Done drying before stems snap?

• Thread starter PadawanBuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PadawanBuds

PadawanBuds

Recently, sadly my 2 plants got too dry while waiting for the recommended stem snap before jarring them. By the time I jarred them the humidity was only reading 35%. Is it common for buds to be ready to jar before the small stems snap during drying? very disappointed with the outcome as they were so beautiful and now there very average without curing. A semesters worth of work, care and attention down the drain and now I'm stuck with 7 ounces of this shit lol very happy with he yield from only 2 plants, but still.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you have a few fresh leaves from another plant, you can also bring the moisture in your jar up to curing humidity by clipping them and adding to the jars. Get a hygrometer to test humidity in the jars.

Once you know the scent of reefer curing at the right humidity, you won't need to check humidity anymore.

PadawanBuds

PadawanBuds

Just get boveda humidity packs. Get the 60% humidity and put in jar. Burp jar for 2 or 3 days and your buds should be a bit better.
but is it common for buds to be ready to jar before the stems snap? The buds felt crisp the outside with some sponge left to them a day before I cut them down, but the stems still weren't snapping. Also, I do have the boveda packs which def helped with how they felt at least!

PadawanBuds

PadawanBuds

If you have a few fresh leaves from another plant, you can also bring the moisture in your jar up to curing humidity by clipping them and adding to the jars. Get a hygrometer to test humidity in the jars.

Once you know the scent of reefer curing at the right humidity, you won't need to check humidity anymore.
I thought once the buds fall below 55% rh that the cure is over? I like that idea, sadly I don't have any new plants going yet. I do have the hygrometers actually. When I put all the buds int he jars and sealed them and checked the hygrometer it was sadly all ready at 35 - 40% rh. This is my first grow, and I don't know anyone else who grows so I have nobody to bounce this stuff off of lol

growsince79

growsince79

Recently, sadly my 2 plants got too dry while waiting for the recommended stem snap before jarring them. By the time I jarred them the humidity was only reading 35%. Is it common for buds to be ready to jar before the small stems snap during drying? very disappointed with the outcome as they were so beautiful and now there very average without curing. A semesters worth of work, care and attention down the drain and now I'm stuck with 7 ounces of this shit lol very happy with he yield from only 2 plants, but still.
Did you check the moisture content? Humidity measures moisture in air- not bud moisture. Every bud I grow breaks off the stem and still has the perfect moisture. I wonder why yours is different?

PadawanBuds

PadawanBuds

Did you check the moisture content? Humidity measures moisture in air- not bud moisture. Every bud I grow breaks off the stem and still has the perfect moisture. I wonder why yours is different?
I mean, I broke open a few nugs and did a smoke test on each and both smoked well, but the buds were dry without turning to powder. So I just put the boveda packs in right away and have had them in darkness regardless since I jarred them even though I don't think they're curing at this point bc they dried too much. Is there a better was of measure bud moisture?
Stems not the stalks
I was referring to the stems, and they didn't break and make that snapping sound until they were too dry somehow, idk why. I had the ecosystem spot on with temp and humidity in my tent

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I mean, I broke open a few nugs and did a smoke test on each and both smoked well, but the buds were dry without turning to powder. So I just put the boveda packs in right away and have had them in darkness regardless since I jarred them even though I don't think they're curing at this point bc they dried too much. Is there a better was of measure bud moisture?

I was referring to the stems, and they didn't break and make that snapping sound until they were too dry somehow, idk why. I had the ecosystem spot on with temp and humidity in my tent
yes trichomes ripen with age whether weed is over dried., though many factors will determine taste.. etc..

growsince79

growsince79

When the buds break off the big stems its ready to trim. Moisture content can be calculated by weighing a bud then drying it completely and weighing again. Optimal moisture for cured bud is 8-10%.

Madmax

Madmax

Sounds like your room was too warm! to low humidity or even a fan could do it.. 16-20 deg cel is what i aim for 55-64% humidity with a fan going with gentle breeze .not at them..just to keep air moving..

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I thought once the buds fall below 55% rh that the cure is over? I like that idea, sadly I don't have any new plants going yet. I do have the hygrometers actually. When I put all the buds int he jars and sealed them and checked the hygrometer it was sadly all ready at 35 - 40% rh. This is my first grow, and I don't know anyone else who grows so I have nobody to bounce this stuff off of lol

It may be because I have lived in moister climates than where you live and the moisture of my buds didn't drop quite that low, but I have found you can remoisten weed and get it curing again. It could take a week to get it up to the right moisture content.

Curing is due to aerobic bacteria. Unless they were wiped out by heat, they may revive and become active again when the moisture content is high enough. It seems to have worked for me in the past.

Moisten a paper towel, squeeze out all the water so it's just a damp piece of pulp, and put that in a jar as an experiment (not will all your weed — maybe an ounce).

Last edited:
zigzagtop

zigzagtop

With too dry bud, I use orange peels...10 cent pieces, put about 5 or 6 dime size pieces of orange/lemon/lime peels per every ounce of buds. It'll moisten up your stash...but check it often, like every few hours, because you can overdo it and end up with bud you can't smoke cuz it's too wet. Seriously. It works.

Top Bottom