherwise it will be fine.

I have smoked Dry Sifted Hash that was 15 years old and still melted. Flavor was aged but still really nice.

Aqua Lab Tech

G

Goldenboy

Hash will get that aged flavor otherwise it will be fine.

I have smoked Dry Sifted Hash that was 15 years old and still melted. Flavor was aged but still really nice.

Aqua Lab Tech

15 Years and still melted wow!!

I

IpuffAlot

15 years that's crazy!that be cool to smoke some 15 yr old hash and sip on some 15 yr old wine.I don't drink wine but I'd still think i was cool.ha,ha IpuffAlot

Z

zoeronerer

Yes i was about to say that Light and Heat and Oxygen and Moisture are the enemies of THC.....

:flower flower power from guineapig :flower

i agree totally...........guinea.......and as aqua said melts and tastes fine even after time......my friend in coarse gold california has a brick of the finest afghani hash that was smuggled back by his father in 81. he pulls it out on new years and everyone can smoke as much as they want .....the kilo is about half gone but i have noticed a fall off in potency in the last 5 years (although i missed a year or two of his party's).......temple balls i have been told will store for ten years no mold because of the protective skin the monks create when rolling the balls.....its probably best to press it for long term storage to prevent oxy and moisture/light contact .....just my hashy opinion.....hash to me is the best .....its a higher form of cannabis dont get me wrong i love fresh weed ...but nothing beats a real temple ball or some cream from the mountains........or those little surfboard shapes of afghani ..............yummmmmmm sorry im now off topic......:character0050:

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

THC fall off

The book of hashish by Robert Connell Clarke
There is a graph shows Thc cbn cnb degradation %
fall off over time

BuckP

BuckP

Cold seems to prolong quality better than frozen. I've been experimenting with shelf life of both bud and kief for the past 6 years. In that time I've discovered the optimal temp for storing bud seems to be between 35- 40 degrees - cold but not frozen - tightly sealed in mason jars in a dark refrigerator where I monitor the temp with an accurate thermometer. Freezing seems to eventually (not immediately) mess with the bud quality - gets dry and crumbles to powder - as well as degrading the thc, in time. I've had some killer frozen bud but have noticed a loss of quality after a while in the freezer.

I extract a lot of kief for cooking - the easiest way to cook in ways. Out of curiosity I have experimental kief jars in various places from the freezer to the 35-40 degree fridge to a small jar in the back of my hot truck. So far I've not noticed a degradation even in the kief in the toolbox in my hot truck but, then again, if the kief was 50% straight out of the shake, even if it deteriorates to 30% it's still strong, so this testing is highly subjective. The only kief I've had go bad, for sure, was a jar in the fridge with a loose lid so moisture zapped a few g's.

One method of processing kief I'm still testing is pressing kief into a solid, alka-seltzer size wafers, ie, converting the powdered kief into very hard hash. (hard like alka seltzer tabs that can be broken when ready to use) I make them in 1-2 gram discs but you can make any size. (buy a kief press or simply find a way to press or hammer kief into discs) Once done 99% of the kief is sealed from air and light exposure inside the hard disc. Only the surfaces of the alka-seltzer looking disc comes in contact with air though these discs are also in cold storage.

T definitely degrades in time so the goal is really determining the best way to prolong the shelf-life. I really hated seeing the last of a couple fav strains go but they lasted a helluva long time at 35-40 degrees.

frebo

frebo

Cold seems to prolong quality better than frozen. I've been experimenting with shelf life of both bud and kief for the past 6 years. In that time I've discovered the optimal temp for storing bud seems to be between 35- 40 degrees - cold but not frozen - tightly sealed in mason jars in a dark refrigerator where I monitor the temp with an accurate thermometer. Freezing seems to eventually (not immediately) mess with the bud quality - gets dry and crumbles to powder - as well as degrading the thc, in time. I've had some killer frozen bud but have noticed a loss of quality after a while in the freezer.

I extract a lot of kief for cooking - the easiest way to cook in ways. Out of curiosity I have experimental kief jars in various places from the freezer to the 35-40 degree fridge to a small jar in the back of my hot truck. So far I've not noticed a degradation even in the kief in the toolbox in my hot truck but, then again, if the kief was 50% straight out of the shake, even if it deteriorates to 30% it's still strong, so this testing is highly subjective. The only kief I've had go bad, for sure, was a jar in the fridge with a loose lid so moisture zapped a few g's.

One method of processing kief I'm still testing is pressing kief into a solid, alka-seltzer size wafers, ie, converting the powdered kief into very hard hash. (hard like alka seltzer tabs that can be broken when ready to use) I make them in 1-2 gram discs but you can make any size. (buy a kief press or simply find a way to press or hammer kief into discs) Once done 99% of the kief is sealed from air and light exposure inside the hard disc. Only the surfaces of the alka-seltzer looking disc comes in contact with air though these discs are also in cold storage.

T definitely degrades in time so the goal is really determining the best way to prolong the shelf-life. I really hated seeing the last of a couple fav strains go but they lasted a helluva long time at 35-40 degrees.

I have an attachment to a seal a meal that sucks the air out of large mouthed jars. I store them in the freezer and they come out just like when I put them in there, almost but close. I am going to try filling them with nitrogen and see how that works. I have had kief get bad in a jar - maybe a moisture issue but now in the freezer. I will try the 35-40 degree thing also.

H

happy b

i agree totally...........guinea.......and as aqua said melts and tastes fine even after time......my friend in coarse gold california has a brick of the finest afghani hash that was smuggled back by his father in 81. he pulls it out on new years and everyone can smoke as much as they want .....the kilo is about half gone but i have noticed a fall off in potency in the last 5 years (although i missed a year or two of his party's).......temple balls i have been told will store for ten years no mold because of the protective skin the monks create when rolling the balls.....its probably best to press it for long term storage to prevent oxy and moisture/light contact .....just my hashy opinion.....hash to me is the best .....its a higher form of cannabis dont get me wrong i love fresh weed ...but nothing beats a real temple ball or some cream from the mountains........or those little surfboard shapes of afghani ..............yummmmmmm sorry im now off topic......:character0050:
The hand rubbed hashish will go off a good bit faster than seived as its got more moisture in it because its taken from live plants.we had a bit of hand rubbed that went off.it had loads of white shit on it.and it was rotten and it didnt get us stoned.it came to us as temple ball(although it wasnt) and we ended up calling it temple kak.

Top Bottom