Drooping Plants - Solve This Argument PLEASE!

• Thread starter BiophysPhD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BiophysPhD

BiophysPhD

Is this an overwatering problem or room temp problem? PLEASE read the entire post because it includes valuable context that is necessary for you to know in order to answer in a meaningful and relevant manner.
I let a fellow grower use some space in my facility so he can grow a few plants as he doesn't have the space.
His plants have been consistently droopy and even though they're growing right next to my plants, which are healthy and vibrant and problem free, his have been droopy.
I have tried to tell him that he is over watering. His plants are in 1, 3 and 5 gallon pots, he uses Promix and perlite. The room temp is 74 degrees with humidity around 40%-50%. His pH stays between 6 and 6.5. His water temp going in is around 70. I don't know what his ppm or if he measures ppm..
He is growing Bruce Banner, Galactic Runtz, Buckin Runtz and Pineapple Muffin. His plants are 4 weeks old (week 4 of veg).
He waters his plants every single day. For his 1 gallon plants, he gives them 1 gallon of water EACH, every day. 2 gallons of water for his 2 gallon plants and 4 for his 5 gallon plants. His runoff is voluminous and nonstop. He does this every single day. His drip pans are always full or over flowing (and he only dumps them if they're overflowing which is a huge peeve of mine but whatever, that's another issue.)
He also periodically sprays with neem oil.
He uses Advanced Nutrients (full Sensi line).
The plants live under a Grower's Choice pro/commercial LED at 60%. The room is on 18/6.
Now, I have a few plants of my own in the same room and living in the same conditions except I have DWCs and a 4 bucket modified hydrofall system. My plants are growing incident and problem free. Same lights, same temp, same humidity, circulation and ventilation, photoperiod, photo intensity, density,, etc.. No CO2 in that room.
I am using GH (grow, micro, bloom program) with hygrozyme, Mammoth, HyShield, Drip Guard.
I have told him for weeks now, that he is overwatering the absolute balls out of his plants but he is dead set on blaming the room temperature. He wants it above 78 and is claiming that because the room isn't above 78, that's why his plants are droopy ... not because he's overwatering.
He doesn't think that his drip pans overflowing, the 100% runoff, the non-stop river of water that runs off his pots 24 hours a day is an issue. He says it's the temp - despite the fact that I have plants RIGHT NEXT TO HIS, that are perfectly fine.
Could you please look at the photos and let me know if you agree or disagree with my overwatering diagnosis - based on the pictures and the information above, do you think his plants are drooping becauseofthe room temp or because he is over watering? Please feel free to ask for more information if you need it.
I am including the photos of his plants, and a few of mine for comparison. I have labeled mine, "MY - HYDRO" and his as "HIS - SOIL."
Thank you for your insight!

Drooping plants   solve this argument please
Drooping plants   solve this argument please 2
Drooping plants   solve this argument please 3
Drooping plants   solve this argument please 4
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is this an overwatering problem or room temp problem? PLEASE read the entire post because it includes valuable context that is necessary for you to know in order to answer in a meaningful and relevant manner.
I let a fellow grower use some space in my facility so he can grow a few plants as he doesn't have the space.
His plants have been consistently droopy and even though they're growing right next to my plants, which are healthy and vibrant and problem free, his have been droopy.
I have tried to tell him that he is over watering. His plants are in 1, 3 and 5 gallon pots, he uses Promix and perlite. The room temp is 74 degrees with humidity around 40%-50%. His pH stays between 6 and 6.5. His water temp going in is around 70. I don't know what his ppm or if he measures ppm..
He is growing Bruce Banner, Galactic Runtz, Buckin Runtz and Pineapple Muffin. His plants are 4 weeks old (week 4 of veg).
He waters his plants every single day. For his 1 gallon plants, he gives them 1 gallon of water EACH, every day. 2 gallons of water for his 2 gallon plants and 4 for his 5 gallon plants. His runoff is voluminous and nonstop. He does this every single day. His drip pans are always full or over flowing (and he only dumps them if they're overflowing which is a huge peeve of mine but whatever, that's another issue.)
He also periodically sprays with neem oil.
He uses Advanced Nutrients (full Sensi line).
The plants live under a Grower's Choice pro/commercial LED at 60%. The room is on 18/6.
Now, I have a few plants of my own in the same room and living in the same conditions except I have DWCs and a 4 bucket modified hydrofall system. My plants are growing incident and problem free. Same lights, same temp, same humidity, circulation and ventilation, photoperiod, photo intensity, density,, etc.. No CO2 in that room.
I am using GH (grow, micro, bloom program) with hygrozyme, Mammoth, HyShield, Drip Guard.
I have told him for weeks now, that he is overwatering the absolute balls out of his plants but he is dead set on blaming the room temperature. He wants it above 78 and is claiming that because the room isn't above 78, that's why his plants are droopy ... not because he's overwatering.
He doesn't think that his drip pans overflowing, the 100% runoff, the non-stop river of water that runs off his pots 24 hours a day is an issue. He says it's the temp - despite the fact that I have plants RIGHT NEXT TO HIS, that are perfectly fine.
Could you please look at the photos and let me know if you agree or disagree with my overwatering diagnosis - based on the pictures and the information above, do you think his plants are drooping becauseofthe room temp or because he is over watering? Please feel free to ask for more information if you need it.
I am including the photos of his plants, and a few of mine for comparison. I have labeled mine, "MY - HYDRO" and his as "HIS - SOIL."
Thank you for your insight!
Temps aren't helping but cold wet roots is likely as you say the cause. If it was coco/perlite I can see watering like that but not in a peat mix.

