Does The Efficiency Of 600w Justify Start Cost Vs 1000w? An Analysis, Input Wanted

• Thread starter KarmaPharmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KarmaPharmer

KarmaPharmer

As much as I really like where the LED industry is headed, and yes I am sure that a spyder or other high end LED fixture would probably save me money in the long run, I just do not have the funds to invest in LEDs right now.

I was given a couple SE 1000W HPS ballasts and hoods, so I will be using those, but also I am going to mix in some 315 CMH lights. Still debating on the brands to use

I have done a fair bit of research and it seems like although I could get great yields gpw, I just dont have the money to spend up front, it seems LEC/CMH also puts out great yield per watt, has been said to improve cannabinoid content, and still is cooler than traditional HPS lighting.

KarmaPharmer

KarmaPharmer

Lumens are for humans and should not really be used to factor what lights to get. and heres why

https://fluence.science/science/par-ppf-ppfd-dli/

I really like what fluence is trying to do, I think they are a great company from what I have read and heard them say on the KIS podcasts,
However,
I said in the beginning of this that while lumens are not the best way to measure light output, it really can still be useful when comparing two HPS or MH lamps.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I really like what fluence is trying to do, I think they are a great company from what I have read and heard them say on the KIS podcasts,
However,
I said in the beginning of this that while lumens are not the best way to measure light output, it really can still be useful when comparing two HPS or MH lamps.
I can appreciate your position. I have been following the LED thang a few minutes now. I was a ku%% hair away from pulling the trigger on losing my hids and getting the spydr x plus and then gavita went and came out with their answer to what bml /fluence was doing and now I have to see some side by sides before I move another inch. Screwed me up royally gavitaaaaaaaaaaa The thing that may still sway me to fluence is they have been in the led game a tad longer and I have seen via forum and a partners runs that fluences spyders are awesome.

KarmaPharmer

KarmaPharmer

Yeah I think fluence has a lot going for them in that they are seem pretty transparent and really dedicated to pushing the envelope in their design and research. The improvements they constantly make to product is really cool, it shows they are progressing.

That said, they definitely are expensive! Which is fair, they never claim to be a cut-the-corners set up.
now I have to see some side by sides before I move another inch. Screwed me up royally gavitaaaaaaaaaaa The thing that may still sway me to fluence is they have been in the led game a tad longer and I have seen via forum and a partners runs that fluences spyders are awesome.

lol at the screwed me royally thing, I hear ya friend, with the state of tech in the cannabis industry moving at this pace it becomes really difficult to feel like you have for sure found the best product, or best price point.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Hey cemchris,
Why would you say go to 315 instead of 630 lamps? I think I saw someone else suggesting this, and I get you have more flexibility of lighting etc. but going back to the big question of this thread - does the efficiency of having multiple smaller lights justify the cost of buying balasts and shit for so many lights?

630'S are good but also put out some heat. I would say the are similar to Gavi 750's or maybe a little more. IMO they are a little overkill unless going for some kind of crazy setup. Think you get a better footprint spreading them out a little more. Im not sure which companies are making them now but the Nanolux 630's had a higher then usually failure rate on the early models for us. It isnt a crazy problem with warranty but if you dont have extra lights for a small setup it can become a real hassle. A lot of times the ballasts went out you would also have to get new bulbs so there is that side of it also. 315's have pretty good coverage and low draw and a cheaper investment when you factor in failure rate. Again I don't know if this is still the case im just talking from the earlier Nano's which that probelm might have been fixed now. Would have to have someone using the newer models (they usually change the dimming nob on model changes) to get a for sure answer on that. If going 315's I would prob run the Solis-teks. The beauty of 315's are the 1.5 amp draw meaning you can cram a lot on a circuit or get away with out having to go crazy on panels for smaller setups (220v)

From what I have seen 315 for veg is the top dawg atm. I havent personally used them for flower but have seen a couple setups from legit buddies going from 1k/600's to 315's adding 2 to 4 extras and pulling the same yield or better with top notch qual. They preach to me all the time telling me to switch.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

630 s legit replace a se 1k hps. DE I’m not so sure but still.. I love hps, but If I was you I’d buy cmh. Still heat your house but you can grow more off those watts. I want a couple 315s to surround my 1k

KarmaPharmer

KarmaPharmer

Yep, I went with a few 315s to mix in between the 1000w SE that I already had lying around. I plan on leaving them open hood, no glass to stop the UV light that everyone says can really help resin production. It seems most people really like where the HPS and CMH light overlap, so I am excited to see that.

Talking to other growers I hear nothing but positive things about cmh, especially at the price point compared to leds right now.

Now ill be figuring out how I want my rooms to seal up, since I have everything for Co2 sans the tubing from the tank to the rest of the room.. Venting with a scrubber sounds easiest for heating my house and keeping the air fresh, but I do love a nice sealed flower room.

Never a dull moment when working on a grow, thanks to all for the input, glad to be back going down the rabbit hole of grow info!

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Yep, I went with a few 315s to mix in between the 1000w SE that I already had lying around. I plan on leaving them open hood, no glass to stop the UV light that everyone says can really help resin production. It seems most people really like where the HPS and CMH light overlap, so I am excited to see that.

Talking to other growers I hear nothing but positive things about cmh, especially at the price point compared to leds right now.

Now ill be figuring out how I want my rooms to seal up, since I have everything for Co2 sans the tubing from the tank to the rest of the room.. Venting with a scrubber sounds easiest for heating my house and keeping the air fresh, but I do love a nice sealed flower room.

Never a dull moment when working on a grow, thanks to all for the input, glad to be back going down the rabbit hole of grow info!
Nice man. Post up some pics! I’m prob going with cobs to compliment my se 1k hps, but plan on replacing the 1k with cmh eventually. I’ll still have an hps kicking around for life tho mang. But I’m thinking 315s and 100 watt cobs mixed to run as much as I can with amperage available.
Still debating 1k cmh up high instead of the 315s but it’s a crazed scheme lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom