Don’t Believe The Hype! Potent Pot, So What?

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Don’t Believe The Hype! Potent Pot, So What?
May 14th, 2009 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

UPDATE!!! You can also read and leave feedback on this post at The Hill’s influential Congress blog here or on Huffington Post here.

“This ain’t your grandfather’s or your father’s marijuana. This will hurt you. This will addict you. This will kill you.”– Mark R. Trouville, DEA Miami, speaking to the Associated Press (June 22, 2007)

Government claims that today’s pot is more potent, and thus more dangerous to health, than ever before must be taken with a grain of salt.

Federal officials have made similarly dire assertions before. In a 2004 Reuters News Wire story, government officials alleged, “Pot is no longer the gentle weed of the 1960s and may pose a greater threat than cocaine or even heroin.” (Anti-drug officials failed to explain why, if previous decades’ pot was so “gentle” and innocuous, police still arrested you for it.)

In 2007, Reuters again highlighted the alleged record rise in cannabis potency, proclaiming, “U.S. marijuana grows stronger than before: report.” Quoted in the news story was ex-Drug Czar John Walters, who warned, “This report underscores that we are no longer talking about the drug of the 1960s and 1970s — this is Pot 2.0.”

Predictably, in 2008 the mainstream news media ran with yet another set of ‘news’ stories alleging that the pot plant’s strength had reached all-time highs. According to a June 12, 2008 Associated Press story:

“The latest analysis from the University of Mississippi’s Potency Monitoring Project tracked the average amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in samples seized by law enforcement agencies from 1975 through 2007. It found that the average amount of THC reached 9.6 percent in 2007, compared with 8.75 percent the previous year.”

Or not. An actual review of the 2008 U-Miss data revealed this nugget of information: The average THC in domestically grown marijuana — which comprises the bulk of the US market — is less than five percent, a figure that’s remained unchanged for nearly a decade. (See: http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/pdf/FullPotencyReports.pdf, page 12)

Which brings us to this year. Naturally, the Feds are once again sounding the alarm, as reported today by CNN: “Marijuana potency surpasses 10 percent, U.S. says.”

I suppose, if nothing else, the government’s annual “new and improved pot” claims are good advertising for marijuana dealers. As for the rest of the public, it’s time for a reality check.

First, it’s worth noting that police and lawmakers made these same alarmist claims about the suddenly not-as-dangerous-or-strong-as-we-once-said-it-was pot of the 1960s, ’70s, and 80s. These allegations were false then and they are still false now.

Second, THC — regardless of potency — is virtually non-toxic to healthy cells or organs, and is incapable of causing a fatal overdose. Currently, doctors may legally prescribe a FDA-approved pill that contains 100 percent THC, and curiously, nobody at the University of Mississippi or at the Drug Czar’s office seems to be overly concerned about its potential health effects.

Third, survey data gleaned from cannabis consumers in the Netherlands—where users may legally purchase pot of known quality—indicates that most cannabis consumers prefer less potent pot, just as the majority of those who drink alcohol prefer beer or wine rather than 190 proof Everclear or Bacardi 151. When consumers encounter unusually strong varieties of marijuana, they adjust their use accordingly and smoke less.

Finally, if US lawmakers and government researchers were truly concerned about potential risks posed by supposedly stronger marijuana, they would support regulating the drug, so that its potency would be consistent and this information would publicly displayed to the consumer. (Anyone ever been to a liquor store that sold a brand of booze that didn’t post its alcohol content on the label? Didn’t think so.)

So let’s review, shall we? Our federal government ostensibly wants fewer Americans to consume pot. So they spend billions of dollars outlawing the plant and driving its producers underground where breeders, over time, clandestinely develop stronger and more sophisticated herbal strains than ever existed prior to prohibition. The Feds then inadvertently give America’s marijuana growers billions of dollars in free advertising by telling the world that today’s weed is more potent than anything Allen Ginsberg, Tommy Chong or Jerry Garcia ever smoked in their heyday. In response, tens of millions of Americans head immediately to their nearest street-corner in search of a dealer (or college student) willing to sell them a dimebag of the new, super-potent cannabis they’ve been hearing about on TV. The Feds then demand more of your hard-earned tax dollars so they can get more Americans “off the pot.”

Then next year we do it all over again: same time, same station.

Any questions?

G

greenthumb

until they find a way to tax the plants we grow it will never be legal and they will continue with these rediculous propergander stories plus they will always be able to find some expert that will say what ever the government want them to.
the government doesnt care about its citizens just how much they can take from us and god help anybody that doesnt agree with them.