Warmer temps should increase uptake which allows you to water to saturation first thing in the morning and they should be able to take up enough water through the day to avoid being soaked over night.... if not the pots are to big.

Ideally you want about 2 days for the plants to uptake enough water before watering again... maybe 3 if just up potted or likewise I feel the pots are to big.

Sounds like he is trying to water like it's coco perlite which can handle that and still provide adequate o2 levels. Unfortunately even in coco if the temps aren't high enough it can be an issue.

I'd say yes while the temps aren't helping they are definitely overwatered and should never sit in runoff. In peat and soil generally you need a good wet dry cycle and Ideally should be around 2-3 days if they are in the proper sized pots

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
attitude is the problem, you are doing him a favor! if he doesnt like the temp, move them out! so... the question, i know nothing, but even the houseplants dont like sitting in runoff so i would guess its the water. ...but i would BET Aquaman's assessment was spot on.

besides... its always the water! lol. i repeat to myself most days, "dont over water, dont over water, dont over water"

BiophysPhD

BiophysPhD

Just adding he should only be watering forst thing at lights on to allow uptake through the day so they don't sit in o2 depleted media with soaked roots.
This is definitely all stuff that I know and have told him over and over and over. But apparently it's going to take a forum of other people to repeat it before he'll understand.

BiophysPhD

BiophysPhD

Temps aren't helping but cold wet roots is likely as you say the cause. If it was coco/perlite I can see watering like that but not in a peat mix.

Warmer temps should increase uptake which allows you to water to saturation first thing in the morning and they should be able to take up enough water through the day to avoid being soaked over night.... if not the pots are to big.

Ideally you want about 2 days for the plants to uptake enough water before watering again... maybe 3 if just up potted or likewise I feel the pots are to big.

Sounds like he is trying to water like it's coco perlite which can handle that and still provide adequate o2 levels. Unfortunately even in coco if the temps aren't high enough it can be an issue.

I'd say yes while the temps aren't helping they are definitely overwatered and should never sit in runoff. In peat and soil generally you need a good wet dry cycle and Ideally should be around 2-3 days if they are in the proper sized pots
The only way that I would agree that it's the temp was if my plants, which are perfectly perky, weren't right next to his plants in the same exact room, 1 foot away.
What's aggravating me is that I literally have a master's degree, am pursuing a PhD and have been growing for almost 20 years and have spelled all of this out for him but he is insistent that the ONLY issue is the temp. Again, a ludacris statement because I have healthy perky plants right next to his. He ALSO has plants in another room where the temp is higher and they're still drooping to the ground.
The reason I am here is to amass answers from across the globe from fellow growers of all different experience levels, that support the over watering diagnosis and I can tell him to shut up. I don't know why he isn't listening to me. But perhaps when I show him all of your replies, he'll finally get it.

BiophysPhD

BiophysPhD

Overwatering. Simple. And plain.
Thank you! So tomorrow when he comes to me running his mouth about his sad-ass plants, I'm going to show him all of these responses and hopefully, with him seeing how other growers from around the globe diagnosed his plants, he'll wise up and shut up and he'll stop drowning his girls.
It's sad to see cannabis plants suffering when the fix is SO FRIKKING EASY!! Just let them dry up a bit bro!! Like, damn ... they're not aquatic plants!! He goes through more water than I do and I'm a frikkin hydroponic grower!!

Panhead59

Panhead59

He should be trying to mimic your practice at the least, I'm still changing and rearranging my grows lol. Gotta be open minded
How about a compromise ? Propose drying one out, just to see what happens. Or make a bet with him. Some incentive. Remember your sych 101 class. Some angle to prove it.

Panhead59

Panhead59

How about a compromise ? Propose drying one out, just to see what happens. Or make a bet with him. Some incentive. Remember your sych 101 class. Some angle to prove it.
Convince him, don't tell him, is what I'm proposing.

TSD

TSD

Yeahhh.... wayyyy overwatered. I'm currently in promix awaiting our move outdoors. My small ladies, which are a bit younger are in one gal pots and my big ladies which are about 2 months into veg are in 3 gallon pots. They get watered twice a week max. I let them dry till the leaves start to droop a lil so I know they are very thirsty and ready to be saturated. My little closet is between 70-78 constantly, humidity around 50 all the time, and my girls are thriving and happy... he's drowning those girls. Why doesn't he do an experiment to prove his hypothesis if he's so smart, leave one to completely dry out between waterings and see if the droop improves. Also no plant unless it's in a rainforest likes sitting in water... even then, probably not... that's how you rot your roots and slow your growth. How long has he been growing? Sounds a bit arrogant for someone that is doing the wrong things...

Top Bottom