Drainage Material or Soil to the Bottom?

• Thread starter Tcnchw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tcnchw

Tcnchw

Hello,
I'm on my second grow. The first go was not particularly planned and I tried to complete everything "correctly" and mostly recycled/on the cheaper side. For this reason I'm growing in 5 gallon buckets (home depot style). When I was planning to repot my seedlings I had a ton of small glass spice bottles and decided to line the bottom of my buckets with them. I placed them all top down with no tops in the bottom of my buckets before adding soil.

I'm moving on to my third grow and
now think I may be using too much space in my pots with the glass and was wondering if all you soil growers have soil to the bottom or if you have good results with rocks/sand or other materials.

Thank you in advance for any insight! I have already answered many questions and found a wealth of knowledge using this forum.
20201018_114153.jpg

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I start with a layer of soil, followed by soil. Then I think to myself, "Is that enough soil?" If not, I add more. No quick-drain materials at all.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Your soil mix has plenty of perlite or other similar material, right? If so, you should have no problem.

Tcnchw

Tcnchw

Thanks for the responses! I know it's more of an elementary question. Y'all are great!

euphoria526

euphoria526

I always do a thing layer of perlite on the bottom to help any issues. Not sure if I’ve had issue because it’s worked lol

Top Bottom