G

greenthumb

its the same with any large organization relgion included

M

mikeexpo

Don't forget the jails traded on the stock exchange by the # of people they inside.

H

HazemannHå

I, for one welcome our new “new and improved pot” breeding overlords :icon_cookie:

S

StonedOwl

Smart man haze, beat them to the chase. :)

Its astounding to me that they still use these old propaganda techniques in this day in age. I mean come on, we got the net. Any lie they start spreading is immediately crushed by the awesome power of internet nerd truth.
Come on government you can do better than that.......pussy. :middlefinger

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Where can i obtain the seeds for this dangerous pot?? lmao

all the pot i grow is human safe :)

M

MagicDro

When will ALL THE BS stop? The lies are so ignorant, it's hard to believe people are buying all the crap that's being dished out.

T

Time

Third, survey data gleaned from cannabis consumers in the Netherlands—where users may legally purchase pot of known quality—indicates that most cannabis consumers prefer less potent pot, just as the majority of those who drink alcohol prefer beer or wine rather than 190 proof Everclear or Bacardi 151. When consumers encounter unusually strong varieties of marijuana, they adjust their use accordingly and smoke less.

And all this time I thought people drank beer and/or wine because pounding down a 12oz bottle of Bacardi 151 was just too hard on the stomach. It turns out that they didn't want to get as drunk:sign0065:... Silly me.

Does he know why people usually order mixed (cocktails) when they order liquor? I can't think for myself... Oh well what do I know?

The more potent the pot, the less you need to smoke to get the desired effect. Smoking is bad for you therefore it makes sense to want to smoke less...duh.

That guy did a great job of making his case. It's too bad for the typical dummied down sheep that they were unable to see that he was obfuscating the facts

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

30 percent..

cnn last night saying..its now 30 percent!!

ooohhh nooo...anderson coopers concerned, face it...they havent tested thatt alientech strain from cali conection yet!!

bet that ones at 37 percent or better!

oh..it cant become legal i the states...because so much moneys involved in destroying cannabis.:fighting0087:

I

in the air

the weed i am smoking better not be only 10% thc level hahahahaha

ITA :afroweed:

S

Simple Simon

If Government agents, Reporters, and Assholes could fly under there own power ( bullshit ) The U.S. would be a one giant airport !!! ------------SS

S

s4m

Don't forget the jails traded on the stock exchange by the # of people they inside.

the British police force is the same traded on the stock market!.

might explain the revenue exorcise they are going through, A FINE FOR EVERYTHING?.

All while the goverment are lineing there own pockets.

please excuse me as i am smokeing that 2.0 blunt!.:D

s4m

F

FastForward

2.0? Fuck that - they've not been smoking the oils, and I'm working on 3.0 ;)

Jack_Baybeh

Jack_Baybeh

I saw some government cronie on MSNBC the other night speaking on this subject. Started refering to todays herb as being "Geneticly Engineered", trying to make it sound all sinister and shit. What? "geneticly engineered" like corporate agriculture wants to engineer our vegetable crops? It's called selective breeding you assholes. I'm no breeder, but from what I do understand,there would have always had to have been highly potent herb around for there to be highly potent herb today. I mean you can't cross two strains of ditch weed and see THC jump from 1% to 15%. What about all those kick ass sativas from the late 60's -70's. Anyway, just more bullshit propaganda IMHO.

S

Simple Simon

I saw some government cronie on MSNBC the other night speaking on this subject. Started refering to todays herb as being "Geneticly Engineered", trying to make it sound all sinister and shit. What? "geneticly engineered" like corporate agriculture wants to engineer our vegetable crops? It's called selective breeding you assholes. I'm no breeder, but from what I do understand,there would have always had to have been highly potent herb around for there to be highly potent herb today. I mean you can't cross two strains of ditch weed and see THC jump from 1% to 15%. What about all those kick ass sativas from the late 60's -70's. Anyway, just more bullshit propaganda IMHO.
I smoked some Thai weed in the early 70s that would make you puke on one big hit and then you would trip your ass off for 2 hrs and be pleasantly stoned for 3 more so I think like you this is all bullshit!!!-------------SS

K

KushMaster707

why dont the feds worry about the strength of the opiods that are being prescribed everyday ruining many of pples lives. its an actual benefit that pot potency has improved thus making it a more logical medication(being able to use less!) due to the prices of it being federally illegal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom