Drooping Leaves In Coco

• Thread starter bibiking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bibiking

this is Northern-Light (fem). I grow in coco/perlite (50/50).
I left my house for 3 days, so I watered it by having a small rope touch the coco on one end, and touch water on the other end (so the coco will stay humid, but it is not wet).

I also TURNED OFF the lights during the 3 days.

when I came back, the leaves were drooping. this is a photo after 24 hours of light (and without the rope).

did it happen because of the darkness? did I over watered? CAN I over water coco/perlite?

most important - what should I do now???

thank you all guys

Drooping leaves in coco
xinobyte

xinobyte

You shouldn't have left them in the dark for 3 days, a better option would have been 24hrs of light.

Is your medium wet or dry ?
If it's wet don't water again until your pot feels light when picked up.
If it's dry and you can pick up the pot effortlessly, water them.

Coco coir can be overwatered very easily if you water even when the medium is soaking wet.
Size matters as well, if you have a seedling in a large container you don't want to soak the medium completely.

You want to water around the base of the stem and keep increasing the diameter until you've got a developed root mass.

20% runoff when watering is also a must to flush the old nutrients from the coco otherwise, they'll keep piling up and ruin your plants.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would guess the 3 days of darkness stressed the shit out of it. You’re probably going to have to give it at least a week to recover. @xinobyte has some good points like always getting runoff. However you never want to let it dry out. That is a soil technique. Coco needs to be watered with nutrients daily. Even if the medium is already moist. Coco is hydroponic growing. With a 50/50 mix it’s going to drain really fast. You have to keep the coco charged with fresh nutes. I water my veg plants 3 times a day and 4 times a day in flower. Absolutely explosive growth once the roots are established. Good luck.

B

bibiking

Thank you guys :)
the coco is wet, I will let it dry and hope for the best.
I always runoff, of course.

I do have 2 more pots next to it with same condition, and they are alive and well, so it's hard for me to believe it was the darkness that stressed it like this.
what do you think?

Enforcer

Enforcer

The short answer is different phenos may react differently to stress.

You can let that coco dry out if you want. But over time you’ll start to see nutrient deficiency in your plant, caused by the nutrients being locked out, due to the buildup of salts in the coco. Which will cause you to mistakenly feed it more. Thinking your not feeding enough. Making the buildup worse each time it drys out. This cycle usually results in frustration and failure in new coco growers. The solution is to flush and feed daily. Just so you already know how to fix it when it happens.

Anyway, my timer got messed up once and the light was only on for an hour. The rest of the light cycle was darkness. So they were in the dark for 35 out of 36 hours. Stunted my plants for a full week.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The plants are fine, but they might stall or possibly grow strange from turning to flowering mode during the 3 days of darkness.
The leaves droop like that searching for light and will look normal again in a day or two. The plants might stretch a little from the dark, but they will recover and be OK. Stress resulting in a Hermi is a possibility, so keep your eyes open for flowers when you turn to 12/12. The total darkness might cause it to turn to flower mode, then back to vegging mode...the confused result can sometimes cause it to grow very bushy. All is well.

chemistry

chemistry

I do have 2 more pots next to it with same condition, and they are alive and well, so it's hard for me to believe it was the darkness that stressed it like this.
what do you think?

Have a look at Enforcer's grow log before you decide to dry out your coco, because getting coco to rehydrate before your fine roots die off and your plants start to suffer can be a real trial. Coco is meant to be free draining so you can hammer it with nuits, I kept my coco grows (before I moved into DWC) moist all the time by feeding 4 times a day.

chemistry

chemistry

what do you think?

Check out Enforcers grow log before you let your coco dry out, it's has the information you need.

xinobyte

xinobyte

I wasn't suggesting to let the coco dry out completely, of course you don't want that.
You just don't want it to be soaking wet all the time and drown the roots either or end up with green algea.
The pot lifting technique can be useful for coco too, you just have to be careful and not wait too long.

I thought i explained myself pretty well but whatever.
I guess i need to keep working on my English.

Monster762

Monster762

I left my house for 3 days, so I watered it by having a small rope touch the coco on one end, and touch water on the other end (so the coco will stay humid, but it is not wet).

when I came back, the leaves were drooping. this is a photo after 24 hours of light (and without the rope).

did it happen because of the darkness? did I over watered? CAN I over water coco/perlite?

thank you all guys
Answered yourself I’m pretty sure. Over and underwAter will both droop so that’s one. And lights off 3 days. Usually they reach in dark but maybe you pushed it too far. Give em light n good feed. Just my opinion no pro at all

Monster762

Monster762

I’m running mostly coco mix and seems a good water once a day is ok so far in 4 gallons. But haven’t hit 12/12 yet so I’m sure the demand will go up.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I’m running mostly coco mix and seems a good water once a day is ok so far in 4 gallons. But haven’t hit 12/12 yet so I’m sure the demand will go up.

I've never used Coco, but I'm guessing it is similar to Promix as far as it's water holding ability goes. I give them 1 to 1.5 gallons a day typically...when it goes to 12/12, I often have to put a catch basin under the bucket to keep most of the water available to the plant. Catch basins are great but you need to be careful to avoid sitting water in them...unless it is dry in the basin, they don't get anything to drink.

M

MendoFyah

thank you all guys

B

bibiking

Hi guys, this is how it looks like after 24 hours of light.
is it going to die? can I rescue it? can it be caused by 3 days of darkness?

also, I read somewhere that the "biological clock" of cannabis works by light, meaning it only counts hours of light (and not hours of darkness). isn't it true?

Deel
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Things

also, I read somewhere that the "biological clock" of cannabis works by light, meaning it only counts hours of light (and not hours of darkness). isn't it true?

I hate to say it, but this one doesn't look long for this world, despite my earlier optimism. I haven't seen the lack of light do what you show in the pictures...typically it just gets pale and gangly. 3 days of darkness can also trigger flowering. Did you possibly overfertilize it or let it freeze? The plant looks like it needs water, which can be caused by overwatering/drowning the roots. Over-fertilizing can draw water out of the plant, causing the wilted look.
What would I do? I would probably remove it from the bucket, making sure to get as big of an area around it to keep roots from breaking off. Then, I would examine the roots and look for root rot or other signs of root issues. I would rinse the roots off and re-plant it in a neutral soil, without any nutes. If it recovers and the roots looked good, then you know it was probably an overfertilization problem. It looks like it needs water, so make sure it isn't something as simple as not enough water...if the soil is wet, then the problem isn't lack of water since a wilted plant shows some recovery within a few hours if the dirt is too dry. The way that it has deteriorated so quickly makes me think it's a fertilizer issue, but I am assuming that you have been providing enough water, although all that you really mentioned was the rope wick. Could it be something as simple as needing water...have you watered it since finding it in distress?

3 balls

3 balls

I'm wondering how cold it got while you were away and what are your current temps? BTW, I have seen worse come around and end up a champ.

3 balls

3 balls

I wasn't suggesting to let the coco dry out completely, of course you don't want that.
You just don't want it to be soaking wet all the time and drown the roots either or end up with green algea.
The pot lifting technique can be useful for coco too, you just have to be careful and not wait too long.

I thought i explained myself pretty well but whatever.
I guess i need to keep working on my English.
Your post was on point in my opinion. For my part I was being a smart ass, I don't water 37 times a day. I get a kick out of the its coco you have to water more stuff. Personally I have seen many more problems with guys overwatering in coco.

Top Bottom