Does this set up look good?

• Thread starter Jsimp342
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jsimp342

Hey everyone I’ve done a couple unsuccessful grows so I upgraded a few things. Please let me know recommendations, I think I’ve got it all covered though.
What’s the thought on growing in basement when furnace runs all winter?

4x4 tent

Heater and humidifier hooked up to temp/humidity controller

Spider farmer sf7000 grow light with timer

And a fan I get in there eventually

Vivosun 6 inch carbon filter exhaust Running 24/7 that shoots right outside

Does this set up look good
Does this set up look good 2
Does this set up look good 3
Does this set up look good 4
Does this set up look good 5
Does this set up look good 6
Does this set up look good 7
Does this set up look good 8
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Can you approach your tent on at least 3 sides? This makes care of the plants much easier once the space fills up.

I saw electric wires through the zippered door opening. Is that temporary? (probably is but you never know, I have to ask)

Last question is about your water heater. Gas or electric? If gas, you might consider moving that table I saw in your first picture.

You've got the right idea. It might take some adjusting here and there to make it "just right for you."

J

Jsimp342

Fuel oil electric water boiler, there’s a wood boiler but I don’t use it. That wire is going to go through tent. Wasn’t sure if the furnace would pull to much oxygen or anything

J

Jsimp342

Fuel oil electric water boiler, there’s a wood boiler but I don’t use it. That wire is going to go through tent. Wasn’t sure if the furnace would pull to much oxygen or anything
And two sides I can approach the tent, so 4 plants will be a handful lol

J

Jsimp342

Can you approach your tent on at least 3 sides? This makes care of the plants much easier once the space fills up.

I saw electric wires through the zippered door opening. Is that temporary? (probably is but you never know, I have to ask)

Last question is about your water heater. Gas or electric? If gas, you might consider moving that table I saw in your first picture.

You've got the right idea. It might take some adjusting here and there to make it "just right for you."
I read that wrong, that’s an old broken electric water heater I need to get it out of there still

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

And two sides I can approach the tent, so 4 plants will be a handful lol
I'd only grow 4 in it anyway, but that's me. Others are certain to suggest more. Your plants will appreciate the extra space and so will you when its time to take care of them.

I grow in my mechanical room. My furnace is in there. So is my water heater. Each home is different but plenty of air for all in mine so likely yours too... The rest will come as you get to know your space/fans etc and how to best utilize your equipment.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Good start.

What part of the world? I see you have a heater and humidifier, most growers actually need cooling and dehumidifying more than heating and humidification. Winter helps, just depends where you are.

I'm gonna guess, lets see, basement? Check. Brick? interesting. Heating oil tanks, somewhere northern with some history.

Michigan? Vermont?

outside the tent, or outside outside?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Good start.

What part of the world? I see you have a heater and humidifier, most growers actually need cooling and dehumidifying more than heating and humidification. Winter helps, just depends where you are.

I'm gonna guess, lets see, basement? Check. Brick? interesting. Heating oil tanks, somewhere northern with some history.

Michigan? Vermont?

Oil heating not so common here. Gas is what most Michiganders have ... of course with a few exceptions just like everywhere.

J

Jsimp342

Good start.

Michigan? Vermont?

Upstate NY lol so dry and cold winters

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Upstate NY lol so dry and cold winters
Dry air inside the house typical of gas forced air, cold winters ... great lakes effects our weather patterns here. In my basement I have zero need for a humidifier ... ever. The dehumidifier is a different story although in winter its not likely to be run. That's more of a spring/fall thing here. Cooling is carbon filter system moving air through the tent. Air always moving with tower oscillating fans. Only on the coldest nights do I need a heater. My basement is part of the central heating and cooling system and that makes a difference year around regardless of seasons.

But here's the thing ... go to another house here. Same climate, different house ... the setup wouldn't necessarily be the same. You've got a good start going, but until you have the garden going some of this will be an unknown.

I never saw the answer about your ventilation system ... venting outside the tent or completely outside the house?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Dry air inside the house typical of gas forced air, cold winters ... great lakes effects our weather patterns here. In my basement I have zero need for a humidifier ... ever. The dehumidifier is a different story although in winter its not likely to be run. That's more of a spring/fall thing here. Cooling is carbon filter system moving air through the tent. Air always moving with tower oscillating fans. Only on the coldest nights do I need a heater. My basement is part of the central heating and cooling system and that makes a difference year around regardless of seasons.

But here's the thing ... go to another house here. Same climate, different house ... the setup wouldn't necessarily be the same. You've got a good start going, but until you have the garden going some of this will be an unknown.

I never saw the answer about your ventilation system ... venting outside the tent or completely outside the house?
100%. I spent several years in Grand Rapids when my kids were babies. I think I’ll be back to retire up that way before it’s over.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'd only grow 4 in it anyway, but that's me. Others are certain to suggest more. Your plants will appreciate the extra space and so will you when its time to take care of them.

I grow in my mechanical room. My furnace is in there. So is my water heater. Each home is different but plenty of air for all in mine so likely yours too... The rest will come as you get to know your space/fans etc and how to best utilize your equipment.
Ever measure CO2? I’ll bet naturally high.

J

Jsimp342

Exhausted Completely outside, I think with this new light I won’t need as much heat. The 6 inch exhaust pulls the heat out fast even on low, humidity as well but once plants fill space humidity is not an issue at all

J

Jsimp342

Exhausted Completely outside, I think with this new light I won’t need as much heat. The 6 inch exhaust pulls the heat out fast even on low, humidity as well but once plants fill space humidity is not an issue at all

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It will also potentially suck out heating and cooling from the rest of the house.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

You may want to consider exhaust indoors in the winter. Save the $

Latest posts

Top Bottom