Draining the UC system

• Thread starter bdawg22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bdawg22

Everyone,

In my veg room I have two of the 16 buckets 25" 8 gallon systems that are hooked up as one. Basically they are only using one reservoir. I bought a Mag Pump 950 gph to make the draining quick. My problem is I cant get the crap to work. I bought 3/4" tubing and cut it into two pieces. One piece from the reservoir to the pump and the other from the pump to a sink about 45ft away. What am I doing wrong?

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Everyone,

In my veg room I have two of the 16 buckets 25" 8 gallon systems that are hooked up as one. Basically they are only using one reservoir. I bought a Mag Pump 950 gph to make the draining quick. My problem is I cant get the crap to work. I bought 3/4" tubing and cut it into two pieces. One piece from the reservoir to the pump and the other from the pump to a sink about 45ft away. What am I doing wrong?

Take some pics...

first try the pump close to the epi-center for a couple seconds. If it doesn't do anything take the pump back.

B

Baddog

Might Need to prime the pump depending on where its at?

B

Bong Hit Willie

45' is a long way to pump the water for a 950, is it uphill at all? When you look at the specs on the pump you want to look at your output at 45' head! This head pressure will tell you what you can pump. I'm sure your 950 will work SLOWLY if you prime it IMO I would get a larger pump.
BHW

squarepusher

squarepusher

45' is a long way to pump the water for a 950, is it uphill at all? When you look at the specs on the pump you want to look at your output at 45' head! This head pressure will tell you what you can pump. I'm sure your 950 will work SLOWLY if you prime it IMO I would get a larger pump.
BHW

head refers to vertical height. Pumping 45 feet away shouldn't be a problem for most any pump

B

bdawg22

Thanks for the feedback. The run is flat from the epicenter to the outside where it can drain. If im not mistaken those Mag Pumps can be submersible so I was thinking of just putting it directly into the epicenter and then have one 3/4" line going out. Any feedback?

Eternal Student

Eternal Student

Make sure your return line is not vertically higher than the inlet on your pump. If it is, your pump wont function, i went through this with my mag drives as well. CC supplies us with the 3/4" tubing that lays down between the return manifold and the pump inlet so it negates this issue. When your running pvc, and it sounds like you are, it may end up vertically higher than the inlet on your pump depending on the orientation of your return manifold(some are more angled than straight due to mfg variations). Instructions on the mag drive boxes state that the pump must be below the water level..i believe...which seems to contradict what i have just said, but this is my personal experience. As soon as i lowered my line connecting my return mani to my pump, it started working perfectly.

B

bdawg22

Make sure your return line is not vertically higher than the inlet on your pump. If it is, your pump wont function, i went through this with my mag drives as well. CC supplies us with the 3/4" tubing that lays down between the return manifold and the pump inlet so it negates this issue. When your running pvc, and it sounds like you are, it may end up vertically higher than the inlet on your pump depending on the orientation of your return manifold(some are more angled than straight due to mfg variations). Instructions on the mag drive boxes state that the pump must be below the water level..i believe...which seems to contradict what i have just said, but this is my personal experience. As soon as i lowered my line connecting my return mani to my pump, it started working perfectly.

So are you talking about disconnecting the pipe that comes into the manifold/epicenter and hooking that up to the mag pump? The other side would go out to drain? Not quite sure if I understand where you hook the pump up to.

Eternal Student

Eternal Student

you'll have to excuse my lack of attention to detail. I was a little medicated last night, and misinterpreted what your problem was(didnt read well). I thought you were just having issues with getting the pump to work in your system. As far as draining is concerned, my situation is best suited for hand pumping with an air pressurized pump that cost me like 20 bucks at home depot. If you want to drain your system with the pump, you only need to connect the 3/4 hosing to the drain on the side of your bucket and connect it to the pump and have tubing connected to the other end where you want to take your water. It sounds like this may be what you have already done. If so, make sure that you are using enough tubing from the epicenter drain to the pump, enough so, so that the tubing lays down on the ground. Trust me, it matters. I'm not sure if the 8 gallons have the drain valve on the bottom of the bucket though. If not, just connect the pump to the return manifold at the end of your system. This will make the run to your sink shorter anyway. just make sure you are using enough tubing. And if you go this route, make sure you lift up the existing tubing coming from your return mani after you disconnect so that water wont rush out everywhere, then attach your pump and have at it. Wow that was quite a bit of rambling, let me know if you have any questions or if I didnt address your problem.

Top Bottom